PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Starbucks, what's your drink of choice?

Fairy
10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
My crack habit is pretty significant. My drinks of choice are, depending on mood and season ... and meal -->

:cheerleader1: FOR ME
Venti Iced Tea, Black, No sweetner (due to kidney stones, this is now a rarity)
Venti Iced Tea, Green, No sweetner (due to kidney stones, about once a week)
Grande Decaf Skim 2-Pump Iced Mocha (sometimes with whip)
Grande Decaf Skim 2-Pump Peppermint Mocha always with whip (only during holidays)
Sausage Egg Sandwich (these are awesome, way better than Mc'D's)
Berry Stella
Blueberry Oat Bran Loaf
Blueberry Scone

:bouncy: FOR DS
Kids or Tall Skim Milk (we don't do the horizon anymore due to sugar content)
One Vanilla Scone (which he then bites into looking like a rocket ship)
Trail Mix (only the white yogurt chips. Hmm.)
Blueberry Scone
Fruit cup

I really need to own stock. Well ... in theory ...

ETA --> We both also love the Molasses cookie and Gingerbread loaf that are seasonal. However, those yellow pieces of thingie that are scattered on the frosting I can't take. I used to be able to tolerate them, but now they skeeve me out. N ot sure why. So, I usually take off all the frosting and just eat the loaf. Also, we get the Madelines if there are no bananas or scones for DS.

bubbaray
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Summer:
Decaf Grande no whip Mocha Frapuccino

Fall/Winter/Spring:
Decaf Tall Soy 1/2 sweet Hazelnut No-foam Latte

Girls:
kids milk
ETA: If DH takes DD#1, she gets an Odwalla juice/smoothie.

Snacks (seasonal, they have different treats in BC than in WA -- seems to vary by location)
Pumpkin Scone
Pumpkin loaf
Holiday Gingerbread loaf (YUUUUUMMMMM)
Island Oat bar (seems to have been discontinued)
Lemon cranberry scone

In the US:
Pumpkin scone (diff. than the ones in Canada, not as good IMO)
Orange cranberry scone (lemon is better)
Holiday Gingerbread loaf is the same. YUMMY!

bubbaray
10-17-2008, 12:41 PM
However, those yellow pieces of thingie that are scattered on the frosting I can't take. I used to be able to tolerate them, but now they skeeve me out. N ot sure why. So, I usually take off all the frosting and just eat the loaf.

They are candied ginger, LOL. I could do without them, but they are OK.

I'll take your frosting -- that's the best part of the Holiday Gingerbread Loaf! :)

Tondi G
10-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Hot: Soy vanilla Latte
Cold: Iced green tea sweetened

My little guy loves the Madelines

those breakfast sandwiches are YUMMY!

ilfaith
10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Iced triple grande nonfat caramel macchiatto...with one pump vanilla (my big treat...I do it decaf when PG)
Grande iced green tea with one Splenda (just discovered this about a month ago when I wanted something cold, but had already had two cups of coffee that morning...very refreshing)
Double tall nonfat latte (if I'm ordering any sort of pastry and don't want anything sweet.)
And at least once around the winter holidays I will get a peppermint mocha....mmm like thin mint girl scout dookies.

I used to get the iced lemon cake, until a recent trip to NYC (where all chain restaruants must display the caloie content of everything served) Ever since I discoverd the lemon cake was 480 calories a slice, I can't bring myself to order it.

I used to love the Maple Oat scone, but I haven't seen it in years. And I haven't seen the pumpkin scones here in Florida yet...although they do have the pumpkin loaf.

egoldber
10-17-2008, 01:11 PM
I always get either a tall soy misto or a venti decaf drip.

DH is a venti drip.

Sarah is a kid's 2% milk.

Amy is kid's soy milk.

Our Starbucks needs are simple. ;) Although now we are doing without. Sigh.

Nooknookmom
10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Winter time fav is Non-fat Peppermint Mocha, yum!

