PDA

View Full Version : Do you open your windows at home?

WatchingThemGrow
10-18-2008, 09:54 PM
We're getting estimates for new windows. Ours are 51 years old. Several have broken panes, they are single paned, covered with storm windows, and only a few of them open. Three have the added bonus of rotten sills. I think it is time.

We don't *plan* on staying here more than another 5ish years, and the house is in a neighborhood where there are about 1/3 rentals - some single moms, some families, some empty nesters who raised families here when it was not expected to have 1000 sq. ft. per family member. Nobody's really going "all out" when it comes to upgrades. We asked neighbors for referrals and got info that some got vinyl, some got aluminum. No one, from what we can see, used true divided light wood windows, so we're glad we have the choice of picking ANYTHING we want. Only about 1/2 of the houses have windows newer than 1975. Maybe 1/6 have newer windows.

So...in talking with salesmen, looking around, and thinking about it all, I finally decided to go check out the options at Lowe's and have one of their contractors come measure everything. Who knew that costs $35?

We had been given an $11K estimate for a composite double-hung window from Pella that seemed really nice. They suggested taking out the whole frame and replacing the window unit, not just popping out the stops and sliding in a new window that would make the viewing area smaller b/c the frame of the new window would sit inside the frame of the old window. Does that make sense?

Today at Lowe's, I looked around and came across the single-hung windows that have many of the characteristics of the double-hungs. The top just stays in place. The bottom tilts out for cleaning, and you can reach the outside of the top window from inside, I'm pretty sure.

If you're still with me, thank you... My question is...does anyone HAVE single-hung windows and does it make that big of a difference? I've asked 2 people who have double hungs if they ever even move the top window, and they don't. The blinds cover the top of the opening when they are retracted, so no air would really flow through there anyway. They both said they only ever open the bottom of the window when they want ventilation, and they admitted to not opening them very frequently at that. Would you get the singles if they are roughly $100/window when the double hungs are $235/window? We have 17 windows to replace.

$2300 seems like a WHOLE lot extra to pay for just the ABILITY to open the top window. BTW, the house is a single story ranch, so cleaning them with a ladder wouldn't be an issue.

heatherlynn
10-18-2008, 10:16 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, then I think I would just go with the single hung. I open the tops of our windows, but that's because we live in a split level/raised ranch and I'm paranoid about the kids falling out from the 2nd level. I'm not really sure if there are other reasons to go with double hung vs. single hung, though. Good luck!

doberbrat
10-18-2008, 10:34 PM
we have old old old windows too. so old they have a rope & weight system. (but I digress)

I alwasy open windows from the top. I dont want teh dogs being tempted to go through the screens, dd to fall out the windows even if its a single floor cottage and if the heat rises, then I figure opening the windows at the top provides more ventilation anyhow.

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I open my windows from the bottom even though they are double hung. Never considered doing it the other way really because I grew up always opening windows from the bottom. Plus, I'm too short to reach the top of many of mine. :) I just opt to keep all 2nd floor windows locked close for safety.

Beth

MamaKath
10-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I have only ever opened windows from the bottom. I recently found out we could open the tops when we were trying to put an ac unit in. I don't think I can reach the top though even if I wanted too.

kransden
10-18-2008, 11:57 PM
When we redid our old 1923 house. We had a mixture of both. Mostly single hung, but our front windows that faced the street were much more elaborate. We also used a reputable local window manufacturer called Cardinal instead of Pella etc. It saved us a lot of money! The windows have been in about 8 years and are still fine.

linsei
10-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Growing up, I had single hung windows, and they were fine.

I do like the double hung type for us. I think it is nice to be able to open the top part of the window. It makes me less afraid of my ds falling out. However, our window treatments do blow around more (and sometimes fall off) when the top part is open, so you might want to consider what type of window treatments you have before you decide to open the top part of the wiindow. Hope that makes sense :)

kijip
10-19-2008, 01:41 AM
I'd go for the single hung. Why spend 100% + more?

