PDA

View Full Version : PSA:***Don't Forget to "BOO" your Neighbors!!!***

Corie
10-18-2008, 02:33 PM
The kids and I LOVE "BOO-ing" our friends/neighbors!
We laugh hysterically the whole time. :)

And we just got BOOed the other night too. That was
great too!
The kids were so excited!

JBaxter
10-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Not everyone enjoys that most annoying tradition. I have a child on a restricted diet and having a bag of unapproved candy left on my door step by a virtual stranger is not a welcomed thing.

Before "booing" someone please make sure you know the family well enough to be sure they want to participate in the ritual.

1964pandora
10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
What IS Boo-ing?

Pennylane
10-18-2008, 03:38 PM
When you "Boo" someone,you make a small bag filled with goodies, mostly candy and make a note to go with it. Something like this:

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/halloween/l/blhalbooed.htm

When it's dark, you put it on someones front porch, ring their bell and run. Then they are supposed to do it to more people.

Ann

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Not something we are in to in my neighborhood...and that's ok with me. But, I'm glad some families enjoy it!

Beth

cono0507
10-18-2008, 04:13 PM
We actually got boo'd twice this year, despite the fact we had the Boo sign in the window after the first.

I was pleasantly surprised to find only a bag of M&Ms as the only candy, and instead of a ton of candy, there were halloween coloring books, crayons, glow sticks, cute halloween picture frames, halloween cups and straws, etc. It was great and my son loved it and no fights over candy. :)

LarsMal
10-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Not everyone enjoys that most annoying tradition. I have a child on a restricted diet and having a bag of unapproved candy left on my door step by a virtual stranger is not a welcomed thing.

Before "booing" someone please make sure you know the family well enough to be sure they want to participate in the ritual.

I don't know what you call a Halloween Scrooge, but I must be one of those! I'm with Jeana. Boo-ing is not for everyone. We got ours, filled with candy DS can't eat, and I felt so bad.

I'm also too tired and sick this year to think about adding another thing to my list of things to do! Funny thing is, DH totally caught our neighbor boo-ing us, so at least I know where the candy came from this time! DH and I enjoyed it, but poor DS keeps talking about the bag of candy he can't eat. :(

I also feel bad doing it to other people- not knowing if they would find it fun or annoying. Oh well, maybe I'll feel better about it next year!!!

For those who do enjoy it- have fun!!!!

JBaxter
10-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't know what you call a Halloween Scrooge, but I must be one of those! I'm with Jeana. Boo-ing is not for everyone. We got ours, filled with candy DS can't eat, and I felt so bad.

I'm also too tired and sick this year to think about adding another thing to my list of things to do! Funny thing is, DH totally caught our neighbor boo-ing us, so at least I know where the candy came from this time! DH and I enjoyed it, but poor DS keeps talking about the bag of candy he can't eat. :(

I also feel bad doing it to other people- not knowing if they would find it fun or annoying. Oh well, maybe I'll feel better about it next year!!!

For those who do enjoy it- have fun!!!!

Im SO glad I wasnt the only one who felt this way. Last year I found Nathan eating a WHOLE mouth full of starburst candies. It was left the night before and we actually werent home He had gone out to get the news paper and found the WHOLE BAG of candy He was like a (then 3 3/4yr old) little crack addict on caffeine for 2 days ( really bad food dye issues) It was horrible. In this age of food allergies I wish people would be more considerate of leaving stuff on your door step without a parents knowledge. I made some pretty strong phone calls to the neightbors and so far this year we havent gotten "boo'd"

shelikesmorningglories
10-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Personally,I find the concept of booing to be presumptious,pretentious and annoying.Not everyone has the time or money to participate.Not everyone celebrates Halloween.If you(general you) want to turn Halloween into the next Christmas,have fun:)

BaileyBea
10-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I love this idea Corie. I never heard of it but what a nice fun thing to do with the kids. Make some cookies and leave some for our neighbors. A great way to pass on the Halloween spirit!

A lot of people in our neighborhood bake and make goodies to share.

Nancy

citymama
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Personally,I find the concept of booing to be presumptious,pretentious and annoying.Not everyone has the time or money to participate.Not everyone celebrates Halloween.If you(general you) want to turn Halloween into the next Christmas,have fun:)
Please note, not everyone celebrates Christmas either!

