PDA

View Full Version : Easy Halloween drink for K class party

mom2binsd
10-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I offered to bring the drinks to DD's K Halloween party...I could be boring and bring Juicy Juice and orange cups...or

one of you ladies could give me a great idea for a fun way to make the drinks more Halloweeny-no major allergy restrictions in the class either.

There are 22 students.

o_mom
10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Orange sherbet in a punch bowl, pour 7-up over top. I think 1/2 gallon of serbet and 2 2-liter bottles of 7-up is about right.

MamaKath
10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
:yeahthat: You could also use orange soda for it. You can usually find seasonal ice cube trays, maybe float little pumpkin ice cubes in it.

SnuggleBuggles
10-20-2008, 08:26 PM
There are several fun Halloween themed drink ideas on Family Fun:
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/special/specialfeature/halloween_ms_food/

Target sells a brain shaped mould an you could mak colored ice in then float it in your drink bowl, maybe.

Beth

bubbaray
10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Fill a sterile surgical glove with a contrasting color juice and freeze. serve drink (I like omom's idea!) in a punch bowl. Its your "ice cube" and kinda spooky....

ETA: better explanation: http://www.todaysparent.com/craftsactivities/seasonal/article.jsp?content=20030912_152434_5100&page=1

Get a thin rubber glove (not the ones for doing dishes), fill it with coloured water (or use juice, kool aid, etc.) and freeze it. After it’s frozen, you can take it out of the rubber and put it in a punch bowl, using it as you would ice.

jerigirl
10-20-2008, 08:38 PM
You could also let the sherbet soften a bit and put that in the seasonal trays and refreeze. Then put it in the punch bowl and pour the soda over.
I have also made frozen hands to put in the punch bowl. (Just with water, but you could use juice, etc.) I got it from Martha Stewart several years ago but here are the same instructions.
http://halloween.tipnut.com/how-to-make-frozen-ice-hands/

ETA: Oops! Looks Like Melissa posted while I was typing!!!

mom2binsd
10-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Great ideas! I love the idea of freezing the glove and putting that in the punch bowl!

egoldber
10-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Call me the Halloween Scrooge (again) but I wouldn't bring soda or serve soda. Sarah's school actually has a no soda during the school day policy.

Wife_and_mommy
10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Call me the Halloween Scrooge (again) but I wouldn't bring soda or serve soda. Sarah's school actually has a no soda during the school day policy.

:yeahthat: I'd stick to some kind of juice drink I'd give my own kids. I don't feel right giving others' kids soda when my own don't drink it. I've never met a kid who wasn't thrilled by a juice box.

I made this in the spring for several parties and it was a knockout every time. You could do it sans berries if cost is an issue.

Ingredients
Makes 1 1/2 Gallons

4 cups water
3 cups sugar
6 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
2 cups coarsely chopped pineapple
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup orange juice
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 quarts seltzer water
Directions

Make a simple syrup: Combine the water and sugar in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside until syrup is completely cool.
Transfer syrup to a large container. Add strawberries, pineapple, pineapple juice, orange juice, and lemon juice; gently stir to combine. Fill two ice-cube trays with punch, and place in freezer. Place remaining punch in refrigerator to chill.
When ready to serve, remove punch from refrigerator; add the seltzer water and frozen-punch ice cubes. If transporting, add the seltzer just before serving. Serve in a large bowl or individual glasses.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/strawberry-punch

fauve01
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM

:yeahthat:

i'd actually be pretty ticked if DD had soda at school. i'm sure the kids would love juice instead!

mom2binsd
10-20-2008, 11:04 PM
I will do the juice for sure....if it was a house party with older kids I'd maybe do soda but not for school parties. I'll do a trial run with the frozen hand at home and am sure DD will love it.

bubbaray
10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
What about juice & club soda or sparkling water -- that would make a nice fizz with the sherbet.

o_mom
10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
:yeahthat: I'd stick to some kind of juice drink I'd give my own kids. I don't feel right giving others' kids soda when my own don't drink it. I've never met a kid who wasn't thrilled by a juice box.

I made this in the spring for several parties and it was a knockout every time. You could do it sans berries if cost is an issue.

Well, I don't give my kids juice. ;) To me, there is no difference between juice and soda. They are pretty much pure sugar and we only have them for special occasions (like parties). Unfortunately, juice is the norm for school snacks here, so it wouldn't be anything special. Anytime you are having 'punch', whatever the recipe, it's not going to be healthy.