PDA

View Full Version : I wish I hadn't read that

lisams
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Do you ever read something, especially in the news pertaining to babies or children, and just wish you had never read it because it stays on your mind all day long and makes you near literally sick? It ruins my day and makes me lose faith in human kind. I so wish I had not read it. Holding my kids a little closer today.

momof2girls
09-23-2008, 08:48 PM
I had a similar reaction to an Oprah episode last week about pedophiles. I couldn't even get myself to watch the entire thing. Made me sick!

mamaoftwins
09-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes, mostly since I've had kids. DH is a pedi and it's so difficult now to hear some of the horrible things that his poor patients go through. It makes my heart just break.

maestramommy
09-24-2008, 07:46 AM
I had a similar reaction to an Oprah episode last week about pedophiles. I couldn't even get myself to watch the entire thing. Made me sick!

This is why I refused to watch any of the links posted on the forums. It was bad enough to know it exists. I didn't want to watch it as well.

KHF
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I have to be very careful which headlines I click on when reading the local paper. I clicked on one last week and couldn't get the particulars out of my head for days. I just cannot read about the atrocities that people are capable of committing against children. It is completely outside the realm of my comprehension. I do the worst with things that happen to children that are DD's age because I can't stop my mind from going there.

I did see part of the Oprah episode from last week, but eventually had to stop watching that too. I did, however, call both of my senators to voice support for the bill. (Though, I suspect it's going to get pushed off in order to deal with the current financial crisis.)

Kirsten

awoodm
09-24-2008, 09:39 PM

:yeahthat: I turned it off after 15 minutes. I couldn't take it. My fiance works at a downtown hospital and he has learned not to bring up the things he sees. Esp. in pediatrics. I am also guilty of crying sometimes just from watching the sick stuff in the news. People can be so evil.

DrSally
09-24-2008, 10:02 PM
REading something, or watching a tv show, or seeing a picture in the paper (like the ones of the Chineese babies in ICU).

Corie
09-27-2008, 09:30 PM
I read something years and years ago about the serial killer, Ted Bundy.

And it has seriously stayed in my brain for over 10 yrs. and it
won't leave. It makes me want to vomit whenever it pops
into my head.

swrc00
09-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Ditto on the Oprah episode. I watched for 5 minutes tops and one of the images hasn't left my mind. I am glad I am not the only one who has things stick in their brains like this.

bubbaray
09-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I used to deal with sexual offence files and now, almost 10 years later, there are still some that I remember vividly. I wasn't well suited to the job (emotionally) and I still struggle with it when the memories come back. I too struggled with the Oprah show (even though I was the OP of the link in the Lounge).

Sometimes I really wish I could format my own harddrive. It would make life so much easier to just be able to forget about the crappy stuff.