PDA

View Full Version : eek what do I do - scheduling clash

niccig
09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
There's a birthday party for a boy in our playgroup on Sunday 5.30pm. The mum has been distancing herself from the group because of some issues. I don't want to see them leave, but if that's what she decides than I'll respect her decision.

I posted earlier about helping a close friend who's mother just got a terminal cancel diagnosis. I told her I'd bring dinner, she wants all of us to come over with dinner and spend time them, and the best night for them is Sunday night 5.30pm.

I forgot all about the birthday party. If we don't go to the party, I'm worried the mum will see this as a slight against her, but I also don't want to call my friend back who's entire family is in shock and tell her that Sunday doesn't work for me, after telling her we'll do anything we can to help.

Uggh...rock and a hard place.

mamicka
09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Call the playgroup mom & explain what has happened. Try to be bluntly honest & sincere & hope that it comes accross as such. Ask if you can stop by ahead of time to drop off the gift. She still might be slighted but IMO that's the best you can do in your situation. Hopefully she'll understand but its not something I'd worry about.

ShanaMama
09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I'd miss the party and explain why. No need to mention that you forgot about the party ;) just explain about your friend's circumstance. I don't think it will be viewed as a slight in the context.

niccig
09-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks. I just got off the phone and explained the situation. She said to not worry about the party and we can give the gift another time, but I insisted on us dropping it off sometime before the party on Sunday, so DS can say happy birthday to her son. It's the best I can do.

hillview
09-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Great call. How could you not understand?
/hillary

blisstwins
09-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks. I just got off the phone and explained the situation. She said to not worry about the party and we can give the gift another time, but I insisted on us dropping it off sometime before the party on Sunday, so DS can say happy birthday to her son. It's the best I can do.

Beautifully handled all round. You sound like a lovely and thoughtful person.

niccig
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Beautifully handled all round. You sound like a lovely and thoughtful person.

Oh, thanks. I just hate bailing out on people. My younger sister would do that growing up. We had plans with mutual friends and another person would invite her somewhere more fun, and she would bail on the first group and lie about it. Got me angry every time. Because of the current playgroup issues I don't want the mum of the birthday boy to think I'm avoiding them. Note to self. DOUBLE check calendar when making plans to avoid future snafus.