PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Your favorite Crock Pot Recipes.

AuGoldie
10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I just got my first crock pot and I'm eager to start using it. I think it will be real helpful when the baby comes in January. Could you please share your favorite recipes. Can you make rice dishes in a crock?
Thanks,
Jackie

brittone2
10-01-2008, 03:17 PM
I have a lamb stew/curry in the crockpot currently (lamb, cauliflower, curry sauce, and will add some spinach toward the end). I made a grass-fed beef post roast in it last night (with turnips and a few carrots). I tend to just use mine mostly for roasts, etc.

egoldber
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I mainly use mine for

soups
stews
chilis
tomato sauces
cooking dry

I usually don't like the way that meats taste in the crockpot unless they are stewed. I do make pot roast sometimes and it is good for that. Also IME ground meats work better, so I have used it for things like meatballs and meatloaf with success. I don't really like the way the meatloaf looks in the crockpot though IYKWIM.

srhs
10-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Random tips

1. I checked out The One-Armed Cook from the library when I was pregnant, and I think it had a lot of crockpot recipes.
2. One of my faves is the chicken soup I posted on the "favorite frozen chicken..." thread, although you may decide to avoid beans if BFing.
(http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=296171 #7)
3. You'll be AMAZED by the yummy tenderness of roast w/s&p+packet of french onion soup mix+can cream mushroom soup+can water, but I realize that has 2 super-processed ingredients for many people's tastes. (fyi: adding veggies dries this option out so I make them separate.)
4. I am not a morning person so like to make my crockpot recipes the night before, refrigerate, and then pop in the crock in the morning.
5. Chili, of course.
6. Homemade spaghetti sauce
7. Burgundy beef tips

Looking forward to the other recipes from more posters... :18:

wencit
10-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I got this recipe from the BBB a couple years ago, and it's pretty good:

1 pot roast
1 packet dry Ranch dressing
1 packet Italian seasoning mix
1 packet brown gravy mix
1/4 c water

Throw into the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours. I usually throw in some veggies, too, like carrots and onion chunks.

nfowife
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
My all-time favorite recipe for the crock pot (not mine though!):
white chicken chili

2 cans northern white beans (undrained)
1 can mild or regular rotel
1 cup milk (skim to whole, you can choose)
2-3 chix breasts, diced (or you can use 2 large cans white meat chicken in a pinch, doesn't taste as good but it's close)
1 T dried cilantro (optional)
1 t cumin

On low for 4-6 hours. Top with sour cream, cheese, and crushed up tortilla chips. I serve it with cornbread on the side. Yummy!!

Tondi G
10-01-2008, 04:42 PM
North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ
6 lbs boneless pork butt, shoulder or blade
2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes with garlic
1 cup apple cider vinegar
4 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs crushed red pepper flakes (heaping)
2 Tbs salt
4 ts black pepper

Combine all in a crock pot. Cook on low at least 10 hours. Makes 5 lbs of BBQ.

Once the pork is cooked, remove from crock pot, place in large tray (I usually use the disposable aluminum ones). 'Pull' the BBQ with 2 large forks, throw out any fat. Add juice from the crock pot as needed, make sure to get lots of the tomatoes. Freezes really well in Ziplock Freezer bags.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Crockpot Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients:
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Directions
1. Coat the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray
2. in a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Mix in uncooked macaroni and 3 cups of shredded cheese. Transfer to slow cooker, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
3. Cook on low for 3 to 5 hours. Do not stir or remove lid while cooking.

* Yields 6 servings. Double the recipe when serving more than family and the cooking time is extremely variable. Until you know how it will turn out in your crock pot, make sure you watch it while cooking. May get away with cooking it for 2 hours on high.

MelissaTC
10-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Chicken Taco Soup- can have a little kick but it is so so good!

