PDA

View Full Version : How long can I use an infant swing?

daisyd
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Are there any weight/ height limits to the use of an infant swing? I seem to have an idea that an infant swing can be used only for 6 months, is that right?

Thanks much, Daisy

nfowife
10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
There is a weight limit. It should be in the manual. I think for ours (FP Aquarium) it was 20 or 25 lbs. I stopped using ours around 8 months both times, and DS slept in it pretty much full-time for the first 5 months.

sidmand
10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, usually the weight limit is about 25 lbs. We have the FP Aquarium and the Graco Sweetpeace and I'm pretty sure it's about the same for both.

You may be thinking 6 months because you're not supposed to use it if they can sit up (because they might sit up right out of it!). I think we used it until about 8 to 9 months though with DS and we just make sure to strap DD in because she is definitely starting to sit up in it! But yeah, we still use it for a lot of naps and at least part of the night. I'm not looking forward to giving that up yet, but soon...

citymama
10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Go by the weight limit and what seems safe. My DD only started to enjoy the swing at about 6 months, once she had been on the swing at the playground (go figure!) and we used it until she was about 10 months - but only for like 5-10 minutes at a time. I think ours had a 22 lb weight limit, and we used it till she was about 20 lbs - it seemed kinda tippy at that point so we gave it away.

MmeSunny
10-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Some of the newer Graco models go up to 30 lbs. We bought ours about this time last year and it had the higher limit. Adeline loved it until she found out she could move on her own--about 6-7 months. Then it became a prison that she refused to go in. Same thing with the bouncer and playpen. . .total waste of space after 6-7 months in our experience. Hopefully your kiddo will tolerate them longer!

Tammy
10-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I think ours was a 25 lb weight limit. My dd loved it and used it until she was probably 18-19 months. She used it regularly from just a few months old until maybe 14 months- then a few days a week after that. I definitely recommend it though- it really helped us at times when we needed a break or just wanted to eat supper.

daisyd
10-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Its helped to hear what everyone has to say. I want to get a swing for DS who is 5 weeks old now. Only I didn't want to spend a lot and find he didn't like it or if he used it only for a month or two. He's on the tall side, so i was wondering about the height limit...

elephantmeg
10-29-2008, 02:12 PM
no real hight limit. DD still uses hers some at 7ish months.

Tondi G
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
we have an older model graco open top swing and my 1st DS didn't really like the swing till he got a little older. Then he started falling asleep in it for naps here and there... maybe around 6 to 9 months... we used it here and there till he reached the 25lb weight limit.

daisyd
10-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks elephantmeg and tondi!

Daisy