PDA

View Full Version : Child locator device

abejita
09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Hello:

I am looking for a child locator device to ensure safety in crowds for my little one. I have seen Giggle Bug, the Mommy I’m Here bear and a few others with mixed reviews. Does anyone recommend a product?

Thanks,
Deborah

hbridge
09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
We have the "Mommy, I'm here Bear" and it's okay. I have looked into the BrickHouse Child Locator, but for our situation, the cost is too high. The Bear works well, DC loves wearing it, and it's a low cost solution. However, I also carry fresh batteries and a small screwdriver with me everywhere I go since the batteries die with no warning. The child unit beeps when the batteries die, but when the parent unit dies the system just stops working.

I would absolutely recommend the "Mommy I'm Here" system for smaller families with only one or two children and for "older toddlers" and children who understand what it means when the "bear beeps". DC know to "stop wherever you are and wait for Mommy to find you" when the bear goes off.

Of course, the one time DC wandered away we weren't using it. There were so many adults with us I thought we were covered except that not everyone was paying as close attention as was needed under the circumstances... Never again, now whenever we're in a crowd DC has the hand of an adult AND the bear attached!

I'd say if your budget is small and your child doesn't tend to run away on a regular basis your okay with the less expensive option. If DC was not verbal or wouldn't hold a hand or stay in the stroller, I would be purchasing the Brickhouse in a heartbeat...

Hope this helps.