PDA

View Full Version : 1 Month Old Not Really Napping?

frzgrl2008
10-18-2008, 11:52 AM
My 1 month old sleeps great at night. I nurse her and then she will go 3-4 hours before waking me again (not complaining about that).

She won't sleep well during the day though. I put her down after feeding and she is awake 15 minutes later and yelling. I can only get her to nap if she is in her wrap on me or getting pushed in her stroller. I need to take a bath sometime. :)

Tondi G
10-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Sounds pretty normal to me! I took speed showers at that point! Get the baby in the crib or bouncy seat or swing and RUN to the bathroom. Get clean and hope the baby doesn't start wailing before you're done! The baby will hopefully settle into a more normal routine in a few months!

It doesn't last forever and it's tough... but you'll get there!

la mama
10-18-2008, 12:12 PM
I can't offer any advice, only encouragement, especially since at 2 months, my DC are still doing the same thing. At any given time during the day, at least one of them is up and fussing. I've heard it gets better!

WatchingThemGrow
10-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Are you swaddling during the day?

JTsMom
10-18-2008, 02:21 PM
My DS would only sleep on me or in the swing at that age. I'd nurse him to sleep, transfer him to the swing, and crank it up to high speed. If you try that and it works, I highly rec re-chargeable batteries!

ETA: It was the Fisher Price Aquarium swing, and at one point he had to be swinging side to side. At another point it was back and forth.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2008, 03:47 PM
My ds2 wasn't a napper either. My MIL spent a lot of time with us the first month or 2 and always remarked on his ability to be up...and pleasant! He got to be a great napper, btw!

Beth

mecawa
10-18-2008, 09:17 PM
My DD did the same exact thing. She didn't really nap until she hit 5 months but would sleep 8-12 hours at night.

mytwosons
10-18-2008, 09:48 PM
From what I've heard, it seems that new babes are either night sleepers or nappers, but not both.

Try to enjoy the stretch at night, and don't hesitate to ask someone to come over and hold the baby while you shower and/or get other stuff done!

nfowife
10-19-2008, 05:36 AM
totally normal. Try swaddling, the swing, and/or bouncy chair!

frzgrl2008
10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the grat support! If I can't fix it, at least I know it's normal. I do wrap her on my chest if I really need to get something done around the house and if we take a walk, she will usually sleep a good 15 minutes afterward in the stroller. So that sounds like shower time to me. :)

JenaW
10-20-2008, 08:21 AM
I have the exact opposite problem. Mine sleeps ALL DAY in between nursing sessions, often going for 1-4 hours at a time. She is totally content to be in her swing or the PNP by herself. However, at night, as SOON as I set her down (in her bassinet) she SCREAMS. She wants to nurse every 15 minutes, and then wants to snuggle with her mommy. DH says I am spoiling her and now she wants to be held all the time, but she is fine during the day - maybe she is afraid of the dark!? I know I need to work out this day/night thing, but honestly it has made my days much easier. With at least 2 other little ones still at home (sometimes 3) it is much easier to have the baby sleeping. Of course, then I never sleep. SIGH.

J