PDA

View Full Version : Daiper changes to newborns?

ckso
09-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I was told babies skin are really sensitive at newborn and not to use baby wipes for diaper change. My friend suggest just plain water and a soft paper towel or washcloth for the 1st month.

My question is: is that applicable for poops and those nasty blow-outs? Is plain water enough? I heard newborn poops are pretty funky and sticky.

Just wondering what other people are doing?

lorinick
09-22-2008, 03:53 PM
I was told babies skin are really sensitive at newborn and not to use baby wipes for diaper change. My friend suggest just plain water and a soft paper towel or washcloth for the 1st month.

My question is: is that applicable for poops and those nasty blow-outs? Is plain water enough? I heard newborn poops are pretty funky and sticky.

Just wondering what other people are doing?

Both of my kids I've used the Pamper Sensitive wipes. I wouldn't even think about the water and cloth route. Of course if I had a problem using the wipes. You should be very fine the sensitive wipes. There is no perfume and there hypo allegenic.

srhs
09-22-2008, 03:57 PM
We bought an insulated thermos with pump top. (Thermos brand was $$, but I got a cheap-o at Walgreens that worked fine.) I filled it with warm water and used those thin baby washcloths. It worked fine on poopy diapers. I threw the washcloths in a plastic trashcan as a hamper and washed often.
One of the hospitals in our area does not use/provide wipes for newborns at all, so you have to pack your own if you want to use wipes.
My hospital DID use wipes, though, so we used those on the meconium diapers the first few days.
It's all a matter of personal preference. My LO had diaper rash early on, so we switched to the washcloth method. In hindsight, the rash was likely not caused by wipes but rather the riddance of some jaundice.

JBaxter
09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I have always just just plain water and when I was making posie whipes I found if you take a roll of Viva brand paper towels. Cut the roll in half with a bread knife ( works the best) once you have 2 short rolls of paper towels take the center cardboard out and just wet them with some warm water OR keep them in a tall rubbermaide container with some water on them.

My ped has always said not to use regular wipes the first month due to newborn sensitivity.

Meconium will wipe off really easily if you coat their bottoms with some vasoline or aquaphor after each change. I only needed to do that the first couple days. ( lanoline works also)

HIU8
09-22-2008, 04:33 PM
DD was super sensitive as a newborn-to the point of cracking and bleeding. We could not even use the sensitive wipes. We used cotton balls and luke warm water. And yes, it does get messy, but we used them for pee and poop until her skin could handle a wipe.

carolinamama
09-22-2008, 09:59 PM
DS had very sensitive skin as a newborn and had terrible diaper rash. Only thing that worked was plain water - sensitive wipes were just not sensitive enough. I used baby washclothes and used warm water just from the tap. I actually used cold water and then nuked the cloth for a few seconds to make it warm. Just make sure it doesn't get too hot. It always got all the mess off and I think that the texture of the terry cloth actually cleans better than wipes. Of course we switched to wipes after the first few months when ds could handle it for convenience but cloths were not a problem with cleanliness.

trales
09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I use thin washclothes soaked in a solution of lavender oil ( a few drops per sinkful of water), california baby body wash ( just a tiny squirt) and water, I ring them out and put them in a contianer for use. We have been using these since we brought her home, she is now 18mo. We only had diaper rash once and that was b/c I switched detergents. I love the wash clothes, you can really grab stuff and very rarely stick your hand in poop.

Puddy73
09-23-2008, 10:15 AM
We fill up a wipes warmer with water and a tiny squirt of California Baby wash and use with cloth wipes or wash cloths. Cloth wipes seem to work much better on poopy messes than sposie wipes. We also use CDs, so we just toss the dirty wipes into the pail with the diapers.

ahrimie
09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
actually, i think it depends on each baby. some babies are susceptible to diaper rash and other babies have really resilient skin.

you never know which you have so i'd err on the safe side. we used wipes and then a cloth warm water for poopies :)