Boo-ing sounds like way too much work for an overworked (and lazy ;)) mama like me, but if someone wants to bring over some candy to me, I'll take it. :wink2:

g-mama
10-18-2008, 07:56 PM
We LOVE Boo-ing over here, too, and so far, have had nothing but positive responses. My kids look forward to this tradition every year and get super involved. I think we only 'boo' people who are into the neighborhood-type activities, whose kids come out to play, who participate in our Halloween block party, etc. so maybe those who wouldn't appreciate being 'boo-ed' are people we naturally avoid anyway.

There are families who very much keep to themselves and their kids rarely see the light of day and so it's sort of assumed that they wouldn't continue on with the chain and it would stop with them. To each his own.

Oh, and we even drove thru the neighborhood delivering the goody baskets with the kids NOT strapped into their carseats so we could make a quick getaway. We're pretty racy folks out in this neck of the woods - LOL!

TonFirst
10-18-2008, 08:08 PM
I think that BOO-ing is sort of precious and definitely not for everyone. However, I think it could be a lot of fun for kids and adults if it's done within a circle of friends or neighbors - I don't know if I'd bring strangers into the loop unless they had a heads-up and a chance to opt-out (my neighborhood has an email list-serve that we'd use to announce the impending BOOs and give folks the chance to opt-out).

That said - if someone were to ring my doorbell at dusk, freaking the dog into a barking frenzy and making the kids all spazzy at bedtime - or worse, after 7:30, when my kids are generally in bed - heaven help the BOO-er on my porch!

fivi2
10-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Hmm..., I don't think this has made it to my neighborhood (or else we are just losers!), but I think it sounds like a cute way to meet your neighbors and have some fun. I can understand people not wanting candy, but it seems like some stickers or notepads like pp said would be fun?

Maybe I'd feel differently if it happens to us!

MamaMolly
10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I dunno. We live in townhouses and Boo-ing hasn't come here yet but I kind of think of it like chain letters. You really *don't* have to pass it on if you don't want to.

The only other thought I had was how Boo-ing kinda negates the whole don't take candy from strangers thing. But then I'm a little weird about stuff...

kransden
10-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I have never heard of this tradition. I think I would want to know where the candy came from kwim?

lablover
10-18-2008, 09:00 PM
How timely - we just got BOO-d a couple of hours ago! We're the type that never get around to getting 2 more bags to BOO people (and our kids are still clueless about it so we don't have to do it for them) so we usually are lame and will probably take the bag intact and pass it on to another friend. It had a halloween straw cup, some halloween stretchy figures, a bag of microwave popcorn, a mini Hershey bar and a mini Smarties pack - so not overboard with candy. One year, before kids, we were BOO-d with a 6 pack of beer - that was funny. It was obviously by someone that we knew.

ccather
10-18-2008, 09:10 PM
We're a boo (they call it "ghosting" around here) dead end. I just won't do it. I tried the first year, but we were one of the last houses to get hit, so there were none left. Seriously, I just have too many other things to worry with. Besides, my kids are too little to really "get" it. This year, I meant to put up the ghost before we got hit, but I was too slow. Thank goodness we'll be moving before next halloween!

LarsMal
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
We LOVE Boo-ing over here, too, and so far, have had nothing but positive responses. My kids look forward to this tradition every year and get super involved. I think we only 'boo' people who are into the neighborhood-type activities, whose kids come out to play, who participate in our Halloween block party, etc. so maybe those who wouldn't appreciate being 'boo-ed' are people we naturally avoid anyway.

There are families who very much keep to themselves and their kids rarely see the light of day and so it's sort of assumed that they wouldn't continue on with the chain and it would stop with them. To each his own.

That's funny to me, because we are very social in our neighborhood. I'm outside with my kids every chance I get. I socialize with several of our neighbors, and we would win the award, hands-down, for having the kids who play the most in our cul-de-sac- often wondering where everyone else is! We go to all of the neighborhood events/activities, too.

