PDA

View Full Version : So, which debate did you watch?

bubbaray
10-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I watched the Canadian one and DH watched the US one (ironic, as I'm US/Canadian, he's Canadian/German). I recorded both, so I'll likely watch the US one this weekend.

I'm a Harper fan (not so much "him", but I'm conservative in general terms). But, man, he needs some TV coaching. LOOK at the freakin' camera, Stevie. And, don't gesture towards yourself. It looks weird on camera. I thought he stayed diplomatic, which is about all the incumbent can really do in debates.

AND, I thought the moderator did a completely crappy job. He had no control. I like the old, podium style MUCH better. This round table crap was just a free-for-all.

psophia17
10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I watched the US VP debate. While waiting for it to come on (after the boys were in bed), I tried to watch the PM one, but it was...well, who really cares, after all the PM is chosen by who the MPs are, right? I couldn't get into it, and the round table was a failure, especially since there were so many people around it all yammering at roughly the same time.

bubbaray
10-03-2008, 09:03 PM
after all the PM is chosen by who the MPs are, right?

Hmm, not exactly. The PM must hold a seat in the Commons, so technically, s/he (we actually did have a female PM, Kim Campbell, for a short while in the '80s) is also an MP (member of Parliament, kinda like a House Representative). The leader of the party with either a majority or the largest minority party (in the case of a minority gov't) is the PM. Technically, the leader of each party is selected by the party members in a nomination race (somewhat similar as in the US).

Its not all that different from the US in the end result. You vote for the party or the person, or both.

MontrealMum
10-03-2008, 10:10 PM
We watched the French debate on Wed. since we were curious to see how different Dion might be in French. It was a total free-for-all! We then watched the US VP debate yesterday, and taped the Eng. one - I guess we'll watch it this weekend. I had enough of a hard time with the lack of formal debate style in the 1st Obama-McCain debate, the Can. leaders' roundtable thing was quite a ride!