PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Ebayers, Question for you....

newmomto1
10-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I am an experienced Ebayer, but do not know the answer to this.

I have noticed on some items I wanted to bid on (& some that I don't) unusual Ebay / bidder ID's.
They consist of two letters, or two numbers, or one of each, separated by stars.
Example: "b***h", "1***5", "7***i", etc..

When you click on the ID, you don't get the normal profie, but rather a bidding history.

Anyone know what's up with these??????????

Radosti
10-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Ebay's new attempt to make the bidders anonymous.

mamaoftwins
10-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I think it's called "buyer masking" - it keeps buyers anonymous. It's the buyer's first and last letter of their eBay name, but with the middle letters taken out, hence the stars. One of eBay's newer online security/safety measures, I guess.

newmomto1
10-17-2008, 11:00 PM
I think it's called "buyer masking" - it keeps buyers anonymous. It's the buyer's first and last letter of their eBay name, but with the middle letters taken out, hence the stars. One of eBay's newer online security/safety measures, I guess.

I guess I am confused.
I am pretty sure that when I have bid on an item, my ID was visible.
Who decides if/when the bidder is anon?????

deannanb
10-17-2008, 11:02 PM
I guess I am confused.
I am pretty sure that when I have bid on an item, my ID was visible.
Who decides if/when the bidder is anon?????

I haven't been on in a while, but maybe you are allowed to see your own name - but not anyone else's?

newmomto1
10-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I haven't been on in a while, but maybe you are allowed to see your own name - but not anyone else's?

:duh: Okay..I feel so stupid right now!
You're right. AND, hello....there is a big notice right on the top of the page I was looking at (on Ebay) that explains this whole thing.
:oops:

KrisM
10-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Yep, you see your name and the seller sees all the names.

There is some consistency. The masked name is the same for all things that bidder is bidding on at the same time.