PDA

View Full Version : Non Nursing Camisoles

StantonHyde
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I realize it is the wrong season (sort of) but I have some fall tops that I want to layer. So I am trying to find sphagetti strap camis that are sort of fitted for layering under shirts. I wear a 38 B. I have the sweetheart tanks from Travel Smith and the built in bra looks like a tank on me. I am ok with just a shelf bra, but I do like the idea of a underwire for support etc. I would like to get some in black, white, and light blue. I have checked Garnet Hill, Travel Smith, Coldwater Creek and they either out of stock or not the right style. Other ideas?

mamaoftwins
09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Random, but try Victoria's Secret online. I got some built-in underwire and shelf bra camis from there probably abt 3ish years ago, and they're still in perfect shape!

carolinamama
09-24-2008, 05:23 AM
I tend to just wear a bra under my camis. If I want a plain cotton one without any frills, I find Old Navy is good and affordable.

kep
09-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I have had good luck with the Gap and Old Navy. The Gap one was $15 on sale, and the ON one was $10 full price. Obviously, the Gap one has held up much better. I think that at least at the Gap, they are considered a year round staple.

ilfaith
09-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I have bra camis from (most to least expensive) J. Jill, Gap, Express, and Old Navy. I also have some really cheap ones I picked up at Costco. I would say that you petty much get what you pay for. The J. Jill are probably the most substantial and are nicely finished...but I find them to run a little short (if you're looking to wear them with lower rise pants). The Costco ones are really more for sleeping than wearing out. The straps are very stretchy and the "bra" doesn't offer much support. I've been happy with all the others.

I know J. Jill makes underwire camis (although the ones I have are shelf bra).

StantonHyde
09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
So last night I ordered some shelf bra tanks from J Jill. I think they are snug enough for layering, have wider straps for comfort, come in lots of colors, and have a nicely finished edge so I can wear them to work under blouses, sweaters. etc.

One more question--does a white tank basically go with anything I am going to wear over it? I got one in white, one in ivory, and one in black. Then if I need more, I can order them, but I think I should be ok with those.

boolady
09-25-2008, 03:26 PM
So last night I ordered some shelf bra tanks from J Jill. I think they are snug enough for layering, have wider straps for comfort, come in lots of colors, and have a nicely finished edge so I can wear them to work under blouses, sweaters. etc.

One more question--does a white tank basically go with anything I am going to wear over it? I got one in white, one in ivory, and one in black. Then if I need more, I can order them, but I think I should be ok with those.

I think you'll be really happy with these. I have 2 of them, and the weight and edge, as you note, make them more finished than some.

Staraglimmer
09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I can't stand shelf bras in tank tops! I found that target has some very nice ones that are just tank tops. I bought a bunch last winter in their maternity section......They were made4 to match dresses and such (thus great for layering). Good luck!

Swimfreak78
09-25-2008, 06:21 PM
I had a few from Motherhood - they were great during pregnancy and still fit.

StantonHyde
10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
I got my tank tops from J Jill and wore the white one the other day. The tank is nice. Nice edge on it. I saw a coworkers Old Navy and it was more cotton than sort of a smooth finish stretch so I am glad I got these. I like the wider straps. I probably could have got a Large, but I went for the medium based on bra size.

I should star in a PSA on why shelf bras do not work for small breasted women after they breast feed 2 babies!!! I used to be a 36 barely B. After DS, I went to a 38 and a B. After DD, I am still a 38 but I am just a hint too big for an A. yippee. The shelf bras flattened me. So the crossover blouse I was wearing over the tank is now completely unfilled and I look like Olive OIl on top. arrrgh.

I am going to take back the other 2 tanks and just get either plain tanks or the tanks with the underwire bras. At this point, I just need white, off white and black. I just need to look like there is something there vs. the smashed look I get (and want) from a sports bras.

I feel like I have come full circle. In college, when I was 25 pounds smaller, the only time I wore a bra was to play sports. (and it was just 2 pieces of cloth hung on elastic). Then I finally got to the barely B territory. Now everything else is chubby (a future bitching post) but NOT my post bf boobs!!!!!

I'll let you know how the plain tanks or underwire camis work.