PDA

View Full Version : Great Wolf Lodge tips?

bnme
09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
We are thinking of taking our 4 & 5yos to Great Wolf in the Poconos this fall/winter. Any tips? Are the bunk bed rooms worth it?

I know you can use the waterpark the day of check-out -how are the locker facilities? Do you have to fully change to eat or is there a food court type set up? We are thinking of driving up Friday after school and staying just one night. SO we would only actually use the waterpark Saturday. Does that seem like a waste? I wold love to hear how others spend their time at Great Wolf.

TIA for any advice!

KrystalS
09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
I went to the lodge in Grapevine TX, but I'm sure all of them are the same. I went with my mom, 10 yo sisters, and my 4yo DD. First off, they absolutely loved it. We got a room with the bunkbeds and DD thought they were really cool. But honestly if you are just going for one night you aren't going to be in your room much. The lodge I went to didn't have locker facilities so not sure about those. They had 2 food courts, one outside and one inside, no dress code. There was a restaurant inside the lodge as well, no swimsuits there.
The waterpark stayed open until 10, maybe 11 on weekends I can't remember, so you might have some time Friday night when you get there.
Honestly though the kids had the best time playing the Magiquest game that is set up through out the lodge. If you will only be there for a day you need avoid this like the plague! We were there for 2 full days and a few hrs the day we checked out. The kids played this game every minute that we weren't at the waterpark. It's basically like an interactive videogame. They have stuff set up all over the lodge.

KrystalS
09-22-2008, 09:02 PM
double post

overcome
09-22-2008, 09:33 PM
I can't answer your questions about Great Wolf specifically, but I live 5 min from the GW in the Poconos, so if you have any questions about the area in general, let me know!

bnme
09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Krystal - thanks for the info. I am nervous about that Magiquest because it seems right up my older DS's alley! But the LOVE water rides so I think we can avoid it (?).

Ashley - Is there a must-do that you would recommend near-by? I am thinking we will arrive late Friday, spend the night at GWL and do the water park all day Saturday. Then maybe check into another hotel and do something else Sunday. Any ideas for preschool/Kindy friendly stuff?

TIA

g-mama
09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Donna - We just went to the GWL in Williamsburg in August. I thought we'd stay at the hotel Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, then go to Busch Gardens on Sunday. Wrong! We ALL had such a blast at GWL that there was no way we wanted to leave on Sunday. It was just so much fun for all of us and we can't wait to go back. It is truly one of the best vacations (only 3 days) we've had as a family and we've done Disney a few times, too!

I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on bunk beds. We did the most basic room w/ 2 queen beds (put the 2yo in a pack n play) and it was totally fine. We weren't in the room much anyway and b/c it is pricey, I'd save your money.

kristenk
09-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I haven't been to that GWL, but I've been to the same one as Krystal. DH, DD and I went for one night back in May. We were there before schools let out for the summer and stayed there midweek. We registered for the basic room, but we were upgraded at check-in (most likely b/c of slow season/midweek) to a wolf den room or something like that. The separate area for kids was decorated as a wolf den. DD LOVED it. I think 2 kids would have even more fun! I don't know what the price difference is, though, and we didn't pay for the upgrade, but it was very nice to have.

The food was pretty pricey. We didn't try the food court, but we picked up a pizza from the Pizza Hut on the same level as the waterpark and it seemed more expensive than usual. We also tried the restaurant once. It was good, but, once again, a little pricey.

If you're planning to spend Saturday night in the area, why not switch nights that you'll be at GWL? That way you could stay some place cheaper on Friday night and get to the GWL as early as they allow on Saturday. You'd have most of Saturday and then however much time on Sunday. It might be nice to break up the park visit a little bit. The waterpark is a lot of fun, but it is a bit overwhelming!

ETA: I just checked and it looks like you can start using the waterpark at 1pm on your check-in day.

overcome
09-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Donna
Not a lot of stuff to do around here! If the weather is nice on Sunday, there is a fabulous public park just minutes away from Great Wolf. It is called Mt. View Park. Take a right out of GW entrance, onto 611S. You will immediately go through one traffic light. In a minute or two, you will come to another traffic light (bank and bp gas station/quick shop at the corners). Take a right onto 715S. At the next light take a right. You will go by Crossings Premium outlets (which has lots of shopping! Childrens Place, Stride Rite, Carters, Gymbo, Ralph Lauren Kids plus lots of stores for mom too!). Continue on this road. When you see Barley Creek Brewing, stay to the right and the park is right there. Go in the entrance and up the hill. They have a beautiful playground.

Honestly, there is not much to do. If I think of anything...I'll post later.

Have fun!
Ashley

Sugar Magnolia
10-02-2008, 08:14 AM
We went to the GWL in Kansas City this summer. It was so much fun! We plan on going back next summer, so here is what I would do differently next time.

Buy bagels or something similar to keep in the room for breakfast. The breakfast at the hotel was not that great and pretty expensive. There is a refrigerator in the room, microwave, and decent size bar area.

The suites are not worth the extra money! My kids wound up sleeping on the pull out couch because we were all watching a movie together.

There were nice changing facilities but we opted to change the kids in car on check out day. I really do not like pool restrooms (almost a phobia-the wet floor freaks me out!) and we have a van, so it was just easier that way.

We spent almost the entire time at the hotel. We left for dinner and that was it. I think dh and I had more fun then the kids.

Have fun!