PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...how did you get here???

newmomto1
09-21-2008, 12:50 AM
To this message board I mean...

I knew nothing of message boards or the massive online "mommy" community, or all the great online bargains, etc prior to coming to this board in 2004.

When I was pregnant w/ DS I remember several nightmarish trips w/ DH to BRU. We were SO CLUELESS :confused: as to what we were doing, what to buy, what different items were for, etc.

On one of our frustrating visits another couple (who apparently saw our pain) came up to us in the stroller department as we struggled with THAT whole decision :crying::hopmad: (omg...seems like an ETERNITY ago!).
They shared w/ us the book they were using to guide them through the store..."Baby Bargains" :bowdown:.

We IMMEDIATELY went to purchase a copy.

After DS was born & I was glued to the house (with lots of questions) I looked for BB online & this place was what I found...

Back then, this board really was a place that fed my stroller / diaper bag obsession (my never ending journey for the "perfect" thing). Funny, that obsession did not continue when DC #2 was born.

From there, I came to realize what an AWESOME resource this place was for EVERYTHING! :grouphug:

It seems like almost any issue I am having I can do a search or post here & find the answers I need or be directed to a place that will help.

I guess I was just thinking about how I ended up here which made me wonder about all of you :)

MamaMolly
09-21-2008, 01:10 AM
I was living overseas and heading back to the U.S. at 7 months. I found an old copy of the BBB in an English speaking lending library and discovered the site. I'd also never used a message board before!

I was trying to plan out everything we were going to buy as soon as we got 'home' but between sticker shock, a stingy (read that as in denial) DH, and a DD who came a month early we just ended up buying what we could get. (no showers)

But I will say that I learned what to look for in things like cribs even if I couldn't afford the best brands I was able to find quality features on thing I *could* afford.

And some of my very favorite items I bought used I learned about here, such as the Gymini play mat, the Tiny Love mobile, sleepsacs, Discovery Toys Measure Up cups, Hanna clothes and more and more.

kijip
09-21-2008, 01:19 AM
A royally bad customer service experience/saga with Maclaren over a Mac3 stroller led me to google around looking for feedback and tips on dealing with Maclaren customer service. My first post was in strollers looking for insight on Maclaren. I had never seen a message board prior.

And ironically it was also this board that led me back to a different Maclaren stroller later on when T was older. :)

ellies mom
09-21-2008, 01:24 AM
I bought the book while pregnant with DD1 but didn't use the boards until I was trying to find out about the darling little Robeez I saw on another baby. And the rest is history.

spencersmommy
09-21-2008, 01:30 AM
A friend loaned me a copy of the book when I was first pregnant, and I ended up buying my own copy! I found the board through the book and it was a lifesaver with my DS #1! Sometimes I would even post questions here before calling the ped! i'm not here as often (3 kids now, don't need much gear anymore...), but love the lounge and the bargain news and the cooking! Recommend this board to all my friends! :-)

caleymama
09-21-2008, 07:40 AM
I searched online for Zooper Strollers back in early 2002 (February, I think) when I was pregnant with DD1. The stroller forum was one of the links that popped up. I read all the time as a "lurker" for a while before actually joining. I've been here almost daily since. I just love the parents here and have learned so much over the years. :love-retry:

LarsMal
09-21-2008, 10:29 AM
The book was our bible while registering for DS. I got it as a gift when I was first pregnant, and now it's my "Congratulations, you're expecting" gift for all my first-time mama friends! DH and I would laugh as we walked around BuyBuyBaby, looking at all the other moms and dads checking out their BB book while standing in front of strollers or carseats, etc.

I didn't know about the boards until I was pg with DD. I was doing a search on a double stroller, trying to get some feedback on it. My first post was also in the stroller forum. I think the second or third reply I got was a "Welcome and beware of the BBB addiction"- I laughed it off- ha!!!

Here I am, just about 2 years later!

mamaoftwins
09-21-2008, 10:39 AM
My best friend bought me the book when I got preg! Thank goodness she did, b/c I got stuck on bedrest at 24wks. We had made one very overwhelming trip to BRUs the week before I went into the hospital to get the registry started, and were there for about 10 minutes. I started to "not feel well", so we went home. I couldn't explain to DH what was wrong, just that I felt "bad". That should have been my first clue re: pre-term labor, but who knows that at the time! Anyway, I had to do all of our baby item research/shopping online, so the book was a lifesaver.

Just as pp have said, the book has become a gift for everyone I know that gets preg! My bro and sis-in-law have just started trying and I can't wait to buy it for them!!

