PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...too many catalogs/donation requests

niccig
10-14-2008, 12:24 PM
This is partly a vent, and a question.

We get too many catalogs - if I call and tell them to take us off their mailing list, will it work.

I donate to some charities, but then for the rest of the year I'll get multiple requests for more money. I've given my max. I end up throwing all these requests out, and it's a waste of paper. Can I call and ask them not to send - yes, I know it's a charity, but I've already given and won't give again until next year.

A magazine subscription is renewed and then several times in the next year I'll get letters saying "in a few months your subscription will expire, renew now", it won't expire for 10 months. I hate getting these. Anything I can do?

I bought a couple of camping supplies online. Now I'm getting free copies of "Field and Stream"...I am not a hunter, so I don't want a magazine about the best hunting rifles..

Any suggestions to cut down on all of this?

Thanks

WatchingThemGrow
10-14-2008, 01:17 PM
I will stop catalogs by making a pile and sitting down one night to call all the companies. Waste of time, but I enjoy getting only 1-3 pieces of mail. I think we're due for another round. Also, when ordering from companies, I ask them to take me off the catalog list.

Not sure about the non-profits. Seems like they'd like to cut back their throw-away mail. Maybe you can call and say exactly what you wrote about giving again next year. I need to do that one.

mommylamb
10-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I haven't used this, but this is suppposedly a free service that takes you off all the catalog mailing lists other than the ones you opt into. Could help.
http://www.catalogchoice.org/

erv917
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I have used catalogchoice.com with great success. There's a handful that I requested to stop that I still receive, but for the most part it worked. MUCH quicker and easier than calling each company individually. HTH.

erv917
10-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Oops, sorry, the PP was right-it is catalogchoice.org, not .com!

mamaoftwins
10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
I haven't used this, but this is suppposedly a free service that takes you off all the catalog mailing lists other than the ones you opt into. Could help.
http://www.catalogchoice.org/

I have used this and it works! I used to call/email companies myself, but I felt like I got more catalogs after I did that! Much less now that I use catalog choice.

niccig
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Q. about catalog choice. I looked at it, and either you say no to all or opt in - there's so many to go through and say no to. You can just say "no to all" and then later add in the ones you want - I wanted to keep getting my BBB and Childrens Place coupons.
Thanks.

kijip
10-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I donate to some charities, but then for the rest of the year I'll get multiple requests for more money. I've given my max. I end up throwing all these requests out, and it's a waste of paper. Can I call and ask them not to send - yes, I know it's a charity, but I've already given and won't give again until next year.

For the magazines and catalogs, I think there is a national opt opt type thing? I don't know.

For the charity question, the charity should be able to mark your record to receive only x number of solicits per year, at your determined month. Or to just not solicit you at all. If they can't do that, they are not paying enough mind to their donors.

niccig
10-14-2008, 06:32 PM
For the charity question, the charity should be able to mark your record to receive only x number of solicits per year, at your determined month. Or to just not solicit you at all. If they can't do that, they are not paying enough mind to their donors.

Thanks Katie. I agree to support these charities, but it's wasteful to keep sending me requests, when I'm not going to donate again until next year. I'll call them and ask to not get so many, so more money for other things.

kijip
10-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Katie. I agree to support these charities, but it's wasteful to keep sending me requests, when I'm not going to donate again until next year. I'll call them and ask to not get so many, so more money for other things.

If there places you plan to give to, I would consider asking them to mark down a pledge for you and the month you intend to give it and to not solicit you for any other campaign. It drives me bonkers to get extra solicits from places too. Once I made it a pledge, that always seems to get them out of my hair.

niccig
10-14-2008, 07:08 PM
If there places you plan to give to, I would consider asking them to mark down a pledge for you and the month you intend to give it and to not solicit you for any other campaign. It drives me bonkers to get extra solicits from places too. Once I made it a pledge, that always seems to get them out of my hair.

Good advice. I'll do that.

KBecks
10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I think it does work, unless you order again from the store, then you will go back on the mailing list.

I have been trying to be brutal about deciding right away if I'm going to donate, but it's hard.

jent
10-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Calling the companies takes time but (usually works).

The extra mail from charities drives us crazy! And we give to environmental charities too, you'd think they'd know better.

DH actually gave extra money away before he realized we were getting these things every 4 months or so.