PDA

View Full Version : flu mist?

DrSally
09-20-2008, 11:06 PM
My 2.5 DS has an egg allergy, so he doesn't get the flu shot. Supposedly the flu mist is ok for over 2 yo. Anyone have experience with it. Any reason not to get it? Thanks!

caheinz
09-20-2008, 11:11 PM
DS got it last year. I had trouble finding it (had to go to the county health department -- doc's office didn't stock it), but otherwise, no problems at all.

I also think the intranasal delivery was less traumatic for him than the shot would have been!

CAM7
09-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Reason not to get it? Because it's a live virus and can actually spread the flu...

JBaxter
09-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Reason not to get it? Because it's a live virus and can actually spread the flu...

Thats what i was going to say. It is contradicted with many people ( like if your child is going to be around some one with a compromised immune system or other small children)

caheinz
09-20-2008, 11:26 PM
As a note, I am immunocompromised. I fared better last year with DS getting Flu Mist than the year before, where he was unvaccinated and he (and then I) got the flu.

CAM7
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Are you sure it was the 'flu'? What were your symptoms.

Last years flu shot was ineffective since they didn't use the correct virus strain for the vax.

caheinz
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Hmmm. Just found this on the web site:

FluMist must not be given to: people with history of hypersensitivity to eggs, egg proteins, gentamicin, gelatin or arginine;

DS is fine with eggs now... he may have been by the time he got it last year.

JBaxter
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Last years flu shots and mist didnt work. It didnt cover any of the strains that occured. They put 3 strains in each immuinzation and the CDC freely admitted they "missed" last year. They are putting 4 strains in this years batch and are hoping to do better. The problem they have is they have to create them months in advance and many strains mutate or different ones show up

caheinz
09-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Are you sure it was the 'flu'? What were your symptoms.

Last years flu shot was ineffective since they didn't use the correct virus strain for the vax.

Yes. We went to the doc, got tested, and got TamiFlu. (And that was two years ago, not last year.)

caheinz
09-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Might be moot, anyways, for the OP. See my post below.

CAM7
09-20-2008, 11:41 PM
If you'd like good info on vaccines you may want to visit mothering.com .. they have a vaccine forum.

Also this website is interesting... http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/

JBaxter
09-20-2008, 11:47 PM
It is available as of aug 08

http://www.biospace.com/news_story.aspx?NewsEntityId=105661

newmomto1
09-21-2008, 12:04 AM
My 2.5 DS has an egg allergy, so he doesn't get the flu shot. Supposedly the flu mist is ok for over 2 yo. Anyone have experience with it. Any reason not to get it? Thanks!

I just talked w/ my DD's pediatrician about this yesterday.
She is allergic to eggs so she cannot get the flu shot. She DID get it last year prior to our knowledge of her allergy & did fine w/ it. But, now that they know she has the allergy, they will not give it to her. I asked about the mist & he said that it's NOT given to egg allergic kids either for the same reasons (I believe the virus is grown in an egg based medium).
HTH

ETA: Just checked out the article / link JBaxter posted above & it mentions the egg issue. I am bummed DD cannot get the shot. We all get it every year.

ETA again: Sorry, I see someone above has already mentioned this...guess I should read all the posts before I reply :oops:

supercalifragilous
09-21-2008, 12:25 PM
We skipped the flu shot/mist last year and it looks like we didn't miss out on anything. I'm not big on vaccines but the FluMist did catch my attention. From what I've read, I believe an attenuated/weakened virus elicit a better response from your immune system than a dead one.

In the October 2008 issue of Women's Health, on page 28, it says:

"By the numbers" section:
44%: The effectiveness of flu shots given in the 2007-2008 flu season, the worst in four years. Previous vaccines have been 70 to 90 percent effective. This year, the shot got an overhaul that's expected to up its success.

Source: Dan Jernigan, MD, MPH, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

bubbaray
09-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I just talked w/ my DD's pediatrician about this yesterday.
She is allergic to eggs so she cannot get the flu shot. She DID get it last year prior to our knowledge of her allergy & did fine w/ it. But, now that they know she has the allergy, they will not give it to her. I asked about the mist & he said that it's NOT given to egg allergic kids either for the same reasons (I believe the virus is grown in an egg based medium).

Yes, this is what DD#2's ped. allergist told me. The virus is grown in albumin, which is egg protein. Even though DD#2 had the flu vax last year with no problems, he is NOT authorizing it for her this year.

DrSally
09-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks, Ladies. I guess I won't even pursue it for several reasons. I didn't know it was also contradicted for those with egg allergy. DS got 2 flu shots his first year before we knew of the allergy, but can't get one now that we know (same as pp's). Also, with DD being so young, it wouldn't be good to have him get it since it's a live virus (which I knew, but hadn't thought of the young baby issue). Oh well, let's hope we don't get the flu this year.

CAM7
09-21-2008, 11:38 PM
It's always good to remember that the flu shot does NOT protect against the stomach "flu"... which symptoms mainly are vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, cramping, fever.

What the shot protects against is the upper respiratory type flu...syptoms are usually cough, congestion, aches and pain, fever.

You won't be spared the icky stomach bug that gets passed around... the shot does not protect you and your family from that.

Just an FYI coz many people don't understand that there is a difference.