My "usual" though is a Non-fat Almond Latte w/ extra foam. :)

tylersmama
10-17-2008, 01:40 PM
My usual is a tall nonfat, no-whip white mocha, hot or iced depending on the temperature. I like the pumpkin spice lattes too, although my last one tasted kind of funny, so now I'm scared to try it again. I just saw that they have a new hot chocolate out, I want to give that a try. The one they had a few years ago (the drinking chocolate, I think...very small, but very rich) was really good, but more of a special treat than an actual drink.

maestramommy
10-17-2008, 01:42 PM
If I don't cheap out with the tall Breakfast blend, I almost always get a tall % mocha, no whip.

Asianmommy
10-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I go for the tall decaf mocha.

mamaoftwins
10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I also love the non-fat decaf white mocha. Yum. I am not a coffee drinker really, just the lattes. But, the WM is my fav - I try to limit myself to once a month, but I've gone twice in the last two wks b/c they just opened a Starbuck's with a drive-thru and it's on the way to Target! Yikes!

Fairy
10-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Twice in two weeks. Sigh. I remember the days when i could care less about starbucks. Now I'm at one a day. No really.

maestramommy
10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Twice in two weeks. Sigh. I remember the days when i could care less about starbucks. Now I'm at one a day. No really.

Wow, must be nice! I pretty much stopped going to Starbucks after the kids came. Too much hassle! The nearest drive thru was too far and not on the way anywhere. It WAS a nice treat if I happened to by myself for whatever reason.

M&Mmom
10-17-2008, 02:05 PM
The only thing I like at Starbuck's is the Double Chocolate Chip Frappacinno (sp?). The vanilla bite size scones are good too.

I usually go to the corner coffee shop who has THE BEST PUMPKIN SPICE CHAI LATTE EVER!!!!!

bubbaray
10-17-2008, 02:19 PM
My Starbucks (aka crack) addiction used to be 2x/day. I'm now down to 2-3x/week, which I think is pretty good. DH goes daily.

npace19147
10-17-2008, 02:19 PM
We walk by at least 5 Starbucks' on the way home from dd1's school - I have to plan our route very carefully if I *don't* want to go to one! :P

In summer my faves are iced mocha no whip, iced coffee or a blended lemonade; cooler weather I like a regular mocha, no whip. I just tried the new signature hot chocolates and they are dangerous - so so good. MUST. RESIST.

dd1 usually gets a horizon chocolate milk box, dd2 often gets a cup of water with a straw and is young enough to be excited by the straw! dd1 loves the yogurt parfaits, and dd2 likes the madelines

trying to cut back b/c as a daily habit it is mucho $$.

brittone2
10-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Breve latte.

Moneypenny
10-17-2008, 03:50 PM
non-fat iced mocha with whip (I'm not sure why I get non-fat when I get whipped cream, but there ya go).

spirited
10-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Half-caf hazelnut latte. My fave used to be a cinnamon latte but then they changed the syrup to Cinnamon Dolce which is way too sweet in my opinion.

kimberley-k
10-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Last year on a trip to Italy, I got hooked on espresso (just two shots in a tiny mug, with sugar). However, when I tried to order it at Starbucks here, they got very confused and couldn't seem to get it right ("You just want two shots? A two-shot what?"). So I settled for Americanos and now I am hooked on iced decaf Americanos. Yum.

If I want something more filling, I go for a raspberry soy latte. Raspberry is the only flavor I have found that can mask the taste of the terrible soymilk that Starbucks uses (I'm partial to Trader Joe's soymilk at home).

-Kim

Fairy
10-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow, must be nice! I pretty much stopped going to Starbucks after the kids came. Too much hassle! The nearest drive thru was too far and not on the way anywhere. It WAS a nice treat if I happened to by myself for whatever reason.

Yeah, well, I have three drive-thrus and four non-drive-thru's in my immediately vicinity. It is nice.

