PDA

View Full Version : I can't give what I want to give.

buddyleebaby
10-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I know that it is the thought that counts, and I do try to put thought and time into my gifts, but when EVERYONE I know is so generous with their gifts and I am not able to reciprocate, I feel like a shmuck.

lizajane
10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
you may be better reciprocrating than you think. a friend of mine once said to me something like, "you spend time making something original and special and i just spend $50 on a burp cloth."

to me, her $50 burp cloth (ok, clearly exaggerating on the $50) was so fancy and "nice" and my homemade items were so "homemade" but to her i was going the extra mile and she was just writing a check.

creative ways to give gifts can cost less and be much more appreciated. especially when you give of yourself and your time.

hang in there.

MamaMolly
10-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Super big hugs, Mama! I'm so sorry! I know what it is like, and you are right, it can stink.

Are you a crafter? I find that lower cost home made gifts really blow the spendy ones out of the water. And even if you don't consider yourself too crafty I'll bet you can wield a mean gluestick!!

Is there a specific issue you want to share that maybe we can brainstorm a solution for? (ok, my syntax stinks but you know what I'm trying to say!!)

Hugs, hugs, hugs,

maestramommy
10-18-2008, 07:46 AM
:hug::hug: The people in your life who really know you, will truly appreciate what you have given. I'm sure there's a valuable lesson here that you'll pass on to your girls as well. :hug:

Ceepa
10-18-2008, 04:03 PM
As pp said, you are modeling thoughtful gift giving for your DC. That alone is priceless.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Alicia, please do not feel badly. The best presents we ever get are from my DIL and SS who have almost no money. Last year she made me a fabulous bracelet out of vintage buttons on elastic, knitted a scarf for Nick, made some fabulous goodies and those were the best presents because she put so much though, not money, into them. xoxo

fortato
10-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Seriously??
If I wasn't so lazy, I would love to make something for someone... but since I can afford it, I go the lazy way out and buy something.

The fact that you care enough to give, is all that matters.

janeybwild
10-19-2008, 10:48 PM
:hug: I hear you. It sucks having to spend so much time worrying that your gifts are not enough. But I agree with everyone else, it truly is the thought that counts and anyone who thinks otherwise is no one you need worry about.