PDA

View Full Version : Starting to sell on EBAY-advice, suggestions?

purpleeyes
10-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm thinking of selling some stuff on EBAY, (make a little cash before the holidays) but I have no idea how to get started! Can any experienced mamas point me in the right direction?

TIA!!

KrisM
10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Buy first to get a feedback above zero and to understand the process.

Then, at the top right there is a sell menu. Select this and it walks you through the form for selling.

Take good pictures. You can have them hosted at a place like photobucket and add them for free.

Write a good description.

Don't include too many seller terms. Don't put "not responsible after mailing. Insurance is the buyer's responsibility". Many buyers will not buy from you, as you ARE responsible and insurance protects you, the seller.

Use the shipping calculator - package up your items as they'll ship or know the weights of your packaging. Weigh it and enter the number in the calculator.

Don't add too much of a handling fee. This can cover packing supplies, but not ink, paper, etc. as those are costs of doing business, according to ebay.

Know that you'll need to upgrade paypal to a premium account to accept credit cards. You'll be charged fees by paypal on each item you sell.

Don't start auctions at a price you aren't willing to sell it at. If you only get 1 bidder this is their price!

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Good luck.

mom2binsd
10-14-2008, 01:25 AM
Hang out on the community boards on ebay like the Children's Clothing Boutique, lots of very good info and check out some the experienced sellers listings to see what works.

Keep your shipping charges very reasonable, and handling charges to a minimum if any, offer First Class shipping when you can and offer to ship to Canada, they are great buyers and it's not really more expensive to ship there, esp. kids clothing and the customs forms are easy.

Be brutally honest in your descriptions, esp for clothes, check for the tiniest stain or spot...the buyers are all about looking for refunds now or partial refunds...buyers can no longer receive negative feedback and it's had a huge (not good though) impact on ebay.

purpleeyes
10-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Thank you!!

mecawa
10-15-2008, 08:03 AM
What I learned is that it is best to block the buyers that don't fit the criteria for you auction immediately rather than leave it open to everyone. For example when you go to sell an item and you will only ship within the US or only accept PayPal you can make it so only people with PayPal or live in the US can bid on that auction. In the beginning I didn't do that, and it became such a hassle. Now, the less criteria you have the more likely you are to make a sale but if there is something that you really can't do like certain payment options then my advice would be to block it so you don't have a winner who contacts you and wants to send a check (I learned this the first week I sold on ebay,lol, even though I mentioned in the auction write up several times I could only accept Paypal). Besides that take good pics, and always be brutally honest and you'll do just fine. It's fun!!!

KrisM
10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
What I learned is that it is best to block the buyers that don't fit the criteria for you auction immediately rather than leave it open to everyone. For example when you go to sell an item and you will only ship within the US or only accept PayPal you can make it so only people with PayPal or live in the US can bid on that auction. In the beginning I didn't do that, and it became such a hassle. Now, the less criteria you have the more likely you are to make a sale but if there is something that you really can't do like certain payment options then my advice would be to block it so you don't have a winner who contacts you and wants to send a check (I learned this the first week I sold on ebay,lol, even though I mentioned in the auction write up several times I could only accept Paypal). Besides that take good pics, and always be brutally honest and you'll do just fine. It's fun!!!

As of sometime this month, only Paypal or cash on pickup will be accepted. You are no longer able to Money Orders or checks. Just an FYI.

But, yes, blocking groups of bidders is a good one. You can block those with -1 or lower feedback and some number of non-paying disputes, too.

ha98ed14
10-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Keep your shipping charges very reasonable, and handling charges to a minimum if any, offer First Class shipping when you can and offer to ship to Canada, they are great buyers and it's not really more expensive to ship there, esp. kids clothing and the customs forms are easy.

I just want to second this. I am not a seller at all, but I buy a lot on Etsy and Used Kids clothes. I really hate it when they jack up the shipping on an item with a really reasonable price. I feels deceptive to me, even tho it is there in plain sight. I dunno if I am alone (I doubt it) but I think it would be a better policy to price the item at the level you want/ will accept and then charge the actual cost of shipping.

I am also a huge fan of "Buy It Now" so if you are willing to make that an option in your auctions, it would attract a buyer like me... (I HATE waiting to know if I won and would rather just pay the extra and be done :)

daisy1234
10-15-2008, 11:24 AM
If you have any good toy type items or books you may want to consider Amazon...You will do better there. They are super user friendly. Yes you can do both and not get overwhelmed....just list your stuff on ebay first....then tackle amazon next for books and toys!!! Good luck!!!

KrisM
10-15-2008, 12:54 PM
If you have any good toy type items or books you may want to consider Amazon...You will do better there. They are super user friendly. Yes you can do both and not get overwhelmed....just list your stuff on ebay first....then tackle amazon next for books and toys!!! Good luck!!!

Good point. And, it's about a bazillion times easier to list on Amazon than on Ebay!