PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Government Testing

MontrealMum
10-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Just a quick question...I've applied for a position in the governemnt (LAC) in anticipating of finishing my program, and had to register to take two govt. tests: the Written Communication Proficiency test, and the Situational Judgement test. Anyone written these, or know of anyone who has? Any advice or words of wisdon? TIA.

bubbaray
10-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Can you find out the exact names of the tests? They are probably just the usual standardized testing to try to figure out if you are proficient in whatever official languge(s) you are competing in and if you have good judgment. I've taken some tests and there's really no way to prep for them. Kinda like an IQ test -- it is what it is, KWIM?

If you can find out the name of the tests I can ask around.

MontrealMum
10-10-2008, 12:50 AM
The information sheet just says "Written Communication Proficiency Test" and "Situational Judgement Test". I'm not too worried about the first one, I think it's most likely as you said. But I'm not too sure about the other one. I'm sure it was mentioned in my management class last year - during one of the many times I was not listening. If you know anyone that's done that one, and has tips for how to show good judgment I wouldn't mind hearing. Though, I guess you can't really prep for that either - you either have it or you don't.

EllasMum
10-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I have written a number of the government exams. If they are multiple choice, they start off very easy and get progressively harder, so don't spend alot of time on the early questions, IYKWIM. I believe I wrote the situational judgement test and it required *intensive* writing - I recall having 3 hours to write, and needing EVERY second of the time. If it is the test I am thinking of, you are required to read a passage (about a page or two) and then asked questions which basically require you to put yourself in that situation and describe how you would (or, if you have BTDT, how you did) respond. As a PP mentioned, they are pretty much impossible to study for.
As for the other test, my guess is that the exam will be looking for how well you express yourself in a written format - again, not something you can study for. IME, it is best to keep it simple - be concise and clear and not overly wordy. The government is far too wordy as it is. ;)

I just recalled a typical question from the situational judgement test: "Describe a situation in which you were confronted with a potentially dangerous situation and how you reacted." If you have never professionally been in that situation, it is acceptable in these exams to use a personal experience. I had a friend who used a parenting situation for one of the questions and got full marks!

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you!

mom2binsd
10-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Molly,

From reading your posts I can tell you are far more intelligent and qualified than most of the civil servants in the Government (I grew up in Ottawa the "silly servant" capital of the world!)...you will do fine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using all your testing experience and basic knowledge will be plenty to get you through the tests.

Good luck though anyway!

ThreeofUs
10-11-2008, 03:04 PM
No btdt, just best wishes to you!