PDA

View Full Version : Sold 1st ebay item, seller never paid..? WWYD

SammyeGail
10-16-2008, 08:13 PM
So I finally listed my first item, the winning bidder had great buying feedback. I sent her an invoice as soon as the item ended. In my listing I stated that payment was due within 48 hours of auction end and would be shipped the next day.

I have written her and gotten nothing back. The 48 hours are up. Ebay Live help suggested I call her (gave me a way to get her #) but I feel very awkward doing that. I wrote the second highest bidder (second chance thing) asking if she was still interested.

WWYD? This is totally new to me. I don't want to file a disbute, just get my money, the second highest bid was only .50 less. Can the highest bidder do anything to me if I write her again telling her I assume she is not paying for the item, therefore I am offering it to another bidder?

Thanks for any advice,

Samantha

WatchingThemGrow
10-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd likely wait until tomorrow then call. Since you've already written to the 2nd highest bidder, you might want to wait to see what they say.

Do you think they are having buyer's remorse?

mecawa
10-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I would wait it out a day or two. Sometimes I think people just forget. I have sold things on Ebay before and have had the same thing happen and then have the person pay for it and apologize that they just forgot. Did you send her an invoice, I've found that that works, especially if it's someone with excellent feedback. If you wait and then she still doesn't respond then I wouldn't hesitate to file a dispute, I've had to do it before, but the people I had to file against had no feedback. Good Luck!

KrisM
10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
You can't file a dispute until day 8. If you sell it to someone else and she pays on day 7, she can report you as a non-performing seller. She can leave you negative feedback, but you can not leave her negative.

If I were you, I'd send another invoice on day 3 and give her the full 7 days to pay. If she doesn't go ahead and file and wait it out. You don't want to start your selling feedback with a negative.

mom2binsd
10-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I've noticed lately that people have been bidding on similar items and then only paying for the one that is cheapest (esp. with Halloween costumes)...you can look up their bidding history and see what else they are bidding and buying...sometimes that will tell you a lot...you have to go under advanced search, plug in their id and then chose the options that will show the items they've bid on and items they've won....

mamaoftwins
10-16-2008, 09:55 PM
You can't file a dispute until day 8. If you sell it to someone else and she pays on day 7, she can report you as a non-performing seller. She can leave you negative feedback, but you can not leave her negative.

If I were you, I'd send another invoice on day 3 and give her the full 7 days to pay. If she doesn't go ahead and file and wait it out. You don't want to start your selling feedback with a negative.

Kris is right. If she doesn't pay by Day 8, you can put an "Unpaid Item" through Ebay's "Dispute console". Ebay will send her a message telling her to pay. If she does not respond or pay within 7 days AFTER you file the dispute, you can close the dispute and get your "final value fee" back from ebay. You can then sell the item to the second highest bidder or relist it. **Don't sell to someone else before filing the dispute, b/c as Kris said, the original non-payer can leave you negative feedback if she decides to pay before the 7 day dispute end. So, you just have to wait it out. Ugh, I know this is such a pain (can you tell that this has happened to me before???). IME, if I put "please pay within X days" in my listing, people rarely pay within those days.

strollerqueen
10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Really? I had a girl pay me on Friday, and file a dispute against me on Sunday!
(I was out of town for the week-end, and sent her her item on Monday.) I was never even notified that she filed a dispute, just happened to see it in my Paypal. So, she clearly didn't wait seven days. Wonder how she was able to do that.

mamaoftwins
10-16-2008, 11:05 PM
(I was out of town for the week-end, and sent her her item on Monday.) I was never even notified that she filed a dispute, just happened to see it in my Paypal. So, she clearly didn't wait seven days. Wonder how she was able to do that.

Whoa - that's weird! I do know that disputing in Paypal is different than disputing in ebay, and disputes from buyer against seller and seller against buyer are different, and require different actions. I don't know the rules for the buyer to seller dispute that you experienced! How odd! I hope you got that worked out!

KrisM
10-16-2008, 11:06 PM

What kind of dispute? A Seller can file after 7 days for non-payment. I don't know of a time frame for a buyer to file an item not received. I'm guessing she's claiming you didn't send.

KrisM
10-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I've noticed lately that people have been bidding on similar items and then only paying for the one that is cheapest (esp. with Halloween costumes)...you can look up their bidding history and see what else they are bidding and buying...sometimes that will tell you a lot...you have to go under advanced search, plug in their id and then chose the options that will show the items they've bid on and items they've won....

You can only look at completeds, not current bidding, due to buyer masking.

SammyeGail
10-16-2008, 11:38 PM
AAARRRGGG!!!!! It was some gerber pacifiers, I looked her up and low and behold, she won 2 sets. I am so MAD!!! I still have 30 minutes to wait for live chat, another aarrgg, what can be done to her!?!

Samantha

strollerqueen
10-17-2008, 03:16 AM
What kind of dispute? A Seller can file after 7 days for non-payment. I don't know of a time frame for a buyer to file an item not received. I'm guessing she's claiming you didn't send.

