PDA

View Full Version : Another "Balance Bikes Rock" Thread

o_mom
10-11-2008, 09:02 PM
DS1 has had a KinderBike (http://www.mykinderbike.com/)for about 18 months. He has never been a gross motor skills kind of kid - late to jump, very cautious, etc, on top of being small for his age. He was slow to warm up to the balance bike, but really took off this summer. We got a hand-me-down 14" bike for him last month, but haven't really had time to work with him until today.

I took him to the local school parking lot and he took off the first time with no falls. After about 5-6 starts and stops and a bit of instruction on how to start with the pedal that is higher, he had it down and spent the next hour riding all over the place. This was WITHOUT training wheels! It was such a non-event, it was almost a letdown. :D

Now I have to find a 12" bike w/o training wheels for DS2 because he isn't far behind.

brittone2
10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
:yay:
:cheerleader1:
:bighand:
:applause:
:jammin:

What a milestone!! DS rocks w/ his balance bike (he's had his for about the same amount of time) and could probably do a pedal bike. We haven't bought one yet as I'm not sure if I want to hold out for a 16 incher, and he's a little bit too short to do well on a 16 right now. (he was measured and was right on the break between 12 and 16 at the bike shop).

Congratulations :) I hope DS has similar success. I should probably just find him a 14 incher.

DrSally
10-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I was just going to post a "balance bikes rock" thread too! DS has had one for several months. They had a "bike day" at his parent's day out program. All the kids brought their "bikes". Everyone in DS's 2-3 yo class had various trikes or plastic contraptions, most couldn't even pedal them. Ds was riding his balance bike (stridor) and everyone thought it was so cool. He is so proud of coasting and ringing his bell.

niccig
10-13-2008, 01:14 PM
We love our balance bike too. DS has been riding it for 1 year, and he'll get a bike with pedals and NO training wheels for Christmas. He glides for 30-40 ft easily. He'll be 4 at Christmas. I expect DS may ride both bikes for a little bit, but swap over to the pedal bike exclusively after a couple of months.