Fairy
10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
A little tip for all you iced drinkers. I always get a sleeve, especially if it's iced. It soaks up all the condensation, and you don't have to worry about coasters or dripping. Works like a charm.

linsei
10-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Mocha frap for me
tap water for ds1 (coffee is an adult beverage here)
Americana, espresso, or plain coffee for dh

We don't do the snack items, because on the rare occassion that I did order one, it was not that great and I can't justify the money.

salsah
10-17-2008, 06:39 PM
they just opened a Starbuck's with a drive-thru and it's on the way to Target! Yikes!

that is double trouble -- drive-thru starbucks and target!

cleo27
10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
My faves are:

Hot:
non-fat caramel macchiato
white mocha
Gingerbread latte
(I used to like pumpkin spice lattes a lot, but I have tried 2x this year and both tasted really funny to me. )

Cold:
unsweetened black tea
iced non-fat caramel macchiato

Food:
pumpkin cream cheese muffin (I do not want to know the caloric amount! I'm in denial)
pumpkin loaf
gingerbread loaf

I love me some Starbucks, but I need to start limiting my visits ($$ and diet reasons!)

Fairy
10-17-2008, 07:19 PM

By us, all the SuperTargets have Starbucks IN them. When I go to SuperTarget, the Starbucks drivethru is right there next door, so I have to choose, have my crack while in Target, or do it after at the drivethru? :banghead:

bubbaray
10-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I have to choose, have my crack while in Target, or do it after at the drivethru? :banghead:

Um, stating the obvious -- one hit before Target (for energy) and one after (b/c you're tired).

:wink2:

tylersmama
10-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I used to like pumpkin spice lattes a lot, but I have tried 2x this year and both tasted really funny to me.

Hmm, wonder if it wasn't just mine then? I couldn't even finish the one I ordered last weekend. I would have taken it back but I was already long gone...

MontrealMum
10-17-2008, 07:46 PM
My Starbucks (aka crack) addiction used to be 2x/day. I'm now down to 2-3x/week, which I think is pretty good. DH goes daily.
Melissa, I think you're doing pretty well for Vancouver...I've never seen so many coffee shops in my life!

I do not go to Starbucks often, but prefer it to Second Cup...
I get (summer) venti non-fat iced chai latte
(winter) venti non-fat chai latte
Yes, I am boring. If I'm going to do coffee out I'll go to a local coffee place like the Brulerie or Cafe Republique, or a non-chain. I don't like the Starbucks coffee. I haven't even heard of half the Starbucks drinks you've all mentioned here. I'm going to have to read the menu more closely!

Oh, I like the scones, blueberry is good, lime was wonderful. They don't seem to have them in the US. I did not need to know how many calories were in the lemon loaf - ack! There are 4 Starbucks less than 5 min. from my mom's, it's terrible! AND one in the Target, and one in the grocery store. WOW!

EllasMum
10-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Another Starbucks tip: when ordering the iced teas, ask for light ice. Otherwise, you get 3/4 of your cup of ice and the rest is drink. If you ask for light ice, you get maybe 1/4 of the cup ice. My favorite is grande black iced tea lemonade light ice. Mmm... Oh yeah and throw in a ginger molasses cookie. DD likes a kids' chocolate milk.

linsei
10-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Hmm, wonder if it wasn't just mine then? I couldn't even finish the one I ordered last weekend. I would have taken it back but I was already long gone...

I also noticed that I don't like the pumpkin flavored drinks this year. I got on at Caribou and it was so gross that I have no plans of drinking anything pumpkin flavored in the near future. I had a few of them last year, and they were really good!

ilfaith
10-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Half-caf hazelnut latte. My fave used to be a cinnamon latte but then they changed the syrup to Cinnamon Dolce which is way too sweet in my opinion.

If you find the Cinnamon Dolce too sweet, you might just want to try it with one pump of syrup. I believe that a tall drink usually gets three pumps, which for me is far too sweet. I find that it sometimes takes a little trial and error to get drinks just the way I want them...hence my "iced triple grande, non-fat, half-caf, one-pump vanilla, caramel machiatto" (which is far fron the most complicated orders I've heard while sitting near the counter at Starbucks).

