PDA

View Full Version : What teas are ok during pregnancy?

arivecchi
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I know caffeine is not ok, but most decaf teas are green teas and I've read that some herbs can be dangerouns for the baby. I'm 24 weeks now and have been really mising my tea! Help!

spirited
10-17-2008, 04:07 PM
What I have read is that black teas are okay (caffeine in moderation is not harmful - it is when you drink a ton of it a day that it can be problematic). I drink black tea on occasion. A lot of herbal teas are questionable, which is a shame because I prefer herbal teas. I add cloves, honey and ginger to black tea just to jazz it up a bit.

wellyes
10-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Everything I've read said that an occasional cup of any type of tea is fine. But I wouldn't drink herbal teas in any quantity. I remember specifically reading that hibiscus is an abortifacient and should be avoided in large quantities..... and just about every Celestial Seasonings seem to have that as an ingredient. So, I lived on decaf black tea when pregnant. Twinings makes an excellent decaf English Breakfast.

But, just to reiterate, it takes a large, even medicinal-sized dose to potentially do harm, so I'm sure an occasional herb tea is no big deal.

vludmilla
10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Just wanted to clarify that green tea is actually the same tea leaf as black tea. It is not a different "herb"; it is just prepared differently. It is actually less processed than black tea and hence the greater antioxidant benefits in green tea. It is perfectly safe in pregnancy.

arivecchi
10-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks so much for all the info!