I love the holidays, my house is all decked out for Halloween, and I look forward to giving candy out to all the trick-or-treaters...but I *still* don't like boo-ing. Maybe if my kids were older and could participate it would be different. For now, it's more of a hassle, and just one more thing to add to my list. And I also feel bad leaving something on someone else's doorstep because maybe *they* find it to be a hassle, too!

Boo-humbug!!!

WitMom
10-18-2008, 09:33 PM
My family has so much fun doing this that it never occurred to me that not everyone would enjoy/appreciate a little Halloween fun. We just got back from boo-ing a little bit ago. I guess if the families we boo-ed don't want to pass it on, that's fine. We still had fun anyway.

BarbieSmith
10-19-2008, 08:00 AM
You know what? It sounds fun! :)

egoldber
10-19-2008, 08:31 AM
That's funny to me, because we are very social in our neighborhood.

I love the holidays, my house is all decked out for Halloween, and I look forward to giving candy out to all the trick-or-treaters...but I *still* don't like boo-ing. !

:yeahthat:

I love Halloween, but the idea of Booing kind of sucks the fun out of it for me. The last thing I need is another responsibility added to my plate.

Fairy
10-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Completely not a fan. It's not the gifting that gets to me, it's the ding dong ditch element, which in my m ind is never fun or funny. When you've got a sleeping baby or toddler, heaven help them if they wake up my DC that I just got to bed finally. And if it's an older child, all they're gonna wanna do is see what just came to the door.

I like the spirit in which boo'ing occurs. That's a sentiment and intention I very much want to be part of, but the ding dong ditch not so much. Secret Ghosties that are planned and you know who wants to participate? Good to go. Not Boo'ing.

buddyleebaby
10-19-2008, 11:30 AM
You know, we're probably one of those families g-mama described. We keep to ourselves. We have a yard but it's surrounded by trees and well back from the street and that's where we usually play. We don't really know anyone in the neighborhood and don't do the local mommy and me classes because I can't bring all three kids with me at once. Sometimes we run into other children at the playground or beach but that's about it. I don't think we've even seen the same kids twice. I would like my children to play with other children more often but I am not outgoing and I really don't know how to accomplish that.
My children would LOVE to be Boo'ed.

specialp
10-19-2008, 12:58 PM
In my area people actually do the booing without the "ding dong & ditch" element. People just leave the goodies on the front porch when it's dark (or when the people aren't home) with note and never ring the doorbell. I'm still not a fan of booing, but can see why it is fun for a lot. Maybe you who like to boo could go without the doorbell.:wink2:

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 01:54 PM
My DH loves Halloween and our neighborhood is VERY into it (hence people bussing their kids into our neighborhood...). I've never heard of booing, except on this Board.

I will say, I thank my lucky stars that no one here does it. I don't like the candy from strangers bit. Plus, we have major allergies here, so I'm sure we would just end up tossing the goods anyway. Besides, I do NOT have time to reciprocate....

Corie
10-19-2008, 03:09 PM

I can't imagine "booing" a stranger. What's the fun in that??
I just boo my friends and their kids.
And since my child is allergic to nuts, I am sensitive to food allergies.
My treat bags do not contain candy.

Corie
10-19-2008, 03:13 PM

It doesn't take alot of time or money. I bought 10 Halloween cups
at Walgreen's for $1. I filled the cups with leftover Dracula teeth,
insect rings, glow-in-the-dark bouncy ball, etc. (This was all stuff
that I've given out in past Halloweens.)

I'd be pretty disappointed if this is what I got for Christmas.

But we had LOTS of fun! :)

maestramommy
10-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Corie, we would love to be boo'd by you! Dora would think it was so cool that someone knocked on our door and left a halloween cup filled with fun stuff!

DrSally
10-19-2008, 03:36 PM
We used to do something like this on Mayday. On May 1st. we'd drop basets of flowers from my mom's garden or cookies or other little things like on a few neighbor's doorsteps that we were friendly with. I remember having a lot of fun with it as a kid. I've never heard of Booing.

pinkmomagain
10-19-2008, 04:02 PM
In our neighborhood, they don't pick strangers, it's always a classmate/friend. While it is a bit of PITA, and I probably wouldn't initiate it on my own, my kids LOVE it and are thrilled they were "ghosted" this year. We are lucky that there are no food allergies to deal with, but we do have braces! I just traded other goodies we had in the house for the sticky ones....no big deal for my kids. For those who have allergy or other concerns, maybe have the kids turn in the candy from the bags for a more suitable treat. When my oldest had dietary restrictions a few years ago, she still went trick or treating, but turned in her candy for a "voucher" for Claire's (girly store) where she picked out fun, non-edible things.

