PDA

View Full Version : How to get strong detergent smell out of clothing?

HIU8
10-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I let DNiece wear some of DD's clothes when she comes over b/c she either needs a bath and her clothes stink (from preschool), or she comes over filthy from home (I won't let her sit on my couch in her dirty clothes). Anyway, my sister washed 3 items and brought them back to me. They STINK. Whatever detergent she used smells obnoxious to me (almost sickening). DD has excema so I can't let her wear the clothes until I rewash (I know she did not use a free and clear detergent b/c I do and my clothes don't have that sickening detergent smell (sorry, I a really sensitive to smells, so while others might think the clothes smell fine, the scent actually makes me nautious and DD will have a reaction). I have rewashed once and they still have a strong odor. How many washes will it take to get the smell out? Is there aything else I can do? I feel horrible washing these items so much when DD hasn't even had them on her back yet.

Note to self: Have my sister supply me with DNieces clothes. I cannot lend her DD's clothes anylonger unless she doesn't wear them home.

o_mom
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Try putting vinegar in the rinse cycle to help get any detergent residue out.

ThreeofUs
10-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Second on the vinegar, but I'd just do a wash with white vinegar substituted for the detergent. That is, a major rinse where the wash is in vinegar water, and even the vinegar is rinsed out by the end of the cycle.

lisams
10-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Second on the vinegar, but I'd just do a wash with white vinegar substituted for the detergent. That is, a major rinse where the wash is in vinegar water, and even the vinegar is rinsed out by the end of the cycle.

This is what I'd do also. It may take a few washes (not the rinse cycle, but the actual wash cycle) with vinegar to get the detergent build up off.

JBaxter
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Also try a squirt of Dawn ( blue) dish soap then add vinegar to the rinse. Dawn is what I use to strip my cloth diapers and will also get the donut greese smell out of my sons clothes ( from his part time job).

CAM7
10-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Yep, vinegar and Dawn should do the trick. Try washing a few times.

You may want to hang dry the clothes though til the smell is washed out? Sometimes a dryer will heat so much it 'seals' in stains and smells.