Yes, she is claiming item not received. I always thought you had to wait 7 days. Maybe it is something they changed.

KrisM
10-17-2008, 07:10 AM
AAARRRGGG!!!!! It was some gerber pacifiers, I looked her up and low and behold, she won 2 sets. I am so MAD!!! I still have 30 minutes to wait for live chat, another aarrgg, what can be done to her!?!

Samantha

The only thing is to wait it out, file the dispute and give her a non-payment strike.

Sorry.

KrisM
10-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Yes, she is claiming item not received. I always thought you had to wait 7 days. Maybe it is something they changed.

I don't think there is a wait, but I've never filed one or had one filed. Has anything happened? Has your item arrived to her? If you can show PayPal that it arrived, you're fine.

mdb78
10-17-2008, 09:52 AM

A buyer has up to 30 days to file a dispute if item is not received.

She paid on Friday and then filed a dispute on monday? That's just crazy.

KrisM
10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
A buyer has up to 30 days to file a dispute if item is not received.

She paid on Friday and then filed a dispute on monday? That's just crazy.

Only 30 days? I would have guessed longer, since the Federal law says a seller has to ship within 30 days. I suppose Paypal says 7 days from payment, but for media mail or even parcel post, 30 days could be cutting it close! Good thing I never ship MM or PP :). Good to know the limit is 30.

SammyeGail
10-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I wrote the bidder and told her to just forget about it. She bid and won 2 of the same items, but only paid for the other. 2 can play at that game.

I can file a non-paying bidder dispute 7 days after the auction has ended, which will be Tue PM, I plan to file the dispute Wed. Ebay contacts the winner requesting payment. AFTER the 7 days and I've filed a dispute, she cannot leave negative feedback to me. I beleive she has 8 days to pay, then I get my origional ebay fees refunded and get to relist for free.

She will get a non-paying bidder strike on her record. It will not show up on her feedback, but I understand it will show up to sellers when she bids on something else.

FYI, I've bid and won 2 of the same items once. I did the right thing and paid for them both, resold the other at a consignment sale.

These pacis are hard to find since gerber doesn't make them anymore. I can see people double bidding on halloween constumes, but pacifiers?

Thanks!

Samantha

kijip
10-18-2008, 11:45 AM
These pacis are hard to find since gerber doesn't make them anymore. I can see people double bidding on halloween constumes, but pacifiers?

Honestly, the first thing that occurred to me is that she is just buying a lot of pacifiers. I would not be all that surprised if she pays today or Monday/Tuesday and then pings you with a negative feedback...she has a few days to avoid the non-paying bidder report. It is simply possible she forgot about it. And your email will be a reminder. Because I can't file a report for 7 days, I usually give 7 days to pay (on the rare occasions my husband or I sell on eBay).

KrisM
10-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I can file a non-paying bidder dispute 7 days after the auction has ended, which will be Tue PM, I plan to file the dispute Wed. Ebay contacts the winner requesting payment. AFTER the 7 days and I've filed a dispute, she cannot leave negative feedback to me. I beleive she has 8 days to pay, then I get my origional ebay fees refunded and get to relist for free.

She will get a non-paying bidder strike on her record. It will not show up on her feedback, but I understand it will show up to sellers when she bids on something else.

Samantha

If she responds to the dispute, she can leave you a negative. If she does NOT respond, she can not.

If she wants out and you're fine, you could consider a mutual withdrawl instead. No strikes and you get your fees back. Less chance of a negative.

I do not think sellers can see strikes. I've never noticed it and I sell 100+ items a month. We can block buyers with a certain # of strikes, so they are important.

KrisM
10-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Honestly, the first thing that occurred to me is that she is just buying a lot of pacifiers. I would not be all that surprised if she pays today or Monday/Tuesday and then pings you with a negative feedback...she has a few days to avoid the non-paying bidder report. It is simply possible she forgot about it. And your email will be a reminder. Because I can't file a report for 7 days, I usually give 7 days to pay (on the rare occasions my husband or I sell on eBay).

I agree. I know we have about 10 pacifiers for DS2, because there is never one where I want it, so I just have tons.

If someone doesn't pay immediately, I send an invoice after an hour or so. Then, another on day 3. Then one more on day 7 with a note to contact me if something is wrong or I'll be filing a dispute. I had one person ask to delay payment and she paid on day 14 and all was well.

Three days is a pretty quick requirement, IMO. What if she bid on a Thursday, went on vacation on Friday and returned Monday? Is paying on Monday for a Thursday auction that bad?

mom2binsd
10-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I read about a lady who this happened to but it was for a Halloween costume that sold for 58.00...and she has to wait the 7 days which really s*%$s due to upcoming holiday..the buyer was biding on two and won one for about 5.00 less....the buyers seem to be treating ebay like shopping at Walmart and Target!