PDA

View Full Version : medicine woes

SAHMIL
10-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Hello,

I have a 18-1/2 month old boy. He has a double ear infection that's pretty bad.

I need to know a good way to give him medicine without a fight. Amoxicillin (grape flavored) and he are j just not mixing :/

s7714
10-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Bribery. Pure and unadulterated bribery is the only way I used to be able to get my DDs to take their meds. (if it wasn't the sticky sweet tylenol grape flavor they like, iykwim). Chocolate chips. Marshmallows. That kind of stuff. Doesn't have to be a handful either. Two little chocolate chips sitting in front of my DDs made them swallow down their meds. without a second thought!

WatchingThemGrow
10-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm thinking we sneak it in with yogurt - like putting some of each on the spoon?? Just wait...if the Amoxicillin doesn't work, You get to try Augmentin, which is worse to try to get it down.

For giving meds, DH always puts them in the high chair, tilts them back, hands a toy and squirts it in the mouth.

tamie
10-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I agree with bribery- fruit crack (I mean snacks) work for us every time.

egoldber
10-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't imagine bribery working with a strong willed 18 month old. Honestly we just held her down. She takes a pacifier, and I would squirt in the medicine and then pop in the paci.

And I agree...Augmentin is soooo much worse!

sidmand
10-21-2008, 10:58 AM
We put it in his juice (mix of V8 Fusion and water and sometimes yogurt, fruit, vitamin power, etc.). It was the only way it ever worked. We called it "magic juice" and would only fill it partway so we could be (more) certain he had at least most of it.

lovin2shop
10-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I had a strong willed one and there was no amount of bribery that would work. I had to hold him between my legs and use the fish face method, hold his cheeks together and then squirt the medicine into the side of his mouth. A tip I picked up on the boards years ago.

elephantmeg
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
We put it in his juice (mix of V8 Fusion and water and sometimes yogurt, fruit, vitamin power, etc.). It was the only way it ever worked. We called it "magic juice" and would only fill it partway so we could be (more) certain he had at least most of it.

be very careful with this-they need to drink all of it so that they get the dose. Some kids are sneaky!

JTsMom
10-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Jason had to take meds twice a day for a looong time after his surgery- a year plus. The method that worked the absolute best for me was just doing it quickly and confidetly. No warning, aim towards the back of the cheek, squirt fast, no apologies. The further back you get it, the less he will taste it, and the less of chance he'll have to spit it out. Try not to make it into a big deal at all. The more time you give them to think about it, the bigger of a deal it becomes.

When I first started giving him his meds, I was way too wishy washy about it, but the nurses in the CICU trained me to do it the other way, and I swear by it til this day.

With an 18 month old, I'd probably sit him sideways on my lap, tip him back slightly and just do it.