PDA

View Full Version : IKEA or other low chemical mattresses

o_mom
10-16-2008, 02:04 PM
We are finally going to bite the bullet and move DS1 to a "big boy bed" - he's 5 and still in a toddler bed, lol. He is not actually the problem, but DS2 needs to get out of the crib before he breaks it climbing in and out.

Anyway... anyone know the scoop on IKEA flame retardants vs. other places?

I know they don't brominated FRs and a few other things, but what do they use and should I be concerned?

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70109577

as it seemed to have the most natural materials in it, but I'll have to actually lay on it to see the comfort (it's 2 hrs away).

Any others (IKEA or not) I should look at?

brittone2
10-16-2008, 06:22 PM
It depends on your budget. When I was pg, we upgraded to a King and went with a 100% natural latex mattress from Savvy Rest (because we can buy locally and were able to try some mattresses out). The price wasn't unreasonable, but it wasn't inexpensive.

We bought a twin for DD's room (she's still cosleeping but we have a bed set up for her) a few months ago. I went with the one from Ikea that is 85% natural latex. I figured between the fact that they are fairly careful with flame retardants, and the fact that it was 85% natural latex, it wasn't too bad for the price.

o_mom
10-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Budget is part of the issue. :)
Backstory is that I didn't want to go with Twin beds because I think long term they/we will want full-size. Dh won this round, though, since DS1 and DS2 are sharing a room and it is not shaped well for a bigger bed and realistically we can get 10+ years of use out of a couple twins before any of them are big enough to really use a full. Finding solid wood bunkbeds on CL for $130 kind of sealed it (we aren't going to bunk them until much older, if ever).

I looked at the solid latex one, but the spring one with a latex top is about $200 cheaper. It does have some synthetic material, though (PLA) where the all latex one has silk instead.

Not being able to try them out is the other part - I have not found a local dealer of anything beyond the big "S" makers.