PDA

View Full Version : Giftcards for party favors

mamica
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM
So just to keep it simple, and meet the varying interests of the different age levels attending dc's bday party, we're doing giftcards (either Borders or a local specialty toy store) instead of goodie bags. There will be 10-15 kids (family & close friends), along with their parents, at the party. How much value would you put on each gift card? $5 doesn't seem like enough, but $10 each is getting kind of expensive in total. WWYD?

MelissaTC
09-20-2008, 10:13 PM
I know some people love the $2 gift certificates to Baskin Robbins. It buys a kid cone or cup. If I was doing regular gcs, I would stick to $5 each because $10 seems like it could be costly. But I guess that is up to your budget.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2008, 10:19 PM
I'd cap it at $5. They can always use it towards buying something else. The bookstore might be a better bet thoughh b/c there are lots of ooks under $5.

I gave out $3 gift cards to an ice cream store for ds's birthday.

Beth

swrc00
09-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Just for reference, I recently was given a $5 Starbucks gift card for a baby shower favor. I think $5 is plenty. Each child could get a nice paperbook book for close to $5. As a parent I would appreciate the card instead of candy or cheap toys. I wouldn't mind putting in the extra money to buy a more expensive book. Great idea!!!!!

Maybe the value of the card could be determined by DC's age. 5th birthday
= $5 dollars. Just a thought.

kristenk
09-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I vote for a gift card to a bookstore. I think you can actually get something there for $5 and that might be hard at the specialty toy store.

Your post brought back one memory for me. When I was about 5, I went to someone's birthday party and the favor was a helium balloon with something inside it. I have no idea what was inside, but it was the coolest party favor that I ever received! :D Seriously! Too bad you couldn't roll up a gift certificate and stick it in a balloon. I guess our parents weren't quite so worried about balloons as choking hazards back then.