PDA

View Full Version : B-day party at home--meal necessary?

lmintzer
10-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi. We are making Joshua a "Dr. Seuss" party for his 5th birthday. It should be fun--cute decorations, crafts, books, games.

I'm trying to decide on time of day. We could do a lunch party (11:30-1:30), but part of me would love to skip the meal part. I don't really want to order pizza, and I always find it hard to plan party food for young kids (lots of picky eaters, my son's food allergies, etc.). And then there's food for the parents, too. It's just a lot! I'm not a cook, and I'd much rather spend my efforts coming up with cool activities and decorations.

We could have the party from 3-5 and put on the invite "cake and Seuss snacks will be served". Do you think that's odd? I'm trying to think of all the b-parties we've been to (and it's a lot for the two kids). I can't remember a single one that didn't include a meal. Even the 2-4 parties have included pizza (which I think is a bit strange--who needs that much food mid-afternoon).

Thoughts on this? Do you think I'll offend anyone by doing 3-5 with no meal?

If you think we should do a meal (this will be on a Sunday--on his actual birthday), then does anyone have any cute ideas? No green eggs and ham. Joshua's allergic to eggs, and we are Jewish, so the ham doesn't work.
I was thinking we could make a huge put of Mac N Cheese and use food coloring to make it green or blue?

kedss
10-19-2008, 01:01 PM
I think if you do it from 1-3 or 2-4, (3-5 might br cutting it close to dinner for some folks)and have 'Cake and snacks' that should be plenty!
I think the green mac and cheese sounds fun! You could also make the other food you serve in interesting shapes or serve it in fun ways? just check out some of the seuss books,esp, the thinks you can think book-

hope this helps

lmintzer
10-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I was wondering if 3-5 might be a bit late.

I guess I'd rather not do 1-3 because Joshua still lies down for a little rest during that time. Even though he doesn't typically sleep, I wouldn't want him to be tired for his own party.

Wife_and_mommy
10-19-2008, 01:09 PM
I was wondering if 3-5 might be a bit late.

I guess I'd rather not do 1-3 because Joshua still lies down for a little rest during that time. Even though he doesn't typically sleep, I wouldn't want him to be tired for his own party.

If he doesn't actually sleep, he'll probably be okay. You could put him down a bit earlier that night. I like 2-4 better personally.

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I schedule our parties from 2-4 specifically to avoid having to serve meals. It *does* conflict with naps for some people (who seem to think if they complain I will change the time to suit each of them -- um, not). Pretty much all of our parties (b-day and annual Halloween) are 2-4. I specifically state on the invites that cake and light refreshments will be served. I serve cake, milk, water and juice for the kids, and have a large veggie tray and chips for the adults. Sometimes DH has beer for the adults, but usually only the dads partake.

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't expect a meal at all and see no reason why you should be obligated to serve one. I don't think anyone would even bat an eyelash about your choice not to serve a meal. And with a 5yo you don't have to worry about nap time. Like others have said, an early bedtime would work fine. I am in awe that your almost 5yo still naps! That must be nice!

Be clear on the invites what you plan to serve (it sounds like you already planned to do that though! yay! I love when people remember to do that!).

Beth

egoldber
10-19-2008, 01:42 PM
If you have it at a meal time, I think you're obliged to have a meal. But if you do it 3-5, I think that saying "join us for cake and snacks" is fine.

MelissaTC
10-19-2008, 01:50 PM
We have gone to many a party between the 2-5 range and there is always light snacks and cake. I wouldn't sweat it. And I wouldn't worry about 3-5 either. Most of the parties we go to are around that time and no one ever complains. If anything, it makes M ready for dinner because he spends so much time playing that he works up an appetite.

lmintzer
10-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks. It's good to know that some of you have been to "meal-free" parties. I honestly can't think of one--it's very strange. Jack is 7, so he's been to a ton of parties, and Joshua has as well.

I just didn't want it to seem like we were skimping.

I'd certainly do fruit, chips, cake, drinks, etc.

Tondi G
10-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I think fruit, a vegi platter and some chips n dip would be fine during that time frame. People can just carry on then and give their kids dinner when they get home from the party!

wendmatt
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
We've done DD's birthday parties from 2-4 so I don't have to worry about food. 3-5 is too early for real food and they wouldn't eat much, but enough to ruin a proper dinner later. Make sure you don't wait till close to 5 for cake though or it will too be close to dinner time!
Most people around here do 2-4 parties so they don't have to do food and it's fine with everyone.

mom2binsd
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
We did DD's 5th party from 1-3, specifically specified on the invite that " cake and juice" would be served....we've been to lots of parties where only cake and beverages are served...eating can take up a lot of time and with food allergies and picky eaters it is kinda complicated...I certainly don't expect my DD to be fed a meal at any birthday party...she's usually so excited she barely wants to eat!

kijip
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I think if you do it from 1-3 or 2-4, (3-5 might br cutting it close to dinner for some folks)and have 'Cake and snacks' that should be plenty!

