PDA

View Full Version : FTM - Due Sunday

luna7997
10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Ok, not sure if this is the right place to post this or not - but I am a FTM due on Sunday. I had my weekly visit today at 9am, and unfortunately my Dr was at the hospital, so I saw the nurse practitioner. We have only seen her a few times before, and she seems very inexperienced (when she checked me last week it was as if she hadn't done it before, feeling a dilated cervix for the first time or something). So, my DH is nervous that I may be more dilated or that I am not getting the care I need at this point I guess. My point to him was that if I was in labor - I would know it! So, as long as I am not I am fine.

I think the main issue is that since I am due on a Sunday, I won't see my Dr again until next Wednesday...the day after she generally does her inductions. Although I don't want to be induced (they asked me like 3 times today if I wanted to schedule lol), that would put me a week and two days over if I don't go by then - by the time she can induce (she has noted that she doesn't like to let you go more than 41 weeks).

I am honestly not concerned at all, and I have plenty of patience that he will come when he is 100% ready and not before...but my DH is not as comfortable. I think it's partially my fault for causing a "false alarm" last Friday - we went to L&D because I thought my water was "leaking". Apparently it was something else - not sure what....but now he is all "revved up".

Guess I am just looking for some BTDT or opinions on whether or not I am being too nonchalant?

jhrabosk
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think you're being too nonchalant at all. What is it that has your DH concerned?

Unless you can absolutely pinpoint the date of your conception, your due date is an approximate. For example, I know my cycles run long, so when I was pregnant, my due date was probably close to a week earlier than it actually should have been. So, I wouldn't stress out about how far past that date you've gone.

I think that you have exactly the right attitude...getting worked up and stressed out isn't going to help things along. Relax, get lots of rest, and get ready!

Good luck!

mom2binsd
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I'd put a call in and talk to the OB's nurse (not the NP)...or the OB...with my first I was 9 days late...finally went into labor after my OB had stripped my membranes twice (baby was getting big and my OB was wanting me to deliver soon)...I honestly didn't even notice my water breaking..it wasn't a big gush...however the contractions were not mistaken for anything but labor even for a first timer....like everyone had said "you'll know when you're in labor". Baby girl arrived via c-section...8 lb5oz....she presented "sunnyside up" and they couldn't turn her...I didn't progress.....all went great with the c!

Call and speak to your doctor though to ease your mind...you don't need any extra stress right now!

o_mom
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
I think you are fine. The average first time mom goes in to labor between 41 and 42 weeks if they are not messed with. Waiting until 41w 2d is not a big deal at all. I wouldn't consent to induction before 42 w without medical reason and being 'overdue' or 'suspected large baby' is not a medical reason.

First labors are usually longer and I think you can be 99.99% certain you will not have this baby without knowing it. :) I know your DH (and you!) is excited and the anticipation is hard, but it is worth the wait.

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
If it would make your dh feel better, call and see about getting a non stress test (hook you up to the monitor and watch how baby's heart reat reacts to their movement- takes about 20-40 minutes, usually) and a biophysical profile (u/s that will measure amniotic fluid leve, condition of the placenta and a few other things that show how baby is doing in there). It was routine practice to have those scheduled at 41 weeks at both the OB's office I went to and the MW practice I went to. Both times baby was happy and healthy at 41 weeks. :)

I think there is a time and place for an induction but that should be based on how you and baby are doing, not what the calendar says. Remind your dh that inductions carry risks and if you can let baby come on their terms it can mean a safer birth for you and baby.

Baby #1 came at 42 weeks, 2 days before an induction was scheduled. Ds2 came somewhere at 9-12 days "late" depending on who you ask. :) Both were happy and healthy. They just needed more time to cook.

Good luck!
Beth

niccig
10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
We knew DS's exact day of conception, and he was 8 days late. My OB won't induce unless medical reason. I did have stress test and was checked twice while we were waiting for him. He came when he was ready, and then it was a very quick labour for first time child. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

luna7997
10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm certainly not worried, excited and expectant maybe, but not worried.

I just don't know how to deal with my DH's anxiety. Not sure if there is anything I could say/do at this point to help him relax.

You know, I shouldn't have to worry about everyone else right now!! :ROTFLMAO: But I do, I have to keep everyone informed of every BM it seems like. Oh well, it won't be much longer, then no one will be paying any attention to me anymore.

Thanks for all the advice, I know you're right - and it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one who feels that my baby is good right where he is for as long as he needs to be! :wink2:

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2008, 03:23 PM
My advice? Stop thinking about braxton hicks. Seriously. If you really suspect something then do this:
-time them for 30 minutes.
-take a warm bath, drink a big glass or 2 of water and forget about them *unless* there is some major change in intensity or frequency.

Don't let yourself notice every single contractions. From week 37-40.5 I timed everything and got dh thinking labor was imminent. It was exhausting for both of us. Your body is more responsive to oxytocin at night so you mayeven get some regular braxton hicks. Make yourself go to sleep! Don't stay up timing them or wishing them to be something more.

When I finally stopped obsessing about every twinge around 40.5 weeks the pregnancy got much easier. :) With baby #2 I refsed to time any braxton hicks. I started timing things when I was actually in labor because I noticed that something was happening regularly.

It's hard not to feel like a watched pot waiting to boil. Tell everyone to just relax and things will happen. :)

Beth