Anyway, I came to this site a few months after the boys were born b/c I felt very overwhelmed, exhausted, and had baby questions that needed answering!

A big thank you to you all on this board for helping me out with my boys!! :bowdown:

C99
09-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I found Bridal Bargains invaluable to me when I was planning my 1999 wedding. So when I got pregnant, the first thing I did was to buy Baby Bargains. I used to read the Bridal Bargains mailbag, so it wasn't hard to navigate over to the Baby Bargains side of things. I initially joined in fall 2002, but there was a server crash in early 2003 and I couldn't get back on, so I created a new user ID.

anamika
09-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Friend loaned me her copy (which was two years old). Loved it so much that we bought our own. And then found these boards - my very first online community ;)
Loaned my copy to my friend who has also bought a copy for herself - and so it grows....

deenass
09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
We were "invited" to a Baby Tenda "safety seminar". After attending it I googled "Baby Tenda" (probably should have done that BEFORE we went!) and I found a review on the message board here.

I don't think I joined at first (and I still read more than I post!) but ahve found this board to be INVALUABLE for oh so many things!

WatchingThemGrow
09-21-2008, 02:51 PM
A friend loaned me Bridal Bargains, and I was hooked. Shortly after the wedding, I handed that book back to her and went to buy Baby Bargains in the same month. It all happened quickly for us. Then 411, Toddler Bargains, and Toddler 411.

When I first got on the website, I only saw the parent reviews (sadly skimpy), and I didn't see all you over here having fun. That discovery came later during countless hours of pumping and nursing hardship. After lurking a year, I came out of the woodwork. Ok, better go post a question. We need help.

I'm SO glad you're all here. What a fun place!

MontrealMum
09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
A friend gave me the book when she found out I was pregnant. She had also been given it and had found it invaluable. A guess it's a case of play it forward! I now give it to my pregnant friends as well.

It was my bible when shopping and doing research before DS was born - and was just the right size to fit in my purse! I only wish I had typed in the web address before he arrived, and not after! It would have saved me a lot of stress and tears those first few months. This is my first message board too, and I've found the people here to be great. I am now completely addicted! :boogie:

Puddy73
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I bought the book when I was pregnant with DD in 2003 and loved it, but I came across the boards by accident when I was looking for stroller reviews online. Been here ever since and love it!

MelissaTC
09-21-2008, 04:27 PM
I was looking for feedback and reviews on Peg Perego strollers. I landed here in the fall of 2001 and registered as a member sometime winter 2002. I have been here since.

StantonHyde
09-21-2008, 04:37 PM
A friend loaned me her used copy of Bridal Bargains when I got engaged. The title made me think it was a "wedding on a dime" book but then I was so thrilled to find out the truth. I got on the website to buy the Gowns bargain book and found that website. It was my bible getting married.

When I got pg, I saw BB at the bookstore and nabbed it. I was addicted. I am really big on "value"--e.g. if I spend $500 on a crib, it better be worth $500. So I used the book to register for everything. I forgot when I started on this board and I think it says April 2002--so I must have started looking for reviews and opinions then.

This board has been INVALUABLE to me through 2 children. I have bought all my car seats via the reviews on this board, clothing, bargains, toys etc etc. I have received awesome feeding, behavior, family, and DH :ROTFLMAO: advice here. And now, I swear I think of a question about just about anything and I post it here and I get an answer or a referral.

This board makes me think about politics, families, a greener lifestyle, etc etc. I don't agree with everything but I do appreciate knowing how other people think about issues. And the laughs I get here--OMG. I don't have lots of mommy friends so I appreciate the opportunity to get mommy opinions, vent, etc. Since my mom died, I value this even more.

Now that DS is in kindergarten, I am starting to branch out to some other boards. But I still have a couple of years until DD is 5 or 6. The parenting issues and applicable advice when you have a 7 year old is very different than that for 3 yos. And as much as I like to think I know what I will do then, I am sure I will be just as clueless as I am now and I will be looking to moms of 7-9 year olds to show me the way.

I LOVE this board!!!

wencit
09-21-2008, 04:54 PM
A friend lent me her Bridal Bargains book, which I found invaluable when planning my wedding, so it was a natural succession to move on to Baby Bargains. I started reading that book before we even started TTC.

Interestingly, I didn't discover the forums until much later. I was on a completely different tech-related forum, when one of the guys said that his wife spent a lot of time on the Baby Bargains forums. (To this day, I always wonder who that addicted wife was, LOL!) I headed over here and have been addicted myself since then.