Overall, I think the booing/ghosting tradition is done in a spirit of kindness and fun.

shelikesmorningglories
10-19-2008, 05:40 PM

.Corie,there are days when I would cry tears of joy to find extra $ in my pocket.I'm happy that you find money so disposable.Not everyone does:)

Edited To Add:I guess what annoys me is the insinuation that people who don't like boo-ing are spoilsports or have bad hearts.I'm a nice person as are my children. We love Halloween as it is traditionally celebrated...with Trick or Treating and a class party.Booing is something,imho,that pushes Halloween into the same vein as Christmas. It's just too much.

Corie
10-19-2008, 06:22 PM
.Corie,there are days when I would cry tears of joy to find extra $ in my pocket.I'm happy that you find money so disposable.Not everyone does:)

Edited To Add:I guess what annoys me is the insinuation that people who don't like boo-ing are spoilsports or have bad hearts.I'm a nice person as are my children. We love Halloween as it is traditionally celebrated...with Trick or Treating and a class party.Booing is something,imho,that pushes Halloween into the same vein as Christmas. It's just too much.

I'm not sure if your entire post is directed to me but I never insinuated that people who don't "boo" are spoilsports or have bad hearts. I don't think anyone implied that in their posts and I have read the entire thread. In fact, I felt more negativity coming off the "Anti-BOOing" posts.

Also, as far as disposable income, I am lucky that I am able to
do little things like this with my kids. But I also don't drink Starbucks,
get my haircut like once a year, am still wearing 7 yrs. old holey maternity underwear, etc.

specialp
10-19-2008, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=shelikesmorningglories].Corie,there are days when I would cry tears of joy to find extra $ in my pocket.I'm happy that you find money so disposable.Not everyone does:)

Ouch. . . that seemed a bit harsh to me.
In any event, if you boo or not, or get boo'd or not, I hope everyone has a happy Halloween.

cdlamis
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM
[quote=shelikesmorningglories].Corie,there are days when I would cry tears of joy to find extra $ in my pocket.I'm happy that you find money so disposable.Not everyone does:)

Why do you *assume* that Corie finds money so disposable and why call her out on it? She was just explaining how/why she chooses to spend her $ on this. By the way, not once did I see anyone criticize those that did not find this tradition as endearing as they did. She (and others) enjoy it and find pleasure spending a few $ on it- everyone has the right to spend their few $ on what they want. Yes, it sucks to not have the $ we want (we are in this boat right now) but we can't go around challenging others on their spending habits.

Sorry, a little hormonal here but this was just a nice thread about a cute tradition- and it was interesting to read all the different opinions about it.

shelikesmorningglories
10-19-2008, 07:22 PM
[quote=shelikesmorningglories].Corie,there are days when I would cry tears of joy to find extra $ in my pocket.I'm happy that you find money so disposable.Not everyone does:)

Why do you *assume* that Corie finds money so disposable and why call her out on it? She was just explaining how/why she chooses to spend her $ on this. By the way, not once did I see anyone criticize those that did not find this tradition as endearing as they did. She (and others) enjoy it and find pleasure spending a few $ on it- everyone has the right to spend their few $ on what they want. Yes, it sucks to not have the $ we want (we are in this boat right now) but we can't go around challenging others on their spending habits.

Sorry, a little hormonal here but this was just a nice thread about a cute tradition- and it was interesting to read all the different opinions about it.
If you read through the thread, Corie states that boo-ing doesn't take a lot of time or money.

mytwosons
10-19-2008, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=cdlamis]
If you read through the thread, Corie states that boo-ing doesn't take a lot of time or money.

I was going to spend some time writing out a reply, but then realized some people just aren't happy unless everyone else is miserable with them.