From the title of your thread, I thought the cheap windows did not open at all...in which case I say too darn cheap but so long as the bottoms open, save your $$.

niccig
10-19-2008, 02:41 AM
We had quotes today. The salesman told us to go for single hung because cheaper, but as both the dog (twice) and DS have gotten out the window, we want double hung as we just open the top. For the record, DS opened the window and was chatting to the gardener and on another occasion to DH. Note. I need to ask about the locks on the windows, are they DS-proof or not.

We don't open the windows a lot, but when we do, I don't want to worry about DS or the dog. Our windows are 18" off ground, so this may not be such an issue for other homes.

And I hear you about prices. I didn't know windows were so expensive... but shop around. We've gotten one quote, and this week I'm getting a few more. Check out http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/forum/ you can search for information on window brands etc.
In your situation, I might look at vinyl windows and if you can do replacement it's cheaper than new construction where you rip back to studs and build new. The replacement does make the glass pane smaller as it's a frame within a frame, but if your windows are big, ours are, we've been told it'll be negligible light difference. Anyways, look at the forum to get ideas. You can put in your area and people suggest good brands for your weather conditions. Someone might even know a dealer nearby.

Our city offers rebates on energy efficient windows, so check that too as you might get some money back. We're only doing part of the house, so I have to check if we can get anything. The other part of the house will be either next year or after that...

Mermanaid
10-19-2008, 12:14 PM
If you don't open your windows that much, go with the single hung. If you use the windows a lot, go for the double hung.

We replaced ours last Nov. and opted for double hung. Mainly for the safety of the kids. Opening from the top is so nice and I don't have to worry about them falling or climbing out (or tearing the screens!).

trales
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
We have both. I love the double hung downstairs, I leave the top open the 5 nice months a year. We have single hung upstairs, those are open all the time. We also have some crank out.

I love fresh air in the house. I love the opening at the top on the first floor for security. I can have the top and lock the bottom.

FYI - we have Anderson 300 windows.

Karenn
10-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I have double hung windows in the upstairs bathrooms. The bathroom windows are tall and narrow and start only 1 1/2 feet off of the floor. I do open the top on a fairly regular basis because in the bathroom, we've found it's nice to have some ventilation while maintaining some privacy. The rest of the house has sliders. In our old house, we had mostly single hung windows and I never missed the fact that they only opened one way.

Our city offers rebates on energy efficient windows, so check that too as you might get some money back. We're only doing part of the house, so I have to check if we can get anything. The other part of the house will be either next year or after that...

Our power company offered some impressive incentives if we got energy efficient windows & insulation. It saved us a bunch of money. Might be worth looking into.

Wife_and_mommy
10-19-2008, 12:51 PM
From the title of your thread, I thought the cheap windows did not open at all...in which case I say too darn cheap but so long as the bottoms open, save your $$.

That's what I thought.:ROTFLMAO:

I'd do the cheaper ones.

mecawa
10-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I currently have both single hung and double hung windows. In the new part of our home we have double hung, in the original part of the house we have single hung. I find the double hung easier, but only because of cleaning issues. I live in a two story house, embedded in the side of a hill, with a full walk out basement, so to clean some of our first floor windows, and to reach all of our 2nd floor we need staging not just a ladder. If that wasn't an issue I would probably be fine with single hung, because if I open the windows at all it is just on the bottom, even on my double hung windows.

WatchingThemGrow
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow, you guys have some really good insight. Thanks for helping me through the process of figuring out what to get.

Some facts: We live ON a busy highway. Well, our backyard faces it, just beyond our fence. The front of the house (LR, BRs) faces the neighborhood and it looks all sweet and serene. One side of the house looks toward public housing, just beyond the woods. SO, part of me wants to get the double hung so I can open the top and lock the bottom. But then again, I don't really see us leaving the windows open that often because of the highway noise. It's not bad, but you just don't want to hear a siren in the middle of the night, people in the intersection, or whatever.

With allergies, I find that I'm not able to leave them open in the spring as much as I'd like. FWIW, only a few of our windows open at all right now, and I've forgotten which ones. We do have a nice rollout Phantom screen on the front door as well as screens on some opening casement windows in the mudroom. We do use them and get a breeze that way, so maybe we would open them more than I think. The windows are at least 3' off the ground, 4' in the bedrooms and in the dining room. DD can't see out them yet. Our faux wood blinds take up a good 6" or so at the top when they are retracted.