Twin Mom
10-17-2008, 10:20 PM
All the Targets near me have Starbucks in them.

I don't drink coffee so I haven't heard of most of these drinks either. The only thing I get is the caramel light frappachino with whip of course. I usually only get one when I have a gift card though. Starbucks is way too expensive IMO.

WitMom
10-17-2008, 10:23 PM
My standard is a tall decaf nonfat mocha with whip. During the fall season, I usually spring for a pumpkin spice latte, and during the Christmas season, a mint white mocha. Today I tried the new salted caramel hot chocolate. Yummy and very filling. A good drink for when you want to feel warm and cozy.

I haven't figured out my summer drink yet. We used to live in an area that had Caribou coffee. My summer drink there (I didn't go to Starbucks when we had Caribou) was a cold press iced coffee with a shot of white chocolate. I don't know if Starbucks has anything similar or not.

purpleeyes
10-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I love the soy chai latte, which I have to limit to once a week, and I get the short size.
Lately, I've been getting grande regular coffee w/ 2 pumps of caramel. I am becoming addicted to caffiene again, after going off it for pregnancies/bf! ;)

DS usually gets milk, sometimes horizon, sometimes chocolate, but mostly regular. We go so much I can't let him get chocolate every time! :o

What he really loves, tho, is the fruit and cheese plage ($5.95!!)-his fave is the brie! He eats the whole thing, even the rind. Mommy, can I get the 'white cheese'? ;)

Wonder what DD will like? ;)

spanannie
10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Right now, I'm going simple: Venti Iced Coffee w/ 5 pumps Classic & light cream. I change my drinks every few mos. I was doing Iced Decaf soy mocha while pregnant. Don't know what my winter drink it going to be. Probably will go back to the Mocha. I am a once/day no matter what Starbucks devotee.

My kids get the occasional treat of splitting a venti strawberries & cream frapp 2% milk, no whip. I go so often that they only get this from time to time. They'll share a cookie from time to time, too.

***If you didn't know, Costco (at least our Costco) is currently selling $100 worth of Starbucks gift cards for $80. What a deal! I've already stocked up on 3 sets!***

tylersmama
10-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I haven't figured out my summer drink yet. We used to live in an area that had Caribou coffee. My summer drink there (I didn't go to Starbucks when we had Caribou) was a cold press iced coffee with a shot of white chocolate. I don't know if Starbucks has anything similar or not.Sounds like you would like their iced white chocolate mocha. It's my summer drink of choice...so yummy!

EllasMum
10-18-2008, 01:19 AM
OK curiosity has got the better of me... what is 'horizon' that keeps getting mentioned??

sdjeppa
10-18-2008, 01:30 AM
My drink of choice is a Venti Awake Tea Misto with extra foam - its even on my personalized starbucks card I got for Christmas last year :). Rarely, I will get an iced caramel macchiato.

DS likes a kids milk or "warm cocoa". he also likes bumpy donuts (aka apple fritters).

tylersmama
10-18-2008, 10:56 AM
OK curiosity has got the better of me... what is 'horizon' that keeps getting mentioned??Horizon is a brand of ultra-pasteurized (ie. shelf stable) milk. The varieties that are usually available are flavored and super high in sugar. I personally think the flavored ones are really gross, and DS won't even drink them, they're so sweet!

Fairy
10-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Horizon is a brand of ultra-pasteurized (ie. shelf stable) milk. The varieties that are usually available are flavored and super high in sugar. I personally think the flavored ones are really gross, and DS won't even drink them, they're so sweet!