I think it's obvious to anyone who has lurked here for any amount of time that Corie is a very kind person who has a lot of fun with her kids. And needs new underwear! ;)

Fairy
10-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Corie, I have some underwear if you need it, only mildly used!

Wait. Undies aren't usually shareable, right? Nevermind.

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Corie, I have some underwear if you need it, only mildly used!

:47:

Because, ya know, I like to use a smilie three times so I remember it....

Fairy
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM
What?.....

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Check out our twin replies on the Starbucks thread....

:47:

There. Three times. Now I'll remember it.

Pennylane
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Come on, get a grip! I think you are being a little harsh over something Corie posted that is just a fun idea. Do it or don't do it, no need to rain on her parade.

Ann

miki
10-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I think it's obvious to anyone who has lurked here for any amount of time that Corie is a very kind person who has a lot of fun with her kids. And needs new underwear! ;)

ITA!

Corie, if I lived near you, I would put together a tall Halloween basket and disguise it like a ghost. You would think it was a little kid who came trick-or-treating. :)

specialp
10-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Come on, get a grip! I think you are being a little harsh over something Corie posted that is just a fun idea. Do it or don't do it, no need to rain on her parade.

Ann

:thumbsup: ***EXACTLY!***
I just wish I would have said it so well.

KBecks
10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Most of our neighbors are retired and don't eat much candy. I think in younger neighborhoods where a lot of families with kids know each other it could be a lot of fun.

ThreeofUs
10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Never heard of it, but sounds like fun - especially with toy-type goodies. (Candy not so much at our house, kwim? We're either allergic or reactive....) I think I'll tell some friends and try it out next year.

And Corie, I'm with you on the underwear! rotfl

My maternity u'wear is falling off me - but it's all I have right now! I thought I was the only one!

fortato
10-19-2008, 09:58 PM
I think it's a great idea!! Disposable income my foot. You don't need to spend a fortune.... it's the thought that matters.

It's been a fantastic way for us to get to know our neighbors. We leave the ghost picture that says You've Been Booed" and a few pieces of candy... that's the least you have to do--but we tend to do more... for the families that don't have kids, or are older, we leave something other than candy... 2 beers, or a can of soup. It's all in fun. No need to be nasty about it.

mamicka
10-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Corie, I'm not a huge fan of booing (ghosting in our neighborhood). But I think you're just an all-around great person & I'd love to be your neighbor IRL. You can't buy a great personality or attitude. :D

AmyZ
10-19-2008, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=shelikesmorningglories].Corie,there are days when I would cry tears of joy to find extra $ in my pocket.I'm happy that you find money so disposable.Not everyone does:)

Well, considering that you have a trip to Disney planned in January, you must have some change floating around in your purse.

LarsMal
10-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Corie, I'm not a huge fan of booing (ghosting in our neighborhood). But I think you're just an all-around great person & I'd love to be your neighbor IRL. You can't buy a great personality or attitude. :D

:yeahthat:

I hated that I came into this thread with a non-booing opinion- didn't want to spoil the fun that others have with it! It doesn't mean I don't think others *should* do it, and it certainly doesn't mean that those who do, and enjoy it, should be put down for doing so.

I'd love to be your neighbor, too, Corie- or at least close enough to finally get into your super-cool BBB group!!!

I'm going to be on the lookout for great undies sales. When I find one, I'll let you know- get yourself some new undies, woman!!! How can you wear holey undies with gold lame? That's got to be some funky panty line!!!!

lizajane
10-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Never heard of it, but sounds like fun - especially with toy-type goodies. (Candy not so much at our house, kwim? We're either allergic or reactive....) I think I'll tell some friends and try it out next year.

And Corie, I'm with you on the underwear! rotfl

My maternity u'wear is falling off me - but it's all I have right now! I thought I was the only one!

can we do some mail order booing? because i am really enjoying my new packs of inexpensive target underwear (um, outgrew, ahem, my old ones and no, i am not pregnant) and i would REALLY like to put a three pack inside a plastic pumpkin for the two of you sketchy underwear wearers. ;)

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I could use a pack of twisty straws.... LOL

LarsMal
10-19-2008, 10:36 PM
can we do some mail order booing? because i am really enjoying my new packs of inexpensive target underwear (um, outgrew, ahem, my old ones and no, i am not pregnant) and i would REALLY like to put a three pack inside a plastic pumpkin for the two of you sketchy underwear wearers. ;)

Maybe we just need to get one of those chain mail letters going. The one where you're supposed to end up with hundreds of pairs of new undies. That should help them out!

