PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious: Does Anyone Paint Their Fingernails Anymore?

randomkid
10-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Other than a French manicure, that is. In the 80s (dating myself, here), I used to keep my fingernails painted with color most all the time. I now work in a hospital setting (and have worked for this hospital in various settings for 18+ years) where only natural nail polish and short fingernails are allowed.

My nails grow fast, so they are usually a nice length despite the dresscode, but I never paint them. If we are going out for a special occasion, I'll get a French manicure, but I was just curious if painting with color is totally out right now or do people still do it? I am so totally out of touch on this element of fashion. For that matter, I'm not even sure if French manicures are still in, but my 15 yo stepdaughter wanted one last year when she was going to a dance because all her friends were getting them. So, I figure I'm still safe with those - lol!

jgenie
10-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes, people still polish their nails. I polish my own nails - I'm picky about how they're cut - I've been doing them so long that I've gotten very good. I love OPI polish in reds and dark pinks. With a 9 month old I don't get to do them very often though. I need to work on that.

kep
10-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Nope, I just don't have the time. Well, I have the time to paint them, but I never seem to have the time to remove the chipped polish. Therefore, I avoid painting them to keep from looking unkept for weeks. :D

kboyle
10-14-2008, 09:16 AM
i do :) most of the time they are unpainted since i'm a nailbiter, but i'll try to cut them short & paint them to avoid biting.

and i'll get mani/pedi when i have to go to weddings or stuff like that.

gatorsmom
10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I never polish my nails. They chip so easily and that drives me nuts till I can get the polish off so I just don't polish them. Once in a great while, DH will get me a gift cert for a manicure and then I get a french manicure (love how those look). But I don't often get gift certs for manicures because DH knows I don't like my nails polished.

I do, however, try to keep my toenails polished all the time. It's ok if the polish chips, I can just give em a little touch up (no body can really see if the polish istn' perfect). I figure it's the one little thing I can do to make my feet look nice!

kijip
10-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Never have. Don't now. The few times I was talked into a color by a person at the spa, I regretted it. Long colored nails look gaudy on my hands. I have seen them look fine on other people though.

lovin2shop
10-14-2008, 11:10 AM
As far as what is in style right now, I think that it is either very light colors or very dark colors. The natural sheer pinks are a good choice (especially because they don't show chips as much), but for fall you can do the dark vampy colors if you are comfortable being a bit edgy. A French manicure is classic and never goes out of style in my book. Same with red on the toes, and I wear the two combined regularly.

la mama
10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I haven't painted my fingernails since my wedding and before that, it wasn't since middle school when I had a different color on each nail. It makes my nails feel heavier, I know that sounds weird, and I always seem to ruin my work right after I've done it. I do try to keep my toenails painted, in the summer at least. Like one pp said, it's easier to hide chips/smudges when they're on my toes. I'd like to be able to pull off the really dark nails that are in style but my clothes are right.

citymama
10-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Nope, but then again I never have!

lizajane
10-14-2008, 11:38 AM
no, because 1) they chip SO FAST when you wash your hands as much as moms do 2) they look weird to me with color 3) i tend to pick the polish off as a nervous habit and 4) it makes me feel like my nails can't breath. like the are suffocating. i know. i am totally on crack. but they do.

cellenly
10-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I personally don't, but I suspect a lot of people in my area do since there's a nail place in every other shopping strip center and none of those places seem like they're going out of business. This may be a regional thing though.

trentsmom
10-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Before DS, my fingernails were almost always painted. But now my hands are in water so much, I don't even bother. I do keep my toenails painted since they rarely chip, and it's easy to touch up any spots since no one is close enough to my feet to see what I've done!

caleymama
10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
As far as what is in style right now, I think that it is either very light colors or very dark colors. The natural sheer pinks are a good choice (especially because they don't show chips as much), but for fall you can do the dark vampy colors if you are comfortable being a bit edgy. A French manicure is classic and never goes out of style in my book. Same with red on the toes, and I wear the two combined regularly.

I agree. That said, I usually only have polish on my toenails because I ruin manicures so fast that it's just not worth it. I tend to keep my nails quite short but will splurge on the very occasional French Manicure.

crayonblue
10-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Only my toenails and only in the summer!

MartiesMom2B
10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Hardly ever but that's because I'm a nail biter. I should though, because when they are painted tohe do grow out long.

srhs
10-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I keep clear Nail Envy on my fingernails. It keeps them strong.
I rarely put color on my fingernails for two reasons:
1. It lasts about 5 seconds on my natural nails before it starts chipping/peeling. If it lasts longer, the first hairwashing will destroy it.
2. I can't help but feel "dated" with it on. I don't know why.

I keep my toes polished or french the best I can and have even been known to regularly sport the cheesy "designs" on my toes. :shy:

shelikesmorningglories
10-14-2008, 06:02 PM
I think it depends on where you live.I find people in the South care more about appearances than people in the North...

s7714
10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I rarely polish my nails these days, but once in a while I'll get the urge. I'm far more likely to polish my toenails vs. my fingers though. I love the look of a french manicure, but just don't have time to do it myself nor do I want to devote the time to getting one done in a salon.

There are a LOT of women in my area that still polish their nails constantly or are always having them done but I have noticed there are fewer with bold colors, decorations or mile long claws.

kijip
10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
4) it makes me feel like my nails can't breath. like the are suffocating. i know. i am totally on crack. but they do. There's a new reason!

trales
10-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Mine are a dark wine colour, I paint them once a week. I enjoy doing it and the way it looks. My toes match.

MelissaTC
10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
I tend to keep my toes done. Once in awhile I will do my nails. I tend to stick to French manicures though.