And just to add to this, Horizon is organic, which is why alot of us like to get this for our DCs. However, a few things on this. For one thing, I've recently heard that Horizon isn't quite as organic as it claims. Secondly, all the Starbucks I've ever been in only have the chocolate or vanilla, not the plain; I dunno if that's all of them or only the ones by me, but there's no plain option. Barnes & Noble has the plain option by me, but not Starbucks. Finally, we bought a half gallon of Horizon at the supertarget the other day cuz we were out of Oberweis and needed something just quickly, and the second I opened it, the smell made me want to throw up. t wasn't that it went bad or anything, it just didn't smell like MILK. And I said, ya know what, any milk that's suitable to be on teh shelf for weeks on end is not a milk I want DC drinking. And that was it for me. Now we jsut go with regular skim or 2%. I go almost every day, but DC does not, so that's something I can live with.

bethie_73
10-19-2008, 12:02 PM
I haven't read all the posts but I don't drink Starbucks. I have and once in a GREAT while, like when we are out and its cold or something I will drink the Pumpkin or the Peppermint during the holidays. Ummm so I don't know what they even serve except for those (and really I would just get them because I got coupons for free coffee when shopping at Safeway)

I do drink tea, ok I only drink PG Tips, every once in a while a different black English tea. Blame my mom and the afternoon tea I had every day growing up.

lmintzer
10-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Grande vanilla non-fat cappucino for me! : )

My kids like the vanilla milk, kids hot chocolates, or the frozen vanilla blended drink for special treats.

Sometimes, I can get away with ice water in a Starbucks cup with a straw and a bagel for my little guy.

MelissaTC
10-19-2008, 03:03 PM
If I am really thirsty, I will order a Venti green tea lemonade with 3 pumps, instead of 6. Sometimes I will ask for the melon syrup (or maybe it is honeydew?) instead of the plain sugar syrup.

I also like skim lattes, skim mocha or mocha frappuccinos. I also enjoy the cinammon dolce latte, skinny and sugar free. It tastes like a cinammon roll!

Corie
10-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I have never gotten a drink or food item from Starbuck's.
Never ever.

salsah
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Never ever.

is that possible?

we need a jaw drop smiley.

Fairy
10-19-2008, 07:32 PM
is that possible?

We've got one! :47:

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
is that possible?

Here ya go:

:47:

Corie
10-19-2008, 08:22 PM
is that possible?

I don't like the taste of coffee or coffee-flavored drinks.
(I LOVE the smell though!)
I also don't like hot drinks like hot chocolate, hot tea.

I tried a free sample of an iced latte at McDonalds. It was
caramel-flavored, I think. I took one sip and it totally gagged
me. You would have laughed your rear off if you had seen me
in the drive-through after I had my sip. :)

mytwosons
10-19-2008, 08:29 PM

I tried a free sample of an iced latte at McDonalds. It was
caramel-flavored, I think. I took one sip and it totally gagged
me. You would have laughed your rear off if you had seen me
in the drive-through after I had my sip. :)

Please don't judge coffee based on one McD's experience! Now, I love me some Tim Horton's, but the one McD's iced coffee I tried was disgusting! My DH also ordered one and we thought something had spoiled! Haven't tried it again, so not sure if something did spoil, or if McD's just doesn't have the coffee drinks down...

Tim Horton's has yummy frozen coffee drinks, and I always prefer my local coffee house to Starbucks!

Corie
10-19-2008, 08:36 PM
My DH also ordered one and we thought something had spoiled! Haven't tried it again, so not sure if something did spoil, or if McD's just doesn't have the coffee drinks down...

That's about how it tasted! I was trying to wipe off my tongue
with some random piece of paper I found in the back seat.

I'm already addicted to doughnuts. I can't handle another one. :)

kijip
10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
We rarely go but when we do, I get a huge herbal iced tea. Dull I know but I gave up caffeine and am NOT looking back if I can help it.

salsah
10-20-2008, 01:32 AM

my dh is like that too but he doesn't mind an occasional hot chocolate or hot apple cider. he still goes to starbucks socially.

kep
10-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Never ever.

Let's plan an intervention! I'll come right over, Corie. :loveeyes:
(I'll even bring you a pack of undies...)

kep
10-20-2008, 07:06 AM
I drink a tall no-whip Caramel Frap, with caramel on top. Year round. Even when it's snowing outside. :D Every now and then I'll get a craving for a Vanilla Latte or something, but not usually strong enough to actually order one. I even got them (one every 1-2 days) while I was on Weight Watchers. I knew exactly how many points one was, and holding the whip cream saved several points, if I remember correctly. It also helped that I was a nursing mom at the time, and had a few extra points to play around with. I was surprisingly successful at WW even while keeping up my Starbucks addiction.

