PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper alternative to Simple Human trash cans?

pastrygirl
10-21-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm looking for a new kitchen trash can. Right now, we only put non-food trash into the trash can, because otherwise it stinks horribly very quickly. We keep a small bag on the counter and put all our food trash in there, and take it out every day (or several times a day if I'm cooking a lot). We empty the big trash can maybe once every two weeks.

My husband started thinking that if we could find a trash can that can handle the stink better, that we can go back to just having one place in our kitchen to throw everything away (and, we wouldn't have to confuse our guests with the "No Food" sign on our trash can...) I immediately thought of Simple Human, because I've wanted one for years, but they are too expensive.

Are there any good alternatives that will keep the stink in, allowing us to take out the trash once a week? One that is easy to use?

Or, in terms of Simple Human... does anyone know of any Container Store coupons? BBB no longer sells the butterfly lid one, which is the style I'd need, to go under the kitchen island overhang. Thanks for any help!

KHF
10-21-2008, 10:15 AM
If you have a Sam's Club membership, we got our rectangular can there for about $45. It's the size of the Simple Human ones, without the gigantic price tag (it's stainless steel). Though, it may not work since it's not a butterfly lid, but because it's rectangular, it just might. The lid doesn't open as "high" as the round ones.

pastrygirl
10-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Do you know what the brand is? Does it hold in the stink well? We've had two stainless steel trash cans over the years (one was from BJ's, the other from Bed Bath & Beyond). They both get super stinky quickly, are a pain to use, and the bag is visible outside the can. I think I'd like to try another name brand that isn't as expensive as Simple Human.

KHF
10-21-2008, 11:12 AM
If you look on the Sam's site, the one we have is called "Commercial Brushed Stainless Trash Can."

There is a liner inside that I spray disinfecting spray on occasionally, and we don't have a problem with it stinking. We put all of our food scraps and everything in it and empty it every few days. There is an inner lip that we put the trash bag on and you can't see it from the outside. We've had this can for over a year and it still smells fine.

We have a Simple Human can that we use for diapers and it is RANK!!! I've put bleach water in it and everything trying to dampen the odor and so far nothing has worked. I've cleaned it regularly, but the diaper smell is just too much for it, I think.

pastrygirl
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
That one looks nice! I asked my husband what he's looking for in particular. He thinks our current one is a little too narrow (it's round). I can't stand the "clang" when it opens and bangs against the counter. A plastic lid would help with that. I'm going to see if I can find a one-day membership pass to Sam's, so I can check it out. Thanks!

kimbe
10-22-2008, 07:04 PM
We have this one and I LOVE IT!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11277583&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

Might be too narrow for your husband, but the fact that you don't have to touch anything is wonderful!

pastrygirl
10-22-2008, 08:08 PM
How does that work with toddlers? I imagine it would be opening all day long, LOL!