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
crushed tortilla chips (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

I have added cilantro and garlic to this recipe and have used Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn. It is so good!

tylersmama
10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
For lots of great recipe ideas, check out A Year of Crockpotting (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/). It's the blog of a woman who is attempting to use her crockpot every single day for an entire year! There are some really tasty looking recipes on there.

brittone2
10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
2 cookbooks I've skimmed and heard good things about in terms of crockpot recipes that aren't focused on processed ingredients are

Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker and

Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker (or something like that)

IIRC, some recipes in both may be a little labor-intensive for crockpot recipes/new baby, but they might be worth skimming at the library or bookstore.

elephantmeg
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
swiss chicken

take 4 chicken breasts and put them on the bottom of the crockpot. Cover them with 1 slice of swiss cheese each. Mix a can of cream of something soup and 1/2 c (I think) of milk and pour over. Cover with a box of stuffing mix. Drizzle the stuffing with 1/4 c of oil (it calls for melted butter or margerine but I use oil). Cook on high 4-6 or low all day. DELISH

SASM
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
THAI CHICKPEA STEW (Thank you, Allison!!!)

Now, to me this is not a heavy stew, it's more like a soupy entree. It's definitely something you'd serve in a bowl with a spoon, but it's not heavy-thick. It is a crockpot special, YAY, but the chickpeas don't get mushy.

I serve this with Jasmine rice and cucumber spinach salad.

2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 c chopped vidalia onion (1 cup regular)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 19 ounce cans (note the odd size) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes, UNdrained
1 14 oz can coconut milk (light doesn't make a difference, see the fat content below)
1 Tbs good curry powder (mine is just from Whole Foods--very hot curries may need adjustment but for me this is good)
2 Tbs minced *pickled* jalapeno pepper (this is what I cut down--I use about a teaspoon because I'm a spice wimp)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped fresh basil (or cilantro, if you'd rather)

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium. Add onion and garlic; saute 5 min or until onion is tender. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a 3 1/2 qt electric slow cooker. Stir well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in basil or cilantro and serve over rice. Serves six to eight.

With regular coconut milk and including 3/4 c rice, this has 404 calories, 9g protein, 14g fat, 7 g fiber and way too many carbs.

I love this stuff! Debbi, I was thinking of you the last time I made this, wishing I'd brought you some!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another easy favorite is not exactly healthy but comforting...
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-and-Dumplings/Detail.aspx

I do add more vegetables (mushrooms, carrots, peas) and use either Healthy Request Cream of Chicken or Mushroom soups. I have not found whole wheat refrigerated dough yet so I just use whatever has the highest fiber (ha!) and lowest fat (haha!). This is actually going to be our dinner tomorrow..yum! :)

kep
10-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Please post more recipes! I went to the store today and bought ingredients for three of these recipes. Yummy! I can't wait to make them. :love-retry:

TonFirst
10-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I am addicted to this carnitas recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/SLOW-COOKED-CARNITAS-TACOS-241855

I buy a big piece of pork from Costco, cut it into four three-pound pieces, and freeze them so I can pull one out whenever I get a craving. This recipe is SO GOOD, really.

alexsmommy
10-03-2008, 06:47 PM
For lots of great recipe ideas, check out A Year of Crockpotting (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/). It's the blog of a woman who is attempting to use her crockpot every single day for an entire year! There are some really tasty looking recipes on there.

Thanks for this one - lots of recipes I want to try. MmmmMmmm.

Emmas Mom
10-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Long name but SOOO yummy.

3-4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Can Chicken broth (14.5 oz)
1 Cup water
1 Cup salsa
1 Can corn, drained (or 2 cups frozen)
1 Can black beans, drained
1 pkg Spanish Rice mix
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1 Cup grated cheese

Mix in crockpot: broth, water, salsa, corn, beans and rice mix. Add in chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and place on serving dish. Stir sour cream and cheese into the sauce in the crockpot. You can pour this over the chicken or cut up the chicken & mix it all together then serve in warm tortillas. :)