PDA

View Full Version : What is that Foamy stuff made out of?

MamaMolly
10-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I've always thought the craft foam (and the thinker stuff too) smells funny and was wondering if anybody knows what it is made out of?

DD loves a new book that is made of it and wants to sleep with it. I'm also a little worried shell nibble on it since it is nice and squishy.

Does it out-gas? Do you mind your kids playing with it? What the heck is it, anyway?

TIA

JTsMom
10-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I have no idea, but it does smell awful! I bought some foam letter stickers for Jason, and when I opened the box, the smell about knocked me over! I took them back, and I've avoided it since. I'm anxious to see if anyone knows more about it.

ThreeofUs
10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I hesitate to post on this, but as a former research chemist, I can say that there are a few things it could be.

-Many foams outgas formaldehyde, styrenes, and other "plasticizers" (compounds that make the foams flexible). Many people notice this when their new car windows get a film on the inside, but it happens all the time with other things made out of foam as well.

-Foams also often contain a fire retardant called PDBE (called a brominated ether, if that makes any difference to you), whose outgas smells like rotten eggs mixed with liquid plastic - really foul.

The carcinogenic properties of these compounds are arguable. Some say "stay away at all costs", some say "not a real problem." Personally, I'm risk averse, so I try to keep myself and my family from too much exposure.

The smell should be gone after 3 weeks or so. If not, I wouldn't use.

JTsMom
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Rotten eggs and liquid plastic sounds pretty accurate to me! Nasty, nasty smell! :sick:

MamaMolly
10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I hesitate to post on this, .

Do you mind me asking why you hesitate? Your response is just the kind of informed help I was hoping for. I don't have the science background to make heads or tails of the technical information out there, so I was posting on the BBB hoping that another mom (or dad!) could explain what they thought, and I'd make my decisions based on all the information.

I've learned so much about what goes into plastic and vinyl toys from parents on this board. I'm all about informed risk, and deeply appreciate your and other responses!

Keep it coming!

brittone2
10-15-2008, 08:20 PM
I hesitate to post on this, but as a former research chemist, I can say that there are a few things it could be.

-Many foams outgas formaldehyde, styrenes, and other "plasticizers" (compounds that make the foams flexible). Many people notice this when their new car windows get a film on the inside, but it happens all the time with other things made out of foam as well.

-Foams also often contain a fire retardant called PDBE (called a brominated ether, if that makes any difference to you), whose outgas smells like rotten eggs mixed with liquid plastic - really foul.

The carcinogenic properties of these compounds are arguable. Some say "stay away at all costs", some say "not a real problem." Personally, I'm risk averse, so I try to keep myself and my family from too much exposure.

The smell should be gone after 3 weeks or so. If not, I wouldn't
use.

Yeah that to the above. PBDEs are not great (and IMO have been somewhat spun/covered up here in the US...there were recent ethics/conflicts of interest issues over this at the EPA, FWIW).

We have a natural latex mattress which is foam, but without the PBDEs, etc.

FWIW, my DH is a chemist.

bubbaray
10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't know and I don't wanna know....

la la la I can't hear you....