Nooknookmom
10-14-2008, 07:01 PM
My toes are always done since I live in flip flops but my nails, rarely. Not b/c I don't want them done, it just falls off with all the dishwashing I do. I have really long nails and I miss having them painted!

My thing in high school (80's, I'll date myself too!) was bright red, hot pink or black on my super long nails. I was a metal-head though, so it went with my attire, lol!

randomkid
10-14-2008, 08:23 PM
2. I can't help but feel "dated" with it on. I don't know why.

Me, too. Hence the reason I asked this question. However, I didn't know if I felt that way because it really is dated or because I just haven't worn color in sooooo long.

jent
10-14-2008, 08:41 PM
3) i tend to pick the polish off as a nervous habit and 4) it makes me feel like my nails can't breath. like the are suffocating. i know. i am totally on crack. but they do.

Wow, I thought I was the only one!

Jen

lisams
10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Haven't painted my finger nails in years. They always chipped within a day. Now my toes almost always have polish on, even in the winter.

geochick
10-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I think it depends on where you live.I find people in the South care more about appearances than people in the North...

Is that why the majority of the heaviest/fattest states are in the south?

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/02/fattest-states-2008/

ahrimie
10-14-2008, 10:53 PM
I agree. That said, I usually only have polish on my toenails because I ruin manicures so fast that it's just not worth it. I tend to keep my nails quite short...

me too! i rarely paint my fingernails... i like to just keep them short and natural bc i play the violin and piano. plus, with all the housework, i hate how they chip.

but i'll get pedicures or paint them myself every now and then. if i get a manicure, i like getting them buffed though :) currently, i'm sporting dark blue on my toes.. never tried anything so dark but i think i like it.

mommyp
10-14-2008, 11:01 PM
That said, I usually only have polish on my toenails because I ruin manicures so fast that it's just not worth it. I tend to keep my nails quite short but will splurge on the very occasional French Manicure.

Me too. I had a French manicure for my wedding and haven't had one since. But I like how my toes look with nail polish, so I occasionally have a pedicure or do them myself.

MamaMolly
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I can't stand to have anyone file my fingernails. I'm pretty much phobic about it. Plus color, any color, looks tacky on my hands. I really like painted fingernails on other people, but not on myself. And I totally get that your hands feel heavier thing. I read it and it made sense to me! :)

I keep my toe nails painted. For a while there I was trying to keep it up myself but I let it slip and I get so embarrassed when my feet look bad! So I get a pedi about once a month. If i get crummy polish (think Revlon instead of OPI) it chips faster so I'd get it done twice a month. Can't afford more than that! In high school and college I had a nervous habit of picking at my toenails until they were bleeding, so letting the nails grow out long enough to get a pedicure was a tremendous act of will power. Pedicures are very good for my sense of well being. Trying to cut them out of the budget was a mistake. False economy!

My DH was a cop for years before he changed jobs and he has a very strict rule about nail colors: no blues, purples, greens or yellows. He said he has looked at way too many dead bodies and colors like that give him the worst heebie jeebies so I'm happy to comply. He calls it his 'no dead toes' rule. Yet another weird factoid about my family! :rolleye0014:

Asianmommy
10-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Only my toes in summer. It's too much work for me to maintain a manicure.

bubbaray
10-15-2008, 10:23 AM
My toes are never naked. My nails are painted about 50% of the time. Usually with OPI's latest, lightest color. Princesses Rule, Hollywood Blonde, those sorts of colors -- frost/metallics in light colors that don't show chips.

The only people I know with French Manicures have fake/gel nails.

mamicka
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
it makes me feel like my nails can't breath. like the are suffocating. i know. i am totally on crack. but they do.

I thought it was only me. Having color on my nails just isn't comfortable to me, either.

I get pedicures a couple times a year. I can't remember the last time I saw someone with color on their nails.

pantrygirl
10-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Nope, I just don't have the time. Well, I have the time to paint them, but I never seem to have the time to remove the chipped polish. Therefore, I avoid painting them to keep from looking unkept for weeks. :D

ditto. the last time I painted my fingers and toes was two days before I delivered.

kijip
10-15-2008, 12:32 PM
ditto. the last time I painted my fingers and toes was two days before I delivered.

:bowdown: for being able to reach your toes 2 days before baby arrives. ;)

kijip
10-15-2008, 12:34 PM
I thought it was only me. Having color on my nails just isn't comfortable to me, either.

I get pedicures a couple times a year. I can't remember the last time I saw someone with color on their nails.

I think that color looks out of place on me and you used just the right word- it is just not comfortable. It does feel weird. And sticky for some reason, even when totally dry.

dhano923
10-17-2008, 12:54 AM
I get a pedicure every 3 weeks. It's one of my splurges and gives me a little me time. Plus I live in SoCal and wear open toe shoes every day so I like my toes to look nice. My toes look odd to me without polish! I tend to do brighter colors in summer, and deep, dark colors in fall/winter. Most of the time I also get little flowers on the big toes too, complete with tiny rhinestones and sparkle accents. That's normal around here in LaLaLand. :)

For fingers, I always have some sort of polish on them because I think they look more professional. I tend to do nude/tan type colors. That way, when they chip, you can't really tell. I use OPI polish and with a good base, 2 coats of polish and a top coat, it doesn't chip for several days, even with handwashing, dishwashing, and hair washing. If I don't put color, I will file and put clear polish. My nails aren't super short -- they are slightly over my nailbed and "sqoval". :)

Emmas Mom
10-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Last time my nails were painted was at my wedding. They just aren't practical for me with kids. I do love pedicures though. Most of the time I do it myself & use cute little stickers on top of them with a clear coat over it. Both our DD's think it's fun too so I'll do theirs once in awhile also.