PDA

View Full Version : My house is trashed...

niccig
10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Ugh...it's a nightmare...I can't walk without tripping over a single thing. Needs some serious cleaning up, actually needs decluttering, but I have NO motivation...Sigh.

SnuggleBuggles
10-11-2008, 03:01 PM
I hear you! I had the house totally clean just the other day too (well, a week ago now). I took one day off on chores (lazy, I konw) and I haven't been able to catch up yet. We should both set a goal on when we will get some major decluttering done then make each other stick to it. :)

Beth

trales
10-11-2008, 05:13 PM
My house was so clean about 4 days ago. Now I keep tripping and it is a mess. I can' t believe how dirty it can get so quickly. I can't take it anymore. No one in the house sees it.

elizabethkott
10-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Ladies, this is why wine was invented.
Grab a bottle, insert a twisty straw, and drink.
Repeat.
In half an hour, your house with either be magically clean, or you won't care anymore! Apathy in a bottle! YAY! :)
(and a cupcake. just for good measure.)

gatorsmom
10-11-2008, 10:37 PM
No one in the house sees it.

In my case I need to change the above phrase to , "no one in the house sees THEIR PORTION of the mess."

In an effort to do some healthier cooking, I've started making a few dishes from scratch each week (I double the recipe and it lasts a couple of nights). But, yeah, cooking from scratch makes a mess. It also takes some time. And with little kids interupting all day long, it sometimes doesn't get cleaned up immediately. So today our family was busy and pretty much everyone trashed the house. But what does DH focus on? The messy pots and pans I've yet to clean from prepping the roast we ate for dinner. He starts huffing and puffing around the kitchen banging doors and proclaims, "when you cook in the kitchen you should clean up as you go along!"

Seriously? let's start looking around the house, DH. You get home and throw your keys, wallet and misc receipts on the countertop yet there is a basket provided for these things. You have clothes strewn all over the downstairs floor- some dirty some clean. Your empty soda can is sitting onthe counter NEXT to the recycling bin. Now, what was it you were telling me to do again??? sheesh.

Nicci, sorry to hijack. And could you pass me that bottle of wine?

elektra
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Your empty soda can is sitting on the counter NEXT to the recycling bin.

Don't you know that you must leave it out like this to let the leftover soda droplets dry to the bottom of the can so as it doesn't leak in the recycle bin and get it sticky? (This is according to my DH). Puhleeze. Who ends up throwing them in the recycle eventually? Regarless of how coagulated the soda is or isn't? Uh that would be me.

Oh and my DH got on me a few weeks ago for not cleaning up DD's highchair promptly after her meal was finished. I mean I get not being exactly happy about walking in the door from work and the first thing you see is a messy highchair. Obviously not pleasant. HOWEVER, if you never actually feed DD or clean up after her, and you are not in charge of watching her while trying to clean up at the same time, you are not allowed to complain if the whole thing is not done exactly to your liking! I seriously could not believe he had the nerve. I think he knew it was ridiculous to complain too because I haven't heard another word about it since.

elizabethkott
10-11-2008, 11:12 PM
DH's favorite excuse is "I was watching J". Um... no. It is entirely possible for you to watch the kiddo AND clean up after yourselves at the same time. *I* am able to do it. The babysitter is able to do it. Why are we different than you? It's not like our uteruses give us super cleaning power or anything.
Yeish.

wencit
10-12-2008, 01:25 AM
In an effort to do some healthier cooking, I've started making a few dishes from scratch each week (I double the recipe and it lasts a couple of nights). But, yeah, cooking from scratch makes a mess. It also takes some time. And with little kids interupting all day long, it sometimes doesn't get cleaned up immediately. So today our family was busy and pretty much everyone trashed the house. But what does DH focus on? The messy pots and pans I've yet to clean from prepping the roast we ate for dinner. He starts huffing and puffing around the kitchen banging doors and proclaims, "when you cook in the kitchen you should clean up as you go along!" Hey! I didn't know my DH was married to you on the side, LOL! That is exactly what I hear from him every time I cook a meal. "Do you have to use every single pot and dish we own when you cook?!"

Mmm hmmm. Hey, hon, feel free to cook a dinner for ME sometime!

kijip
10-12-2008, 02:24 AM
In an effort to do some healthier cooking, I've started making a few dishes from scratch each week (I double the recipe and it lasts a couple of nights). But, yeah, cooking from scratch makes a mess. It also takes some time. And with little kids interupting all day long, it sometimes doesn't get cleaned up immediately. So today our family was busy and pretty much everyone trashed the house. But what does DH focus on? The messy pots and pans I've yet to clean from prepping the roast we ate for dinner. He starts huffing and puffing around the kitchen banging doors and proclaims, "when you cook in the kitchen you should clean up as you go along!"

You could threaten to institute our rule- whoever did not cook it but ate it anyway gets to clean it up (unless of course one of us is sick or maybe a birthday dinner etc). I mostly do clean as I go so J's cleaning the kitchen is mostly doing the dishes, sweeping the floors and wiping the countertops BUT I have a small kitchen (big motivator for not making any mess- if you do your work surface is gone!!!) and only one, older and mostly self entertaining, child in the house. If I cooked a roast with 4 kids in the house, I'd expect a freaking medal on top of my husband cleaning the kitchen after dinner. Really I :bowdown: to you for starting to cook from scratch with 4 kids to look after at the same time. Your husband is a lucky man.

niccig
10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Seriously? let's start looking around the house, DH. You get home and throw your keys, wallet and misc receipts on the countertop yet there is a basket provided for these things. You have clothes strewn all over the downstairs floor- some dirty some clean. Your empty soda can is sitting onthe counter NEXT to the recycling bin. Now, what was it you were telling me to do again??? sheesh.

Nicci, sorry to hijack. And could you pass me that bottle of wine?

No hijack. My DH does the same. He leaves cans of half-empty soda for DAYS. He just doesn't see the other cans beside the new one he's drinking. I've left them to see how long it is before he'll see them on top of the TV, on the coffee table, on the side table, on the night stand, on the dining table. DS knocked one onto the carpet the other day. Next time DS needs to have better aim, like DH's camera or iPod or work bag. Maybe then they'll be put in the recycling.

DH does do the dishes most nights. I'll normally clean as I go too, because of a small kitchen, but if I don't, or if the dishwasher is not unstacked, he'll moan about it. He's learned not to moan about the food - I've told him In-N-Out burger is open to 1am if he doesn't like what was made for dinner.