PDA

View Full Version : took my home biz wares to a "home show"...

lizajane
10-04-2008, 04:39 PM
and only made (gross) $200. poo. my average event is about $800, with my record at $2500.

i had a nice time with the other vendors at the open house. and i had a nice time making some new things for the event that were applicable to the fall season. (i had a lot of spring/summer items in stock). so i am actually not really even bitching. (because i am being very positive!!! ;) )

but the flat out truth is:

i was really hoping to gross $1000 so i could buy a new sofa.

oh well. i will hit up the moms on the playground after preschool and see what i can come up with- in terms of more cash. (because they have been asking me to show them new things, not because i am pushy!!!)

-disclaimer: due to BBB regulations, i cannot disclose the items i make and sell so my post is intentionally vague.-

maestramommy
10-04-2008, 05:00 PM
FWIW Liza, I am totally in awe of anyone who is talented enough to make things they can actually sell:thumbsup:

JTsMom
10-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm sorry it was a let down. The stuff of yours I've seen is gorgeous, so I'm surprised people weren't beating down the doors to get to it! At least you met some good people, and sometimes that goes a long way. :hug:

ha98ed14
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
-disclaimer: due to BBB regulations, i cannot disclose the items i make and sell so my post is intentionally vague.-

Wait, tell me why this is? I thought the ladies who had home businesses just had to say that they owned them in their signatures. For a while you had "LizaJaneBaby" and we all knew you did baby clothes. Another lady has a cloth diaper biz. So how is home goods/ wares any diff?

gatorsmom
10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I would love to see more of your stuff. If you have to be vague on the boards, can you at least pm me your website? I guess I don't understand why you cant put at least your web address in your signature?

Sorry the show didn't go as you expected.

lizajane
10-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Wait, tell me why this is? I thought the ladies who had home businesses just had to say that they owned them in their signatures. For a while you had "LizaJaneBaby" and we all knew you did baby clothes. Another lady has a cloth diaper biz. So how is home goods/ wares any diff?

every time i have mentioned the nature of my business, except for the name only in my sig, i have received a PM from a Mod asking me to remove the information or the information has been removed by the Mod herself. therefore, i no longer take chances as this board is important to me and i do not wish to be expelled. my business is lizajane baby. but i won't say anything else about it. i do answer questions about sewing in other context when folks need help.

lizajane
10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I would love to see more of your stuff. If you have to be vague on the boards, can you at least pm me your website? I guess I don't understand why you cant put at least your web address in your signature?

Sorry the show didn't go as you expected.

i put the web address in my sig one time a while back and i was immediately PM'd and asked to remove it. so i did, as i like hanging around here and didn't want to upset anyone.

MontrealMum
10-06-2008, 11:14 PM
So sorry you didn't sell more Liza. I checked out your website a while back because I was curious, and your things are beautiful!!! I am awestruck that you can create pieces like that by hand. I'm sure the low sales were due to awful weather, or something else out of your control.

o_mom
10-07-2008, 07:51 AM
i put the web address in my sig one time a while back and i was immediately PM'd and asked to remove it. so i did, as i like hanging around here and didn't want to upset anyone.

From the rules post:

"NO-COMMERCIAL POLICY: We do not allow ads, spam, pitches, etc. to be posted on this board. Please do not put ads (or links to other web sites with commercial content) in your signature line. Users who violate this policy will be removed from the boards. We also do not allow links with referral id's or commission links, or coupon codes or posts intended to generate referral incentives.

VENDORS: Vendors are only allowed to post if they are answering a specific question/complaint about their product. They must clearly identify themselves as the owner of XYZ Business. If you are a parent who owns a business, you are required to disclose your business in your signature line; you may not, however, link to your site.

Acceptable -->
Jane Doe
Owner, Baby Product Business

Not Acceptable -->
Jane Doe
Babyproductbusiness.com"

So, I guess you can answer specific questions, put the name in your sig, but not the web address.

I'll add to the "Liza makes great products" bandwagon, too :love-retry:

ha98ed14
10-08-2008, 05:21 AM
*ETA: I just saw OMOMs post. There is my answer. Duh. Sorry. FWIW, I don't have a prob with a link. But if you think about it, if someone wants to find your biz, they can PM you or do a google search.

i put the web address in my sig one time a while back and i was immediately PM'd and asked to remove it.

I don't get why. There is a lady who has in her sig "Owner if XYZ diaper biz, currently on sabbatical." Why is that allowed and yours isn't? Just looking for clarity.

Personally, if anyone on here had a home biz on Etsy and it was something I was actually looking for, I would WANT to buy from them because it would probably be very good quality. I understand the mods not wanting biz owners to use the boards as free advertising space, but a tag line in your sig or mentioning, "I made baby blankets for a home show" in a post to be fairly harmless. People here are pretty sophisticated. I think they will know when someone is trying to sell something and their post would probably be boycotted (or at least I would. Maybe I am petty. Hee Hee.)