PDA

View Full Version : Rolling over and stomach sleeping

beansprout13
10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
DS2 (4.5 months) learned to roll over today from his back to stomach. Tonight, I went to check on him and found him sleeping on his stomach. I might add that I checked on him because he has now been asleep for almost 4 hours and I don't think I've EVER gotten a 4 hour clip out of him!

Anyway, is it now OK to let him sleep on his stomach? I vaguely remember my ped. saying that once he was able to roll over and was sleeping on his stomach to let him be. Is this right or am I making this up?

TIA!

Nooknookmom
10-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Both my girls were tummy sleepers once they could roll over. DD2 had severe reflux and it was acutally better for her b/c she woke up every 30-60 min when she slept on her back. She had sensory issues b/c of it as well & startled much less on her tummy.

I'm sure you already know to make sure there is nothing soft in the crib and that it is toy & blankie free. I still check on my 17 mo constantly when she is on her tummy, to make sure she is ok, force of habit I guess!

Tondi G
10-14-2008, 12:03 AM
I let my little guy sleep on his tummy. He had great neck strength and head control from quite early on. Once he could roll that way and decided he liked sleeping on his tummy I wasn't going to risk waking him up by trying to roll him back over and just finding him back on his tummy later. Just make sure there is nothing soft in there... just a thin blanket if he even needs one! Hope he keeps sleeping nicely for you!

sariana
10-14-2008, 01:11 AM
You're not making it up. If your DS has decided he wants to sleep on his stomach, there is nothing you can do about it anyway! Continue to put him down on his back, but don't worry about flipping him back if he rolls over.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-14-2008, 01:24 AM
You are correct! My DD slept on her side or back at 3 months or so. Don't worry!

MommyAllison
10-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Yep, nothing you can really do other than stay awake watching him all night to roll him back. ;) He is strong enough to roll so he should be strong enough to lift/turn his head if he needs to breathe better. Enjoy the extra sleep!

JBaxter
10-14-2008, 03:35 AM
All mine slept on their tummies from about 6 or 8 weeks old. Its the ONLY way I could get 3+ hrs out of them.

maestramommy
10-14-2008, 07:27 AM
Yup, totally fine! Congratulations! This was always a new chapter in better sleep for my kiddos!

ahrimie
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
yayy!!! congrats on the extra sleep!

my dd started that at 3 months and i just leave her... i tried flipping her back a few times, but she would just flip back anyway.