I'm leaning right now towards just being vigilant with the kids when the windows are open and just getting the single hungs for the sake of cost. Then, when/if we move to a larger house that needs new windows, I'll opt for double hungs with more features. Of course, the first time wee see burglars hoisting one another into a window open on the bottom, I'll regret the decision.

Huge decisions like this stress me out. Maybe once we get more real numbers, etc, I will be able to put my finger on the right choice.

I know for at least 3 of the windows, we need to go down to the original opening. I feel like for the others we should do the same, just to brighten the interior up. We have lots of trees surrounding the house, so only a few windows get a lot of sunlight.

trales
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Regardless of which windows you pick, your house is going to be a lot more quiet with the new windows. Esp if you go to the original openings and really insulate. Good windows cut the noise by so much.

elephantmeg
10-19-2008, 07:21 PM
DH does but he's strange like that. I don't think it's worth the money for them though...

WatchingThemGrow
10-19-2008, 07:33 PM
So, if you were looking to buy a home and it had single hung lower (not lowest) grade Pellas, it wouldn't turn you off? Considering they are 3-4' off the inside of the house, and probably 8-9' off the ground?

Actually, anyone looking to buy this home would likely be a first-time buyer and may not know too much about what to look for. I don't want to scam anyone, but I want to be able to do some of the other projects we've been neglecting, like siding, sod, etc.

o_mom
10-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I think most people really don't look at the windows beyond if they can see through them. If they have been replaced in the last 20 years that's a bonus. Having replaced windows in the last house, DH was looking closer at them, but in the end the windows in this house leave much to be desired (casement - what is the appeal of these things? I can't stand them) but we have a massive yard and great layout so we live with them.

Seriously, my friends' brand new (as in they built it) house that cost over $350K had single hung aluminum windows. Granite counters, hardwood and ceramic tile floors, but cheap a$$ windows.

mytwosons
10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
So, if you were looking to buy a home and it had single hung lower (not lowest) grade Pellas, it wouldn't turn you off? Considering they are 3-4' off the inside of the house, and probably 8-9' off the ground?

Actually, anyone looking to buy this home would likely be a first-time buyer and may not know too much about what to look for. I don't want to scam anyone, but I want to be able to do some of the other projects we've been neglecting, like siding, sod, etc.

IMHO, a first time home buyer is going to see "Pella" and get excited.

I would definitely go w/the single hung and spend the money elsewhere.

WatchingThemGrow
10-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Ok, thanks for all your help in making this decision. I *think* I'm going to stop at Lowe's on the way to the gym today and plunk down the $5K to get the Pella 20 series double hung vinyl replacement windows. We're not excited about them per se, but since we can only see out through condensation, broken glass and a ton of dirt, we figure it is an upgrade.

For our job, we were quoted $11K from Pella themselves for the Impervia composite window and $8-9K from a window company for vinyl. We figured that for this kind of house in this neighborhood, it really wouldn't be prudent to spend more than this. We've already done the kitchen, baths, roof, HVAC, refinished the floors, gutters, fenced yard, new driveway, etc. The amount of updating in the other houses just doesn't touch what has been done here. It just makes us more able to stay here for a few more years, and that is a lot more cost effective than what we'd be spending on a larger house in the next neighborhood up.

Interestingly, Pella goes back to the original frame. The window company removes the sashes from the outside and uses aluminum cladding to cover anything. The Lowe's contractors remove the sashes from the inside of the house. Isn't that weird that they do it 3 different ways?

I'll post back after the event is finished (in like 3 weeks) in case anyone else is thinking about doing it.

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Ok, so the math was wrong. The Pellas are $6K, but they are coming tomorrow! I'm so excited, and I'm praying for a smooth installation day. It is cold and we have 2 small children. I'm pg, so I don't know how much help I'll be getting everything ready and cleaning up afterwards. I actually was able to hire a housekeeper for the next day so we can try to get things back in order for our 15 guest b'day party for DS this weekend. Things are busy here.

Thanks for guiding me in this decision as far as the usefulness of the double hungs. Can't wait!!!