PDA

View Full Version : Groovy Girls

hbridge
09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
What do you think an appropriate age range is for Groovy Girls? DC has two and doesn't play with them much, but it into animals at the moment so that may have something to do with it.

I was thinking of giving one as a gift to a girl turning 7. Is that too old for groovy girls? My other thought is a weaving kit...

I'm giving her 9 year old brother a wooden domino set, so which do you think is more appropriate for his seven year old sister?

Thanks so much.

bubbaray
09-26-2008, 05:40 PM
IMO, 7 is too old for GGs. I could be wrong, but that's my sense.... I would go with the weaving kit, or another craft.

Maybe ask the mom?

hbridge
09-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was just thinking the same thing, seven is definitely too old for GG. I think I'm going to give her the loom.

I'm actually rethinking the dominos for her brother as well. I think I just figured it out. With so many birthdays in October a little switching around and I think it will all work.

Sometimes purchasing birthday gifts ahead with no particular recipient in mind just confuses things. It's a good way to save money, but not always the most efficient way to buy gifts.

Thanks again.

wendmatt
09-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I think it depends on the child. I'm working with 1st graders at the moment and they have show and tell every day and the girls are bringing in dolls and blankets so for some of them a Groovy Girl would be great, they are 6, turning 7. Groovy Girls are supposed to be for the older girls as they are more "groovy"! There are some stories about them and they are about 10 year old girls. My DD likes them on and off and she's almost 6. So I'd say ask the Mom.

Melaine
09-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't think it's too old at all. The accessories/furniture seem geared toward older elementary kids to me. I think they are super cute.

MamaKath
09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd go with a craft kit. There are some really neat ones available from Faber-Castell/Creativity for Kids.

mykidsmom
09-26-2008, 10:57 PM
my dd is 3 and LOVES groovy girls. I would guess over 5 might be too old.

egoldber
09-27-2008, 07:20 AM
I think that GG are actually geared for girls 4 to 8. People tend to buy them for kids that are too young IMO. They are meant as kind of a Barbie doll type doll.

That being said, Sarah has 2 and has never really gotten into them at home although she loves looking at the displays in stores.

I know I'm in a minority, but I really dislike when Sarah gets those craft kits and she does not really enjoy them either. She's always disappointed with how the stuff turns out and with how fragile it is. I would go with art supplies before a craft kit. JMO.

That being said she did get a card making kit once that she absolutely loved and has been very useful.

Twin Mom
09-27-2008, 08:52 AM
If I'm remembering correctly, the age on the actual Groovy Girls dolls is 6+ so I don't think it would wrong to give one to a 7 yo. My DD is going to be 6 next week and she still plays with hers.

egoldber
09-27-2008, 09:43 AM
From the GG website (the info is about the website...)

GroovyGirls.com is designed to entertain and engage girls between the ages of four and ten

shishamo
09-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I really like groovy girls but it seems to work better for younger kids. I have a 6.5 old DD, and she almost never plays with them. None of her friends do, either.

Have you looked at Klutz kits if you are thinking craft kits? There are great, we love them. My DD especially loves the bracelet kit and the shrinky dinks (jewelry version, not the regular version). They are both marketed towards slightly older kids but they works fine for this age group.

I have almost 9 year old DS as well, and to be honest, wooden domino is too young for that age group, IMO. Some of the games that he plays with his friends: Mastermind, Set, Othello, Chess, Battleship, Blokus. A lot of the boys this age are very into lego (especially star wars theme ones), video games, and sports.

Globetrotter
09-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Oh, my dd and her friends are still majorly into GG!! They are nine!

I think they are very age appropriate and the clothes tend to be trendy, so therefore appeal to older girls even.

She got her first dolls at three, and at that age she couldn't handle all the clothing changes :) Now they change clothes on a daily basis! I think it depends on the kid, but I can see this going for another year or two.

Keep in mind that my dd and her friends aren't into Hanna Montana and High school musical and all that stuff (geez, I went to buy funtainer food jars today and found NOTHING appropriate, but that's another story!).