PDA

View Full Version : Engorgement Advice

swrc00
10-18-2008, 04:43 PM
I am 37 weeks pregnant and am unable to breastfeed. I don't really know how to prepare for engorgement and to get my milk to dry up. I know the cabbage trick and the snug bra. Should I wear the bras I have been wearing or buy a snug fitting athletic bra? I have also heard some one bind themselves with ace bandages. Any advice is much appreciated.

sariana
10-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure, but I think there is something the doctor can give you (an injection maybe?) that helps your milk to dry up.

Are you able to pump? You could get a cheap pump (or a used one-doesn't matter if no one is going to be drinking the milk) and use it to relieve the engorgement. Use it less and less each day, like weaning.

buddyleebaby
10-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't wear a snug athletic bra or bind yourself with bandages. It's not going to make your milk dry up any faster and you'll end up with a plugged duct or worse.

KpbS
10-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I say stick with the slightly snug bra (sports or regular) and definitely go the cabbage route. I would imagine advil or tylenol as needed would be fine and help with the discomfort.

Here is an old post--check out the sticky under Kid Food--Bottle Feeding Resources--that I found very informative

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=276274

pb&j
10-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Snug sports bra, ace bandage, cabbage in the bra, bags of frozen peas, whatever meds your doc will recommend/prescribe to help dry you up, plus ibuprofen. Avoid massaging your breasts, avoid taking long, hot showers, or otherwise applying heat or stimulation to your breasts.

I found the engorgement after my first (stillborn) to be extremely painful. It was exponentially more painful than the engorgement I experienced when DS was a newborn and my milk was coming in (but I was nursing), or when he weaned. I couldn't have had my breasts unbound AT ALL for a couple of days - it was excruciating. I also would not recommend pumping at all - that WILL signal your body to make milk, which is the last thing you want.