Happy 2B mommy
09-21-2008, 04:54 PM
The Baby Bargains Book was recommended to us by 2 different couples (I had the Bridal bargains book, but forgot/wasn't aware of Baby Bargains) I used the book a lot, but didn't look at the boards until after DD was born and I was researching convertable car seats. I was blown away by the wonderful, intelligent, knowledgable and supportive mommies (and dads) who are part of this community. I'm not part of any other online group, but I do check out various forums. I don't post a lot, but I read almost daily.

Ironically, the couples who recommend the BB Book look at me like I'm crazy for the things I've learned here, esp when it comes to carseat safety.

alexsmommy
09-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I had found Bridal Bargains invaluable in saving me money on invitations and having them addressed. When I found out I was pregnant I grabbed Baby Bargains. I had never been on a message board, but I HATED the stroller I had purchased on a whim b/c it was on sale at BRU before getting the book. So I hopped on here to get some ideas and found this whole community.

CAM7
09-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I found Bridal Bargains invaluable to me when I was planning my 1999 wedding. So when I got pregnant, the first thing I did was to buy Baby Bargains.

Same here! :-)

MamaKath
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I had bought a copy of the book in 1999, right before a new version of it was released, lol. In 2002 I ended up on the stroller board here from another stroller board as I was looking for the "perfect double". I am still here, getting lots of info from other moms, still praying someday dh will change his mind and there will be 1 more.

kep
09-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I bought a copy of the book back in 2003 after I had my first. I became a lurker after discovering the boards 6-9 months later. I was on and off the boards for months, before finally becoming a regular poster in 2005. I think I had and lost at least one username during those first couple years. :ROTFLMAO:

I love the boards, and am on daily now. I am also glad to see that we finally seem to be "recovering" after the big switch to the new server. This is a great group of mama's.

WatchingThemGrow
09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
A friend gave me the book when she found out I was pregnant. She had also been given it and had found it invaluable. A guess it's a case of play it forward! I now give it to my pregnant friends as well.

It was my bible when shopping and doing research before DS was born - and was just the right size to fit in my purse! I only wish I had typed in the web address before he arrived, and not after! It would have saved me a lot of stress and tears those first few months. This is my first message board too, and I've found the people here to be great. I am now completely addicted! :boogie:

Molly, THAT was your 1000th! Congrats!!!

Ok, back on topic now :)

overcome
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
A colleague loaned me her BB book. I liked it so much I bought my own.

I came here after reading about it in the book. I was a computer junkie and did frequent some message boards before coming here, so I knew from the beginning it would become a regular place for me to visit. :-)

MontrealMum
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks! I guess that means that I write nearly as much as I talk :)

maestramommy
09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
My sis told me about the book, and the message board. But I didn't know anything of online message boards/forums, so I only had a vague notion of what she was talking about. Then a friend loaned me an older copy of the book, then we went out and got the updated version. Then I checked out the forums. I think my original quest was to find out more about cloth diapering, so I spent most of my time on the Butts, as it was then called. But I did eventually make my way over to the Lounge. That was all in the spring of 05.

elliput
09-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I stumbled across the boards in a drunken stupor.:54:

Okay- the real story- standard MO. Was given an older copy by a friend early in my pregnancy and then purchased the current copy. I noticed the info regarding the boards and lurked for a few months before posting, and gathered much information to help me decide on some purchases. I didn't post much until after DD was born and even then avoided the Lounge for a couple months. See where it got me? :blahblah:

jgenie
09-21-2008, 09:33 PM
I bought baby bargains when we were getting ready for our LO. We consulted it for everything we bought. When I was ready to purchase a jogging stroller - I came here to get info and found the message boards in the process. I love it here - I'm new here, but I have yet to see a hurtful post by anyone. Thanks for making this such a welcoming place!

Jeanne
09-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I used Bridal Bargains back in 1993/1994 and was given a copy of Baby Bargains before the board existed. I used to be on the email newsletter list. I was a member of another board "The Labor of Love" but it was taken down so I finally started posting here after being coaxed out of lurkerdom. I read the boards every day since inception but didn't bother to register or post until a plea came out from another Charter Member.

squimp
09-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Cloth Diapers. I was searching around for cloth dipe info and found this board in 2003. There was a great group of CDing mamas there then. Lucky for me I still keep in touch with some of them although many of us are long out of cloth diapers and most things baby.

KBecks
09-22-2008, 07:36 AM
from Baby Bargains the book

SnuggleBuggles
09-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Another who found the "Baby Bargains" book because of success with "Bridal Bargains." I registered for this website back when ds1 was a baby but I only briefly checked the boards for a specific question that day. A few years later I think I linked to something here via google and was hooked.

