PDA

View Full Version : A long vacation WWYD

elephantmeg
10-19-2008, 03:40 PM
OK, so my dad's family is very close. He's one of 5 kids, I have 10 cousins and we're all close. We've been getting together every other year the last several years, renting beach houses. That grandma has paid for. Last year she moved into a retirement community and can't swing the houses, and all the grandkids are older/getting married so we need more and more rooms. So, the cost for a week at the beach is going to be $869 PER ROOM. So families with older kids will be paying their room plus a split of a room for unmarried kids. (Most of my aunts/uncles have incredibly good jobs in case you hadn't figured that out-NASA, a doctor...). We do OK and actually have enough money in savings to do this but that's not what savings are for IYKWIM. I work part time as a nurse so I can stay home more with the kids (who are the only great grandkids)

OK, option 1:
pay the money and stay with them

option 2:
we had indicated at the beginning that we could only pay $500 which they indicated was fine-grandma would eat the difference. Do we go this route? DH thinks not since we could technically afford the vacation. My parents say that if we don't then the rest will have to pay more since the houses they have selected have room for us.

option 3:
take our travel trailer (which was our investment into vacations!) and camp nearby. It would end up being about $300 between rental fees plus extra gas to pull a camper. The campground is about 25 min away and mom and dad said that the kids could nap in their room during the day so we could spend all day there and basically just sleep in the camper.

option 4:
offer to pay the $500 but if they find someone else who wants to pay the full amount for the room then we camp. (ie one of the cousins who probably isn't coming decides to come..). This is the best idea I can come up with.

other ideas? Ugh, family!

TIA :)

bubbaray
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Option 3 is what I would do. Then again, we like RVg and dislike our family.... LOL. I like the idea of being there, but away, KWIM? Plus, you got the RV for a reason, why not make use of it?

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
How about #5...look for a cheaper house. :)

I would do either 1 or 3. Is this your only vacation this year? How long is the vacation? If it is a week then that is a pretty good bargain, imo. But, you bought the RV so I think that practically you should use it. Not ideal in this situation, imo, since everyone else will be together but if $ is tight then it just makes the most sense.

Beth

Corie
10-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I would do option #1 or #3. I wouldn't feel comfortable
offering less.

elephantmeg
10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
How about #5...look for a cheaper house. :)

I would do either 1 or 3. Is this your only vacation this year? How long is the vacation? If it is a week then that is a pretty good bargain, imo. But, you bought the RV so I think that practically you should use it. Not ideal in this situation, imo, since everyone else will be together but if $ is tight then it just makes the most sense.

Beth

it is a week. I hope it will not be our only vacation. Money is not tight-we have just never spent this much money to go on vacation (we camp cheaply-at state parks without electricity lol) and we aren't extravagant with our money (we eat at home, I cook from scratch, we don't have all the gadgets) so that's why it isn't. We are also working on finishing the upstairs of our home which is taking up a lot of the extra money right now (we built a modular cape cod and only had them finish the bottom floor).

MamaKath
10-19-2008, 06:07 PM
No 1 or no 3. I don't think it is that expensive for a hotel/beach house, especially if you have time to plan financially for it. If you feel unable to financially do the beach house, but are wanting to participate in some way, then camp it. We have done this in the past and it definitely has its pros and its cons.