PDA

View Full Version : Do I need the infant insert with an Ergo?

kijip
10-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Is it a function of size/weight or a function of age/neck and head support? How long do you need the insert? When did you start using an Ergo with no insert for a newborn? Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
10-05-2008, 08:53 PM
It's a fuzzy time for me to try to recall, but I did use it for maybe 2.5 mos. I remember using it A LOT during that time, though as it was very nice and snuggly to have him rolled up and sleeping while I played with DD around the house or went to church or cleaning or whatever.

The thing that made me stop using it was because he was so long his little legs were getting bonked when I went around corners too closely. When I turned him straight up froggy style, he still used it for a little bit, but then seemed to be able to support himself better.

nrp
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't have the infant insert, so it may well be more convenient, but I didn't have any trouble using a large baby blanket folded over and using it like I imagine you would use the infant insert. DS seemed pretty snugly that way, and I moved him to froggy style around 3 months, when he had better head control. He's pretty big, though, so a tiny baby may not fit well froggy style that early.

ellies mom
10-07-2008, 03:00 AM
We used a folded receiving blanket. The salesperson at the store recommended it. We probably used it for 2-3 months until we went froggy style also.

Swimfreak78
10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I also used a folded up blanket for a bit

Radosti
10-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Yup, receiving blanket here too for a bit. However, it was summer and that got too hot. Plus DS2 was a big newborn. So, I just put him in the infant position without anything and it worked for us.

jent
10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
How do you guys do the folded blankets? This is the first time I've heard of it.

I've been considering splurging on an infant insert for my sister, who just had DC#2 (the older child used the Ergo the "standard" way once she was 6 mos or so). But the money could be better spend on something else for my niece, so I'd love to find out how to use a blanket instead.

Thanks!

reissgirl
11-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I used it without the infant insert or a blanket. My DS was a big boy (bought the Ergo when he was around 3 months) and it was just too "squishy" with the insert.

ellies mom
11-04-2008, 01:02 AM
How do you guys do the folded blankets? This is the first time I've heard of it.

I've been considering splurging on an infant insert for my sister, who just had DC#2 (the older child used the Ergo the "standard" way once she was 6 mos or so). But the money could be better spend on something else for my niece, so I'd love to find out how to use a blanket instead.

Thanks!

You just fold up a receiving blanket or some other small blanket so it is about the same size as the insert and then use it the same way.