PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long between BMs for a breastfed baby?

sarahsthreads
10-17-2008, 04:25 PM
DD2 (3 months) hasn't had a poopy diaper in a week. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, but since it's Friday afternoon I called the ped to ask what they would recommend. The nurse was quite adamant that I should be giving DD2 an ounce of prune juice A DAY to keep her regular.

This seems a little overkill to me - DD1 would typically go most of a week in between BMs and my former ped didn't seem concerned. Also, isn't this contrary to the advice to wait until 6 months for solids?

This is all complicated by the fact that DD2 and I are going on an overnight trip tomorrow, and I'd rather not have to find a way to wash her carseat cover in a hotel - or even worse, after we check out! - because of a major blow-out. I'm also worried about introducing a new food (the prune juice) just before a trip...

WWYD?
Sarah :)

sidmand
10-17-2008, 04:32 PM
DD would go a week without a poopy diaper sometimes. When she did go though, it was doozy! Sometimes I didn't even bother trying to clean her off and went right for the bath...

I'm pretty sure with exclusively BF babies, up to a week is completely fine. BM is more easily digested and there's often not so much left for poop.

My ped wasn't concerned at all. And unless I'm concerned, I kind of ignore all they say about food. I figure I've done enough research and know more about my own child than they do. If your DD doesn't seem upset or in pain at all, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably coming!

And even so, at three months, prune juice? No. I wouldn't. If you thought there was a problem, maybe, maybe. But on general principle, no.

sarahsthreads
10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks...I'm glad someone else agrees that prune juice is a weird thing to recommend.

And, um, nevermind. The...poop watch...is over. I think I'd better go start the bath... :ROTFLMAO:

maestramommy
10-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks...I'm glad someone else agrees that prune juice is a weird thing to recommend.

And, um, nevermind. The...poop watch...is over. I think I'd better go start the bath... :ROTFLMAO:

What timing!:p

In the future, if it goes on too long or you're concerned, my ped had me use glycerin suppositories. Always worked! Or you could always just smear some vaseline on a rectal themometer and "take a temp." I hear that works really well too!

nrp
10-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I know the immediate issue has passed (just realized the unintended pun when I re-read the post - ha!), but my ped says that a week isn't a problem for BF babies. She says just be glad for the fewer poopy diapers. FWIW, my DS goes every 2-4 days. It seems just when it occurs to me to wonder how long its been, he "cooperates."

tylersmama
10-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Just agreeing with the rest. Right around that age, DS went from going every 2-3 days to going 7-10 days between poopy dipes. He never acted constipated or uncomfortable at all, so I didn't worry about it!

bubbaray
10-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow, I must produce exLax breastmilk! Both my girls poop multiple times per day, when they were EBFd and now that they aren't! They both definitely went every day, I would have fainted if they had gone a week!

Nooknookmom
10-17-2008, 06:03 PM
DD also went as long as 8 days btwn poops. I was very concerned, but Pedi said it was normal. She told me that their little systems aren't mature yet & the kinks have to work out. She was right, about 4 months hit and she was pooping like a champ.

shilo
10-17-2008, 06:09 PM
just another btdt. about the same timeframe 2.5 months-ish maybe until 4.5 or 5ish months, iirc? he would go every 6-8days or so. was usually a pretty big one when he did move his system, but not always. it was a total non-issue with our pedi who said it's very common. and he did outgrow it. and fwiw, he's now a very regular 1x/day pooping toddler.

urquie
10-17-2008, 06:14 PM
dd1 pooped all the time! dd2 (3 1/2 months) poops about once a week give or take a few days... and i love it! only 2 blow-outs so far. :yay:

funny - dd1 had way more blow-outs!

i would not give prune juice to my young babe.

DrSally
10-17-2008, 10:50 PM
DS went 5 days wo/ a BM when he was about that age. I went into the dr. too, and when he opened the diaper, he had just pooped. I asked if I should be concerned, and he said "not if it looks like that" (soft). BF babies process BM so efficiently that I think they can go over a week and it's not a problem. I would not be giving prune juice to a 3 month old, I'd want to keep that "virgin gut" with nothing else introduced but BM.

sarahsthreads
10-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks, all. It definitely didn't feel right to follow that advice.

Maybe the nurse didn't hear the part where I said DD2 was breastfed? That's the only explanation I can think, because they've seemed pretty knowledgeable about bf-ing up until now...

But at least now I can rest easy about this trip...assuming the laundry ever dries so I can pack and go to bed!

zephyr
10-18-2008, 12:33 AM
My ds would go #2 a couple times a day when he was EBF and they were usually BLOWOUTS the first couple of months. LOTS of laundry. If he didn't go for two days I would be extremely worried in his case. Even now he goes 1-2 times per day, any less than that and I start to add prune juice and stuff to his diet.

brittone2
10-18-2008, 11:43 AM
As long as they aren't really uncomfortable or the poop isn't hard by the time it comes out, I wouldn't worry about a week (both of my kids did this periodically too).

Glad the poop watch has passed ;)