Corie
10-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe we just need to get one of those chain mail letters going. The one where you're supposed to end up with hundreds of pairs of new undies. That should help them out!

That sounds great! I wear a size Jumbo.

The material on my underwear is so thin that the other night I was
laying in bed and I reached down to pull out a wedgie and I tore
a hole in it. That's not good.

BargainMomforLuke
10-19-2008, 10:52 PM

& this is another reason to love Corie!

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 10:53 PM

Good thing you're not married to Susan's DH. He'd hand you the roll of duct tape....

LarsMal
10-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Good thing you're not married to Susan's DH. He'd hand you the roll of duct tape....

I don't know how to copy two quotes, but I'm laughing so hard at you and Corie that I might have woken DD up! oops!

:ROTFLMAO:

MamaMolly
10-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Corie, I wish I lived next door to you! You'd get boo'd with a multi pack from the Hanes-Bali outlet!

:eek: and DD is over 2 and I'm still wearing my maternity panties! Yikes! At least I'm not alone....

ThreeofUs
10-20-2008, 01:40 AM

omg! bwaaahahaha!!!!!

:hysterical:

And I think the virtual "boo"ing (with packages of twisty straws and maybe some fine digital chocolate) sounds like a wonderful idea!

kep
10-20-2008, 06:54 AM
I dunno. We live in townhouses and Boo-ing hasn't come here yet but I kind of think of it like chain letters. You really *don't* have to pass it on if you don't want to.

The only other thought I had was how Boo-ing kinda negates the whole don't take candy from strangers thing. But then I'm a little weird about stuff...

We have always lived in apartments where nobody booed, but whenever I have heard it described, it usually goes through the whole neighborhood until all the houses participating have the ghost sign on the door (or in the window). The idea is to keep it going until everyone who wants to be included has been.

Ceepa
10-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Last year was the first time I had seen Boo kits at a store (Target). They were by the registers. Included were the Boo sign, the poems, some treat bags and I forget what else.

ETA: Corie is really cool even if you're not in her neighborhood. :)

lovin2shop
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Frankly, I doubt that it is just Corie that needs new panties since it seems that others here have theirs bunched pretty tightly.

lizajane
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM

how do you type the sound diet dr pepper makes as it comes pouring out of your mouth onto your keyboard?

lizajane
10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
DUH! it just occured to me... if you don't want to be booed, just put a boo sign on your window or door. i realize someone here got booed twice, but worth a try.

LarsMal
10-20-2008, 02:17 PM
DUH! it just occured to me... if you don't want to be booed, just put a boo sign on your window or door. i realize someone here got booed twice, but worth a try.

Yeah, I've already decided to hold onto mine for next year and put it out again (although we won't be living here next year, but maybe the next neighborhood will do it, too).

I have to say, though, after all my moaning about it, I went out today and bought my Halloween candy. I got home and realized I bought WAY too much. So now I'm going to put my boo bags together and deliver them tonight. I'm not ringing or knocking, though. I'm just going to leave it on the doorstep and let them find it in the morning. So much for my Boo-humbug!!!

LarsMal
10-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Frankly, I doubt that it is just Corie that needs new panties since it seems that others here have theirs bunched pretty tightly.

BWHAHAHAH! :ROTFLMAO:

(Wait...unless I was included in that "bunch", then :11: ) :)

egoldber
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
The other day, our neighbors came to our door to deliver some Halloween cookies they had made. It was fun, we all enjoyed them, and I don't feel any kind of obligation to go out and do it myself. (I have done othere things in the past myself for other holidays with no expectation of it being "passed on" or reciprocated.)

I guess my issue with Booing is why does it have to be a "thing". Why does it need rules, and a sign up list and a sign and special bags. Why can't people just drop off cookies or treats if that's what they want to do without it turning into something with a name and expectations?

