PDA

View Full Version : holy guacamole

kijip
09-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Here is what a hypermesis pregnancy does to my normally reasonably well stocked fridge. I have not been to the grocery store for more than a box of cereal and a dozen eggs since I don't know when. I know we went and stocked up on lunch stuff for T at some point but that is mostly gone now. I opened it up and found:

Milk, eggs, a tiny bit of cheddar cheese, a quart of yogurt, 3 string cheeses

Syrup

Bacon

A collection of bottled condiments

nut butter and nut butter substitutes.

Pickles

A package of fake pepperoni

An single ear of corn and 1/2 a pepper left over from last weeks CSA box.

My husband cleaned the fridge today and organized it a bit. It is all but empty, 3 shelves have nothing on them. It looks like a model home or something.

On the counter we have a few apples, a plum and a peach left over from the same CSA box.

What's for dinner? Pancakes and eggs, apple, plum and peach slices. :ROTFLMAO: Forth night in a row but a few nights ago we had pineapple and tomatoes instead. Thankfully new CSA is coming home tomorrow!

We have a reasonably well stocked freezer and plenty of pantry staples but cooking is just not happening right now. The thought of cooking anything more than toast is out of the question. Going to the store is a no go to, I can't stand the smells. I run in and run out on a very as needed basis. It definitely shows I was driving the shopping and the cooking. Bless my husband for flipping so many pancakes and for doing most everything that needs doing around here. He did a bit more cooking in the summer and I tried to keep up the menu plans but with work and school all around, somethings got a give. T thinks we are nutty for all the breakfast dinners.

I am so looking forwards to the birth. Not only do I get a baby, I have a reasonable assurance that I will get to eat normally in January. My midwife says that when the nausea is not gone by this time, it mostly does not go away till baby comes. That's life.

cdlamis
09-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Katie-
I am so sorry that you are still dealing with the nausea. Mine finally let up around 16 weeks and I thought I would go crazy by then! I cannot imagine going through an entire pregnancy with nausea like that. You definitely have my pity!
I hope the next few months go by very quickly and that you can start enjoying food (and life) again.

buddyleebaby
10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
:hug: Katie.

When I was pregnant my girls ate a lot of pb&banana sandwiches with a side of sliced apple.
It was easy, they liked it, and I could curl up on the couch with my glass of ice.

Do you know the sex of the baby?

kijip
10-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Do you know the sex of the baby?
We are having a little baby boy! People bet on this with the odds pretty heavily in favor of girl (since I have been so sick). T was very disappointed on receiving this news and suggested all on his own that we trade my brother and his husband for the girl they are having in February. He has an overly developed sense of "fair" and thought 3 boys and 1 girl in the house would be unfair while 2 boys and 2 girls was fair. I was like, um, no...it does not work that way. I so am not giving up my baby for my niece, little boy, nor would they do the reverse. Baby boy is ours! We cautioned him heavily against assuming it was a girl before the u/s. I am very happy about baby bean boy and my husband rapidly got over the lack of ability to buy dresses. Over the years I let my husband's desire for a daughter affect me in wanting a daughter but secretly, whenever I thought of kids I thought boys. I think Jo March made too much of an impression on me. :)

And as soon as we found out we were having a boy, a name we had not considered but both LOVE just came to both of us at once, thereby resolving our great boy name debate. We are not sure we will use the name yet (want to see the baby and make up our minds like we did with Toby - we went to the hospital armed with Julian and Tobias and took one look and knew he was a Tobias/Toby even though we had both been leaning towards Julian. :) )

It's getting real and exciting.

Food wise, I do ok I just eat small meals and not too many through the day either. It is hit and miss on if I will need to throw up (avg about 1x a day, ick) and BUT I am able to hold down fluids now so it is much better than it was at first.

T made a joke after dinner today on his own:

"How's about we cook dinner for breakfast!!!!!!!" :ROTFLMAO:

buddyleebaby
10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Congratulations!

I was ONLY sick with Sean so the old wives tale was not true for me either.
Abigail wanted another little sister and would not even discuss the possibility that it might be a boy other than to say "Well...I guess if it's a boy we could name him Diego." When we called to tell her the news she told my mom "but Emily (her name for a girl) is missing". However, by the time she got to the hospital she was over it and has been nothing but wonderful with him.
I'm sure Toby will do great- glad you are feeling a little better. Being able to keep down water is a good thing!

TaChapm
10-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Katie,
Congratulations on having a boy! I'm so sorry you are dealing with such terrible nausea.

I was so sick with Jackson for the entire pregnancy! My OB put me on phenergan tablets one-two times daily and that really helped ease things for me. I had a lot of issues with getting up at night to go to the bathroom and then the nausea setting in. If I would take the phenergan at night before bed it seemed to get me through most of the next day without being too sick. They always made me tired so as long as I took them at night I would sleep great but by the next morning that side effect had worn off and I just had the benefit of not being as sick. I tried to stop taking them once but I had to have them to get me through. I know medication might not be your first choice but it really did help me out and my OB said it was completely safe for me and the baby. (I was high risk and took them my entire pregnancy)

I hope things get better soon!

saschalicks
10-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Katie,
We have matching refrigerators. Except in my case my husband is the chef. However, me feeling bad and not being able to help in other ways had our food issues on the rise. Poor guy can't do everything. I feel your pain in the lack of food department.

My issues are not stomach like yours, but extreme exhaustion that I can't shake. It's a little better, but for the most part being in bed is the only place I feel OK. Waking up in the AM for work is a killer.

Congrats on the baby boy. 2 boys is so much fun! T will get over it when he realizes you just gave him a best friend for life.

niccig
10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Katie, Candice - Can you get groceries delivered? It won't help with nausea or exhaustion when it comes time to make food, but they'll be food for others to grab. On days when I was sick, DS could reach apples, carrot sticks, turkey, cheese sticks and yogurt, it was an easy meal and I didn't have to move.

zephyr
10-02-2008, 12:26 AM
My neighbor had nausea throughout her whole pregnancy and only gained 12 pounds during her whole nine months.

kijip
10-02-2008, 01:30 AM
My neighbor had nausea throughout her whole pregnancy and only gained 12 pounds during her whole nine months.

I've been a bit uneasy about that. I am down about 20 pounds from when I got pregnant. At this rate I may end the pregnancy with no weight gain.

kijip
10-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Katie, Candice - Can you get groceries delivered? It won't help with nausea or exhaustion when it comes time to make food, but they'll be food for others to grab. On days when I was sick, DS could reach apples, carrot sticks, turkey, cheese sticks and yogurt, it was an easy meal and I didn't have to move.

Good idea. I soooooo wish Home Grocer still existed. The replacements have never been as appealing to me for some reason! But I should see what is going now and try it again.

ShanaMama
10-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I am so looking forwards to the birth. Not only do I get a baby, I have a reasonable assurance that I will get to eat normally in January. My midwife says that when the nausea is not gone by this time, it mostly does not go away till baby comes. That's life.

I totally sympathize (sp?)!! My mother, who never threw up once in 6 pregnancies, kept giving me new milestones throughout my pregnancy. At 10 weeks it will get better, at 12 weeks, oh, really, it will get better at 16 weeks. Nope. I took Zofran relgiously- it was my wonder drug. In my ninth month I tried to wean off it, figuring I couldn't still be having nausea, and I started throwing up all over again. My older sister was in the hospital for dehydration numerous times with her twin pregnancy, and my younger sis who is currently preggers doesn't take Zofran based on her doctor's rec. She is pretty sick and has barely gained weight. I hope you are different and your hyperemesis miraculously disappears.

Congrats on your little boy, btw.