PDA

View Full Version : Would You Go To The Ped For This?

randomkid
10-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Called the nurse, but got the one who always says "You'll have to bring her in" even when I just call with a question - :32: DD started with a sore throat over the weekend, temp of 100 on Monday. By Tues, cough, congestion sore throat, no fever. Yesterday, she spiked fevers of 100 and last night 101.3. My concern is bronchitis since the fevers are spiking higher, but right now she is 98.2. Between fevers, she comes down to normal. Throat is red, tonsils swollen and she is just coughing and coughing.

Would you wait another day or go today? It's been 6 days since first symptoms and 4 days since first elevated temp.

Thanks

caleymama
10-16-2008, 09:11 AM
I would go have her seen with the expectation that it's something that will have to run its course. Not that I'm saying it is, but just that I would have that in my mind, since almost every time I take mine in and think it's something it's nothing that can be treated and every time I think it's no big deal it's something that needs to be treated! I'm pretty much in the watch and wait camp and I think you've been watching and waiting and it wouldn't hurt to have her seen.

JTsMom
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Does she seem really miserable, or is she acting mostly normal? I'd probably base my deciscion on that.

randomkid
10-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Does she seem really miserable, or is she acting mostly normal? I'd probably base my deciscion on that.

See...that's the thing. She's acting mostly normal. DH wants me to take her because just a week ago she had sinusitis and had high fevers for 5 days. He thinks in light of that, we should go. I say this is something completely different and it will run it's course. I guess the only thing I might get out of this is discussing with the ped when they consider tonsillectomy.

o_mom
10-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I might be concerned about strep, but I don't think waiting another day would be unreasonable. If it is still going on tomorrow I would probably go in because the weekend is coming.

hillview
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
:yeahthat:

nov04
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
I always go with what our ped's receptionist says.

If I'm ever questioning going on a particular day, I ask myself if I'm worried about getting through the whole night. I usually err on the side of caution. Nights seem to be a whole other can of worms!

GL, hope DD feels better soon.

lorinick
10-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I would go in. She has had a fever on and off for three days. And is coughing alot. Something is going on. I just a friend who's son was fine all of a sudden came down with Phemonia. Spent five days in the hosp. on breathing treatments. This is a perfectly health. I thought it was scary. Since she just was sick she maybe compermized and unable to fight this off as well.

JMS
10-16-2008, 09:32 AM
It's always hard when these things crop up at the end of the week. If it were earlier (Mon or Tues), I'd probably say to give it another day. But I always worry later in the week that if the illness progresses, I have to hope my Dr has weekend hours, otherwise I'd be forced to go to the on-call ped, or urgent care. I hate being in that position, so I'd probably err on the side of caution and go in today. GL.

mecawa
10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I would take her in. It's probably just a virus, but where the symptoms have been going on for 6 days and the fever has been for 4 I would take her, it will probably make you feel better too to have her seen.

egoldber
10-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I would take her. I would be worried about strep or a secondary infection with the fever spike. But I'm a little paranoid because Sarah had pneumonia once and I had no idea!!

mommylamb
10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't consider it a fever unless it's above 101.4. But if you're at all concerned, why not take her? So you lose out on the co-pay money. It's worth the peace of mind.

drcap
10-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I would go.

randomkid
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Well, we went. Ugh - someday, I will listen to my instincts. She is fine. I called my Mom for another opinion and she felt the same as DH. Because of her recent illness, she should go. I'm the one in the room with her and I should have just not called anyone and waited one more day. By the time we got there, she was playing, talking, acting just FINE. No fever, either...of course.

They did a rapid strep, which was negative, ears are fine, lungs are clear. It's just a virus. Right now, she's wanting to play dentist and she's running around the house playing. She's talking with this cute little hoarse voice, but otherwise, she seems fine. Not coughing as much today, either.

BTW, I didn't know this, but peds cannot prescribe any decongestant or cough medicine for children under 4. Maybe it's just a recommendation - I didn't have time to read the whole notice in the waiting room before we were called back. But, what ped is not going to follow that recommendation, whether it's from the FDA or AAP, and risk getting sued? They said we can use Claritin at night. Yeah, right...I'm using what works and know I'm dosing her safely. I know you can still buy Children's decongestants and they say ages 2-6. At least DD will be 4 soon and we can get recommendations that work. Fortunately, we still have a prescription cough medicine that she was given last year. I've been using that at night, or none of us would be getting any sleep!

kellij
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I'd go. Our co-pay is only $10 though. I always think that the $10 is worth my piece of mind, just so I won't have to worry that it's something more serious. I'd have her checked out with the red throat and fever. I'd be worried about strep. Also, my son used to always get ear infections, which I wouldn't have known about if I didn't take him in.

All that being said, we went in last week for a fever that wouldn't go away and it was just a virus.

elephantmeg
10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I would and I'm very anti taking my kids to the pedi every time they sneeze (unlike my SIL). IME symptoms getting better and then worse again usually indicates a secondary bacterial infection.

AngelaS
10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't have. If they're acting normal and the fever comes down w/meds, we stay home. :)

randomkid
10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't have. If they're acting normal and the fever comes down w/meds, we stay home. :)

Yep..should've stayed home. Our co-pay is $25, so not really worth the trip to me today, but maybe DH will feel better. He's staying home with her this pm so I can go into work.

elephantmeg
10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I hate it when that happens! I'm always frustrated when I take them and I pay $25 to be told it's a virus. Argh! So far I'm at 3 and 2. 3 visits where there was a problem and 2 where there wasn't. Not a great track reccord for a peds nurse! However if I went as often as my MIL thinks I should I would be at 8 visits without a problem! I'm glad she's better

lorinick
10-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, we went. Ugh - someday, I will listen to my instincts. She is fine. I called my Mom for another opinion and she felt the same as DH. Because of her recent illness, she should go. I'm the one in the room with her and I should have just not called anyone and waited one more day. By the time we got there, she was playing, talking, acting just FINE. No fever, either...of course.

They did a rapid strep, which was negative, ears are fine, lungs are clear. It's just a virus. Right now, she's wanting to play dentist and she's running around the house playing. She's talking with this cute little hoarse voice, but otherwise, she seems fine. Not coughing as much today, either.

BTW, I didn't know this, but peds cannot prescribe any decongestant or cough medicine for children under 4. Maybe it's just a recommendation - I didn't have time to read the whole notice in the waiting room before we were called back. But, what ped is not going to follow that recommendation, whether it's from the FDA or AAP, and risk getting sued? They said we can use Claritin at night. Yeah, right...I'm using what works and know I'm dosing her safely. I know you can still buy Children's decongestants and they say ages 2-6. At least DD will be 4 soon and we can get recommendations that work. Fortunately, we still have a prescription cough medicine that she was given last year. I've been using that at night, or none of us would be getting any sleep!

That's good she fine. But you never know. My guy runs around the whole office. And when they listen to him breath they can't believe it. He sounds bad. But he has atsma. So it's a little different.

maestramommy
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM

I remember less than 2 weeks ago when I called the ped's office about the girls. They had the gross running nose, and were so stuffed up. In fact Dora's was so stuffed she couldn't blow her nose. The nurse told me they couldn't recommend any OTC medications, only vaporizer, Vicks vapor rub, plenty of fluids, etc. I had just read the article on the possible removal/recall on children's cold meds a few days before, and I was amazed they were acting on it so quickly. Or maybe my ped's office has had this policy for a while. My old ped always said I could give the kids Benadryl to dry them out.