My five year old has been ordering for himself for at least two years now, (well, when Mommy has the extra money and is feeling generous). "May-I-please-have-a-kid's-hot-chocolate-one-hundred-degrees. With-whip-cream, please!" Then he throws his dollar bill across the counter at the barista ringing us up. We're still working on waiting until they ring him up and then ask for the money. :hysterical:

KBecks
10-20-2008, 09:01 AM
I generally like a Latte, but I've been into frappuccinos, plain with whipped cream. They are fun. I only go once every couple months.

KBecks
10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
We rarely go but when we do, I get a huge herbal iced tea. Dull I know but I gave up caffeine and am NOT looking back if I can help it.

Kudos for giving up caffeine. I can't imagine doing it myself, but I admire you for pulling it off. It's the only thing I really "use".

Fairy
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
My five year old has been ordering for himself for at least two years now, (well, when Mommy has the extra money and is feeling generous). "May-I-please-have-a-kid's-hot-chocolate-one-hundred-degrees. With-whip-cream, please!" Then he throws his dollar bill across the counter at the barista ringing us up. We're still working on waiting until they ring him up and then ask for the money. :hysterical:

This is cute :-)

crayonblue
10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Pumpkin spice latte! I don't normally drink Starbucks but I discovered these this year. I have to drink decaf though because regular makes me jump out of my skin. I allow myself one per week. I am cheap!

saschalicks
10-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte. OH YUM!!!!!

egoldber
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I think I'm the only person who thinks the pumpkin spice lattes are disgusting. But the peppermint mochas, oh my, those are amazing. I'm just way too cheap to have more than one or two per holiday season though!!

pb&j
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Iced decaf Americano, with lowfat or nonfat milk.

or

Tall decaf skim latte.

I don't do caffeine. It's like speed for me, I get the shakes, can't sleep, and cannot be held accountable for my behavior while under the influence.

I really hate sugary coffee drinks. Blech. Frappucinos and the seasonal drinks are so gross to me. Only milk in my coffee, please.

salsah
10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I think I'm the only person who thinks the pumpkin spice lattes are disgusting.

no you are not. i tried one once and i couldn't even finish it.

Fairy
10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
I think I'm the only person who thinks the pumpkin spice lattes are disgusting. But the peppermint mochas, oh my, those are amazing. I'm just way too cheap to have more than one or two per holiday season though!!

No, I'm with you. Then again, I don't like pumpkin-flavored anything. Pumpkin seeds, ok. Pumpkin flavor, itself? No.

bubbaray
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
No, I'm with you. Then again, I don't like pumpkin-flavored anything. Pumpkin seeds, ok. Pumpkin flavor, itself? No.

I also don't like the pumpkin lattes. Their pumpkin loaf is yummy, though.

egoldber
10-20-2008, 04:31 PM
I love pumpkin in general. That latte has a weird flover to it IMO.

But in general I am a plain coffee kinda gal. ;)

MelissaTC
10-20-2008, 04:33 PM

I am with you. I love love love peppermint mochas. I love the peppermint mocha frapuccinos too. YUM!!!!! (And you know you can get them year round, right? ;) ).

egoldber
10-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Again, too cheap. ;) It's a special holiday season treat for me. :)

Dcclerk
10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I can't believe that I saw only one or two of my favorites...

Venti nonfat carmel macchiato

And, when I want something cold, it is their new smoothie thing (can't remember its name) or the carmel frappucino light.

Still, for the hot drinks, I much prefer my vanilla latte from Peet's. And, for the cold drinks, a Coffee Bean Vanilla Iced Blended is far superior.

The pregnancy has kept me out of Starbucks lately, and my pocketbook has been thankful. Not that I am at all against caffeine while pregnant-- it just doesn't sound very good right now!