PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid flame retardant in baby sleeper

kusumat
10-21-2008, 12:33 AM
I put DC(2mos) in a HA organic baby sleeper and wrap the baby with the organic miracle blanket. I don't think the blanket is going to last long. I am thinking about using the fleece Halo sleepsack. Does the fleece or polyester contain nasty chemical/flame retardant? If yes, what else should I use? TIA!

s7714
10-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Some fleece and polyester aren't treated per-se, but the flame retardant chemicals can be bonded into the fibers prior to it becoming a garment anyway. Here's a more detailed explanation:
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/pajamas2

Personally I try to only go for the cotton ones that specifically say they haven't been treated. It's been a while since I've been down the sleep sack road, but I know I bought a couple organic cotton sleep sacks a couple years ago for my younger DD. I know it was a European brand, but the name escapes me at the moment; I'll try to remember it!

kusumat
10-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Some fleece and polyester aren't treated per-se, but the flame retardant chemicals can be bonded into the fibers prior to it becoming a garment anyway. Here's a more detailed explanation:
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/pajamas2

Personally I try to only go for the cotton ones that specifically say they haven't been treated. It's been a while since I've been down the sleep sack road, but I know I bought a couple organic cotton sleep sacks a couple years ago for my younger DD. I know it was a European brand, but the name escapes me at the moment; I'll try to remember it!

Thanks. Is it the quilted one? I have the organic cotton sleep sack by Halo. but it is so thin. I think it would be good for summer not winter. Please let me know when you recall the name. Thanks again.

WatchingThemGrow
10-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Was it a Grobag?

kusumat
10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Was it a Grobag?

Where do you find good deals on Grobag? I just searched on-line. It is $94.95 for an organic Grobag. Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
not so many to be had. maybe those rare boutique codes you find on here. I decided I'd enjoy the Halo ones for that price.

s7714
10-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Was it a Grobag?

Edited to update: Grobag didn't look look right and I realized mine wasn't anywhere near the top of my newborn storage container, LOL.

After googling around a bit, I'm pretty sure mine was a Baby in a Bag, because I remember the different options for summer weight vs. winter weight. ( www.babyinabag.com ) I will say that they seem to to be cheaper now as I distinctly remember paying around $40 for mine and these start around $25! I don't see any organic options listed anymore though, but they have added other options like silk and minky!