PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE - - - My never ending ear saga and rash

trales
10-20-2008, 08:08 PM
You guys were right, it was an allergic rxn to the ear drops. The good news is the infection is 95% gone. I have some new cream and stuff to clear it up. I will just have to wear my hair down for awhile to hide the oozing, pussing sores on my neck and ear.

The current state of things:
I have this rash beginning in my ear and spreading behind the ear, down my neck, into my chin and my hairline. In places it looks like bad big acne, in other places it looks like insect bites and it is oozing white and yellowish crust. The whole thing is red and ugly. I know it is not bug bites b/c it is below freezing and I have been in the lab all day. I have been putting hydrocort on it all day and it is doing nothing.

The background:
3-4 weeks ago I had a really nasty cold that turned into an inner ear infection. While there, they noticed wax and flushed with water, but did not get it all. I was given antibiotics orally and drops. Three days later is was so bad I went back to the PCP, they flushed again and told me it would get better. Three days later I went back again with a raging outer ear infection. They flushed again. 4 days later I went to the ENT, he looked in my ear and said the outer was caused by the flushing with water and the inner ear was near cleared up. He vacuumed it out, put in a wick and antiboiotic cream and sent me home with more drops. I have a follow up in two days.

Should I wait until Wed appt. or call in the morning and make them look at this rash. I assume it is all related. I am not the type that gets random, oozing, pussing rashes on my face and neck on a regular basis.

Did I mention it itches and kills.

What would you do?

bubbaray
10-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Could it be an allergy to the cream/drops? Yikes. Allergy to some chemical at work?

I'd try to go back earlier if possible.

Feel better!

trentsmom
10-20-2008, 09:17 PM
That is some rash! I'd call in the AM to let them know what's going on. No sense in suffering through one more day and night if they can get you in tomorrow. I hope the itchiness will let you sleep tonight!

bubbaray
10-20-2008, 09:19 PM
BTW, you can take benadryl for a rash like that.... It should help the pain and itching.

You may need some very strong steroid ointments. Betamethasone is old school, but is the very best one we've found (and we have a BASKET full of eczema remedies). Don't put a cream of any sort on it, you need an ointment or it will hurt.

Until you can get to a dr, I would do benadryl and maybe Vaseline.

HTH

lilycat88
10-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Any chance it could be shingles?

stella
10-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Any chance it could be shingles?

That was my thought, too.

bubbaray
10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm

4 page article.

LarsMal
10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
My first thought was an allergic reaction- either to an ingredient in the cream/ointment or the antibiotic itself. Were there any chemicals in what they used to flush it out? (I'm not familiar with ear flushing.)

I have had some nasty rashes over the past year and a half. After many visits to the allergist and derm I finally found out I have developed several chemical allergies since DD was born.

I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Nasty, itchy red rashes SUCK!!!

maestramommy
10-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Yikes! I'd call sooner.

trales
10-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I am glad I asked you guys, I was going to stick it out and wait until tomorrow. They said I did the right thing coming in today. Hopefully, the steroid cream will clear it up and I will have my ear back.

Fairy
10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Oh gosh. I've got nothin' for ya, here, but just wanted to send you support. :grouphug:

LarsMal
10-21-2008, 01:31 PM
You guys were right, it was an allergic rxn to the ear drops. The good news is the infection is 95% gone. I have some new cream and stuff to clear it up. I will just have to wear my hair down for awhile to hide the oozing, pussing sores on my neck and ear.

I'm glad you were able to get it figured out so quickly. It should clear up soon with the avoidance of the allergen and the new cream to clear it up.

Hope you feel better soon.