PDA

View Full Version : Help - 4 y.o.'s throat hurts

anamika
09-21-2008, 08:38 AM
My 4 y o has been complaining that she can't swallow because her throat hurts.
She had really mild fever for the last 2 days and a cold for 2 weeks before that. The temperature in NE has also really plummeted over the last 2 days. The throat thing is a new symptom from this morning. So what can I do to help? Does she need to see the doctor?
Thanks,

egoldber
09-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Well, I would call the ped and see what they say. My glands have been very swollen lately, but I think it's from allergies.

anamika
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Beth,
The ped's office told us to give her Motrin and lot of fluids.
DD won't drink anything warmer than room temperature so my standard approach of drinking warm fluids doesn't work.

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Do you have an urgent care place around? After having a wicked case of strep throat myself recently I wouldn't want to wait any longer than necessary to get a diagnosis and possibly treatment than I had to. I would not be inclined to wait till Monday for something like this if you have a urgi-care type place near by. They can handle this sort of thing. Follow up with your real Dr. tomorrow but have it looked at today. If it is strep then the sooner she starts meds the sooner she will be feeling better. :)

Motrin and some of those Sucrets might help.

Beth

bnme
09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Both my DS's recently had a 'cold' that was a several day mild fever with sore throat. This is not the usual course their illnesses take so I kept taking them to the ped waiting for the ear infection or something to strike. They tested for strep but it wasn't and we just used tylenol/motrin as needed. I think it lasted around 4 days.

Hope your DC is feeling better soon!

caleymama
09-21-2008, 02:28 PM
My DDs like Ricola Honey Herb cough drops (http://www.ricolausa.com/products/cough/8) when they have a cough or sore throat. They have a low amount of Menthol (2mg) and I'm ok with the other ingredients. They have a very mild flavor.

My older DD (6) just had a cold starting last Saturday and then developed a fever and sore throat Friday morning. That only lasted 24 or so and now we're back to just a mild cold. Younger DD (3) came down with a fever and sore throat Thursday night, but again, the fever was gone in less than 36 hours and she seems back to normal. Based on how their throats looked I took them in on Friday for strep tests. Both the Ped and I were surprised that they came back negative. I was really surprised that by yesterday they were doing so much better. I really thought they were going to be quite sick based on how unwell they felt at first.

I hope your DD feels better ASAP.

anamika
09-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Sounds like there is a lot of this going around :(
I will try the Ricola. The nurse didn't seem to think it was strep - DD was so miserable last time with the strep and she had a rash too. Nothing this time.
Thanks again - you always know how to ease a worried mama's mind.

willow33
09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Hand, foot and mouth (coxsackie) is going around both my son's pre-k and K classes right now. A lot of the kids start with a fever and then get sores on their throat/tongue. It is a virus that goes away in a couple of days, but still unpleasant for the child. Just thought I would mention it to you...

lorinick
09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
sounds like strep. Nothing to mess around with. It will cause fever and can cause vometing. Will need anti. We've been through this a couple of times.