PDA

View Full Version : Flying with kids - age 2 and 5

new_mommy25
10-07-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm itching big time to visit my family and I think I'm going to take Noah and Ruby to Denver next month. I found a non-stop flight that is 7 hours there and 8 on the way back. What should I buy for a 2 year old and 5 year old to keep them from driving me insane? Did I mention I would be going alone? :hysterical: Yes, I am crazy but for the most part my kids are pretty well behaved during travel so I'm pretty confident. :praying:

I have already:
DVD player
Nintendo DS
Leapster (probably will bring only DS)

Ideas for Noah:
Maze/hidden pictures/activity books
Where's Waldo?
Captain Underpants (we have books 1-5, I would buy the next few)
small Lego kits (probably the Lego Racers so he can drive them around after he builds)
Star Wars action figures

He's the easy one since I know what he likes. He'll probably play and read a bit but for the most part will be content with watching a movie or playing the DS. Ruby still doesn't really care for TV so the DVD player will only buy me very short amounts of time with her.

Ideas for Ruby:
Color Wonder
Paper and crayons or markers (Noah will use these too)
stickers
mini playdohs (too messy?)
Magnadoodle
Doll and bottle (bring her favorite Calin since she is small and maybe surprise her with new bottle or other accessory??)
books

??? Any other suggestions? Is there a magical toy that 2 year olds love that will keep her occupied for long periods of time? :D At home the only things she really plays with are her baby dolls and stuffed animals, play kitchen, and lots and lots of coloring, painting, gluing, stickers etc. She loves to create but that is difficult on an airplane.

I will be bringing my Dad Gear backpack which can fit a TON of stuff. I might also have Noah wear a backpack lightly packed with his stuff just to free up space in my pack. I'm not sure if my backpack will be enough or if I should bring a separate diaper bag (I have the Skip Hop dash) or even a small rolling suitcase. Last time I flew with both kids we brought two backpacks but DH was with me. I'll have the P3 which I can load up with the bags to push through the airport. The biggest things that will take up the most room are snacks and sweatshirts. We probably won't eat too many snacks on the way up because it's a red eye, but on the way back I will need lots of rooms for snacks because it's a day flight.

Thank you for any and all suggestions. :love-retry: