PDA

View Full Version : How am I supposed to feed my family...

LarsMal
09-25-2008, 06:00 PM
when the sight of food makes me sick to my stomach!?

I'm having major issues with raw chicken right now. I've had to put two packs of chicken breast in the freezer b/c I just can't do it. I can eat it, I just can't handle it! I seem to be okay with ground turkey and turkey sausage, but I can't make that every night of the week. This is when I really wish DS didn't have food allergies. I could really go for some comfort food- like baked ziti- but that's not happening!

So, it's leftovers for the kids tonight, which is fine, but DH and I will have to either scrounge around the kitchen (he said he'll just eat cereal) or pick something up- yet again. I feel like such a failure!

Ugh...2nd trimester just GET here!

Laurel
09-25-2008, 06:04 PM
:hug:

DH is going to have to step up on food prep. I totally went through this- poor DD didn't get breakfast without me retching, it scared her to death! I had DH pre-prepare foods and then I would grab them out of the fridge and practically throw them at poor DD.

JMS
09-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I just passed that point and celebrated by making chicken noodle soup from scratch today. Ironically I couldn't eat meat and couldn't handle raw chicken but could eat chicken and not meat. It was always the prep stuff that I had the hardest time with. One day last week I just woke up and all those first semester symptoms were gone. So it's been a lot more variety and a lot less take out. Now the problem is that I want to eat everything in sight and haven't worked out once in months.. but that's a bitch in and of itself :)

LarsMal
09-25-2008, 06:13 PM
I just passed that point and celebrated by making chicken noodle soup from scratch today. Ironically I couldn't eat meat and couldn't handle raw chicken but could eat chicken and not meat. It was always the prep stuff that I had the hardest time with. One day last week I just woke up and all those first semester symptoms were gone. So it's been a lot more variety and a lot less take out. Now the problem is that I want to eat everything in sight and haven't worked out once in months.. but that's a bitch in and of itself :)

Oohh...I could go for some chicken noodle soup- it's a chilly rainy night here!

Yeah, I feel "ick" yet haven't had any problem gaining 3 pounds already. Oh well, what can you do?!

new_mommy25
09-25-2008, 07:43 PM
OMG, I can remember cooking meals for my family with my head to the side gagging as I tried to stir. It was horrible. I hope this stage passes quickly for you.

kijip
09-25-2008, 07:50 PM
My husband made us a lot of pancakes and scrambled egg dinners during the high (low?) point of my nausea. Unlucky me, I am still vomiting well into the 2nd trimester here but I am ok cooking at the very least.

Cereal sounds fine! Not a failure at all. At least it is fortified with iron, right? :ROTFLMAO:

lizajane
09-25-2008, 08:00 PM
my DH did all the cooking. while i yelled at him that he HAD to stop talking about the food.

sorry. :( hang in there!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
We did a lot of dh cooking, cereal,takeout and chicken nuggets because they have no scent to me. Don't feel bad about it. Cook what you can when you can.

Dh cut up onions one night and I couldn't stand to be in the house for the next 3 hours my reaction was so bad. And he hadn't even cooked them yet. Frankly I'm amazed you can cook the turkey stuff. Sounds fine by me, I personally don't see the problem with cooking with that for the next couple of months, in the long run it's not really that much time. I couldn't stomach anything but chicken broth with chinese noodles for a couple weeks. Good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
I saved a ton of money on groceries those first few months of pg because I got in and out as fast as I could and didn't even consider if it was something I really liked. I just bought for the boys.

I hope it gets better for you soon!

Beth

LarsMal
09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I saved a ton of money on groceries those first few months of pg because I got in and out as fast as I could and didn't even consider if it was something I really liked. I just bought for the boys.

I hope it gets better for you soon!

Beth

Me too!!! The last two weeks I've gotten out of the grocery store for under $100, which NEVER happens! I've had to go back to pick up a thing or two during the week, but not much.

I was also having major Whole Foods addiction, but now I can't even walk in there, the scent of all the flowers in the front, then mixing with the oils in the toiletries section, and THEN the stinky feet cheese smell...I have to stop typing about it!

JTsMom
09-26-2008, 08:40 AM
The first trimester is not fun. For my entire pregnancy, until the last week or 2, I couldn't have anything to do with chicken, or any other type of poultry. Couldn't look at it, cook it, eat it, etc. It was rough, and I didn't even have any children to feed!

Hang in there- you're almost to the second trimester!

kep
09-26-2008, 08:45 AM
I have been doing very little cooking from scratch. Trader Joe's frozzen dinners have been a life saver. :)

alexsmommy
09-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Julie,
Can't relate on the morning sickness front (not as good as it sounds, repeat mc's due to low progesterone and is the prog that makes you ill). However, I do want to say, you seem like a nice person. So WHY would you make it so easy for me to realize there is tetris on Facebook? Seriously, I create enough distractions from real life as it is!
Off to play tetris...
:)

LarsMal
09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Julie,
Can't relate on the morning sickness front (not as good as it sounds, repeat mc's due to low progesterone and is the prog that makes you ill). However, I do want to say, you seem like a nice person. So WHY would you make it so easy for me to realize there is tetris on Facebook? Seriously, I create enough distractions from real life as it is!
Off to play tetris...
:)

LOL!!! I place all the blame on my good friend! I was looking at her page one day and saw a newsfeed about her Tetris scores. I made the HUGE mistake of clicking on it, and I've been addicted ever since. It helps take my mind off feeling gross, though! Of course, now all I do is try to beat her and her husband's scores (you play against your "friends"). It's bad...really bad!!! My favorites are Ultra and Sprint...I'm off to play, too!

MommyAllison
09-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Ooh, I totally remember that stage...you have my sympathy. I also have a very yummy ground turkey sausage recipe if you want it ;)

LarsMal
09-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Ooh, I totally remember that stage...you have my sympathy. I also have a very yummy ground turkey sausage recipe if you want it ;)

Oooh...yeah, I'll take it! The only one I make is a sausage and peppers pasta. It's yummy, but I could use a new recipe if I'm going to be making it more!

Thanks!