You know, when I go to BRU and see clueless looking parents I try to recommend the book and/ or website and I swear I get met with hostility 99% of the time. I tell them that they can even get it at the library so they know I am not trying to hit them up for $. It irks me because I am just trying to be helpful. Instead I get the "mind your own business" glare. Ok, fine, enjoy your craptastic Evenflo travel system! ;)

Beth

randomkid
09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I read the book from cover to cover on the recommendation of a friend, but somehow never came across the info about this board - or ignored it since I had never even looked at a message board before. We were having several problems with BFing when my friend who gave me the book told me to come here. I was still skeptical and didn't do it. When I started DD on Nutramigen and was concerned about the loose poop (and couldn't get answers anywhere else), I finally came to the boards. My first post was titled "Nutramigen and Pooping" :hysterical: I didn't even introduce myself first!

Sure wish I had listened to my friend and came here before I gave up nursing. I'm sure I would have kept trying if I had the support of this great community. I just didn't have that at home where everyone was encouraging me to quit for my own health. Years later, knowing what I know now from reading here, I'm pretty sure I could have made it work. However, I am glad I am here now. I have learned so much and have been able to help other new Moms because of this board.

mdb78
09-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I read in Baby Bargains book to visit the website and the rest is history.

octmom
09-22-2008, 09:12 AM
I found Bridal Bargains invaluable to me when I was planning my 1999 wedding. So when I got pregnant, the first thing I did was to buy Baby Bargains.

Same here! (Even the same wedding year.) But I didn't find the boards until a few months after DS was born. I posted on my birth club board on babycenter when I was pregnant with DS, but I didn't feel like I clicked with as many people there as here.

nov04
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I accidentally found BB book when looking for pregnancy books. I was so happy to find something unbiased. This board has always been important to me and I let my own customers know about it frequently. I'm sure I've also helped sell several copies of the book too.

cheaperthanmost
09-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Yep I found this site when I looking for stroller information. I google everything so some of the threads came up in my google search. I am glad I did as I have found alot of good information from this site. Still havent bought that stroller yet though. I have resigned myself to use my older sons old one. Its pretty beat up but still gets me from point a to point b.

hillview
09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
I *think* I must have run across the book on a bookshelf at a bookstore. I for the life of me cannot remember. I feel like if someone had given it to me I'd have remembered. Once I had the book it took me a few MONTHS to sort out the website which was a shame. I would love to have found this before I had my baby but found it a few months after.

LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!
/hillary

cleo27
09-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Me too - same year and everything! I stumbled onto the Baby boards when I was pregnant, searching on Google for Zooper stroller reviews! :)

ilfaith
09-22-2008, 09:43 PM
We bought the Baby Bargains book when we were expecting DS1 (back in 2004), and i first came to these boards in 2006 looking for information on double strollers.

But it was only after a year of so of posting on the more question-specific threads (strollers, car seats, travel, clothes) that I wandered into the BB Lounge.

So here I am.

2zeke
09-23-2008, 12:24 AM
We bought the BB book back when I was pregnant with either my 6 or 8 year old, but I don't remember it mentioning anything about the website.

I found the Reality Layette board here (now "Kids Wear) in Jan. '05 when I was googling for a Hanna discount code (back when they were regularly sending out those 20% off ones).

hellokitty
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I got married back in 1999 and hung out on the bridal bargains board. I knew as soon as I was ttc that I'd hang out at the baby bargains site too. So, I've actually been here for quite a while, but changed my username a couple of times.

mommyp
09-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I was given the book when I was about 6 months pregnant by a friend who received two copies. It was my bible when sorting through all the *stuff* you are supposed to need! We had no clue what we were doing. I didn't come to the website until after DD was born and at first I only saw the parent reviews and recall info. I didn't realize about the message board until DD was about 5 months, then a month later I joined. It is my first message board, so I'm a little hesitant sometimes, but I have gotten a lot of great information from you guys, sometimes on things that I wouldn't have even known to ask.
I'm happy you are all here!

denna
09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
My MIL bought the Baby Bargains Book at a recommendation from one of her patients. I actually noticed something in the book that was no longer accurate (USAA members receiving check for carseats) and emailed Alan & Denise to let them know about this change. When I came to their site to send them the email I happened upon this board. For the first year or so it was so helpful, then things changed in the online community and things became busier and busier for me in my 'real life' so although Ive been here for over 2 years, some of you may see me as a 'newbie'. Oh has this board changed!

Can I just add how much I miss the old board layout? And how wonderful the new mods are!