I agree with this. The only time it is an issue to not serve a meal would be at a meal time. (I recently went to a no meal party over lunchtime (11AM-2PM) and I was not amused. They wondered why people had to leave early---um, we were all starving and had to go get something to eat!)

Melbel
10-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Another vote for 1-3 or 2-4. During these times, it is meal optional IMO and is the practice here (some people serve pizza, others do not). I do not like, however, for my kids to fill up on snacks/cake right before dinner so I would prefer to avoid the 5 PM end time if possible. It sounds like a very cute theme. For menu ideas (other than green eggs and ham), you may want to check out the cookbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Eggs-Cookbook-Georgeanne-Brennan/dp/0679884408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224444376&sr=1-1

Product Description
Ever wonder what green eggs and ham really taste like? They're yummy. And now everyone can whip up a batch for themselves using this fabulous cookbook. Filled with simple, scrumptious, wacky recipes for such foods as Cat in the Hat Pudding and Moose Juice and Schlopp, this unique cookbook will have the whole family hamming it up in the kitchen. Each recipe is accompanied by the original verse that inspired it, and the pages are laminated to protect against getting splatters of Sneetch Salad, Oobleck, and Solla Sollew Stew.

Have fun!

lisams
10-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I think you'll be fine as long as you put in the invite that it's cake and snacks. That's what I'd do and not worry about it at all. The kids will have a great time, and for those who eat dinner early I'm sure some reasonably healthy snacks will be fine to tide them over.

hillview
10-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Just went to a party hours were 2-3:30 with just cake and ice cream. Go for it!
/hillary

Asianmommy
10-19-2008, 04:33 PM
I've done afternoon parties without a meal. 1-3 pm or 2-4 pm is good. If that doesn't work for you, how about 2:30-4:30 pm? I wouldn't expect a meal at that time, and the cake at 3:30 pm would be less likely to spoil dinner for the kids.

mytwosons
10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
As a mom to a child with multiple food allergies, who can never eat the food served at parties, I would LOVE to get an invite stating cake and drinks only.

kransden
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I would be annoyed by a 3-5 party. We eat early, and both dd and I would be tired and crabby by 5pm. Then dinner would be rushed and unpleasant for us too. I vote for 2-4, which is standard here, or 1-3. I would not expect anything more than cake and drinks, although chips and a veggie/fruit platter would be nice too!

BTW, I love the Dr. Suess theme idea!!!!

lmintzer
10-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Maybe we'll split the difference and do 2:30-4:30 and make sure cake/snacks are in the middle.

I don't want other kids and families to be inconvenienced, but 1/1:30 is really not my son's best time. He often asks to go in his bed for a little while, believe it or not. I try to respect that rest time when I can, and I certainly wouldn't want him to feel out of sorts at his own party.

ETA: It's a different world with my 7 1/2 year-old 2nd grader. So funny how quickly things change. He's been invited to a party that ended at 9:45 p.m. (Yep, that's not a typo) and tried out for a soccer group that (unbeknownst to me at the time) has practices Fri. nights from 8-9 p.m.

Corie
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the 3-5pm time slot
and I would definitely not be expecting food. Heck, I wouldn't
even expect snacks.

nov04
10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
A little late, but just wanted to say I think your party plan sounds great.

neeter
11-01-2008, 07:11 AM
What do you guys think about a 3-4:30 pm time slot -- is cake and snacks okay, or would you expect pizza? Thanks!!

mytwosons
11-01-2008, 07:39 AM
What do you guys think about a 3-4:30 pm time slot -- is cake and snacks okay, or would you expect pizza? Thanks!!

I wouldn't expect pizza. That said, I love invites that state "cake", "cake and snacks", "pizza", etc., just so I know what I'm in for!

lmintzer
11-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks again.

We went with the 2:30-4:30 slot.

In the invitation, I used the strike through function to be funny. For ex., for place, I typed "McElligot's Pool" with a strikethrough and then "Joshua's House" afterword. For "Food", I did "Green Eggs and Ham" with a strike through, and then "cake and snacks". So think we were pretty clear--and hopefully made people smile.

JTsMom
11-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I think that was a very cute way to do the invites!