It's kind of like how I hate scrapbooking. Somehow, now just putting photos in an album and labeling them isn't enough. They have to be cropped, put onto layered cardstock and outlined with cute sayings and stickers with half a craft store devoted to it.

Yes, I know some people think I have a stick up my butt, but I really dislike these new Michaels/Hallmark/M&M Mars created social obligations we put on ourselves now.

lovin2shop
10-20-2008, 02:26 PM
(Wait...unless I was included in that "bunch", then :11: ) :)

Nah, you've seen the light!

J/K, I can honestly understand the stress, cost, candy factor, but at the end of the day it's just Halloween and there are plenty of things that we do for our kids that involve inconveniences. It's easier lighten up and roll with it, I think.

Edited to make better sense!

DrSally
10-20-2008, 03:49 PM

:hysterical: Sadly, this sounds like a vaguely familiar scenario.

momof2girls
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
I can't believe how this thread progressed. All the OP did was post what I thought was a cute little message about Booing and then all these negative posts followed. If you don't like to Boo, then don't. I don't understand why so many people got so bent out of shape about it. It was just a innocent little post. No big deal.

KBecks
10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
omg! bwaaahahaha!!!!!

:hysterical:

And I think the virtual "boo"ing (with packages of twisty straws and maybe some fine digital chocolate) sounds like a wonderful idea!

We have not seen The Brownie Fairy in gosh.... more than a year? I never did it, but perhaps she should be resurrected and perhaps re-invented for another go around.

I feel a little bit awkward about the security factor but I think it was lots of fun even just to read the posts about it when it was going on. I'm not sure if we're "too big" for that or not.

I would also love to resurrect BBB retreats, I would love to get away but at the same time we are very busy with regular life and so I know it's difficult to plan and organize.

KBecks
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
The other day, our neighbors came to our door to deliver some Halloween cookies they had made. It was fun, we all enjoyed them, and I don't feel any kind of obligation to go out and do it myself. (I have done othere things in the past myself for other holidays with no expectation of it being "passed on" or reciprocated.)

I guess my issue with Booing is why does it have to be a "thing". Why does it need rules, and a sign up list and a sign and special bags. Why can't people just drop off cookies or treats if that's what they want to do without it turning into something with a name and expectations?

It's kind of like how I hate scrapbooking. Somehow, now just putting photos in an album and labeling them isn't enough. They have to be cropped, put onto layered cardstock and outlined with cute sayings and stickers with half a craft store devoted to it.

Yes, I know some people think I have a stick up my butt, but I really dislike these new Michaels/Hallmark/M&M Mars created social obligations we put on ourselves now.

I think you are on to something. OTOH, I love beautiful paper, although I DO NOT SCRAPBOOK, I don't mind that other people enjoy it. To me, it's an expensive and time consuming hobby. I did quilting once and realized that the crafty hobbies are not for me, period. I've been invited to scrapbook parties and I just can't go, and that's OK. I love getting the great cards though! It's insane how detailed they are.

DrSally
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't mean to resurrect this thread, but I just got Boo'ed! I found a lovely bowl with Halloween cake mix, some Fake lips, pumpkin baby socks and fork and spoon. I thought it was really sweet and DS liked it (also, no ringing the doorbell, the contractor just found it when he came this am). Then, my next thought, was, Oh, no, I have to run to Target this instant and get stuff!

So, my question is, how do I know who hasn't been boo'ed yet? Will they have a sign in their window. The note said to keep an eye out to see who has baskets on their doorstep to see how it progresses...I haven't noticed anything as I'm usually dealing with the kids in the early am.

ETA: Duh, I figured it out right after I wrote this. You put the sign out so people know you've been boo'd. I waited too long today and was Boo'd again! At least I know my new neighbors like us :p

mom2one
10-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi. I just wanted to add that booing is not just for the kids. My MOMS club group did this just to other moms in the club. The gift was meant for the Mom (the instructions clearly stated this). I never gave candy. Festive pumpkin napkins, or a beautiful ceramic pumpkin, or if you knew the person well something you knew they loved like coffee. (something that everyone could love and just enjoy fall or thanksgiving with). I viewed it as doing something fun for someone else-giving them a thoughtful surprise!

Happy boo-ing everyone!