PDA

View Full Version : DD's 'Roid Rage Tantrum of the Day! (oops, LONG!)

LarsMal
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
And it's only 11:00! I'm sure there will be another one or two before the day is over, but I don't know if they'll compare to the award winning one she just had!

We dropped DS off at school today- on a pretty chilly morning, with a playground that would stay cool and shaded. I realized the jacket he has just isn't warm enough for the chilly school mornings.

I took DD to Kohl's to see if I could find him a heavier fleece- a $40 Osh Kosh reversible for $18, SWEET! I had seen a hat at Children's Place yesterday that would match nicely, so we headed to the mall. The stores weren't open yet, so we went to Starbuck's and shared a blueberry muffin. Everything was great and happy in DD World. I was thinking it was so nice to spend time alone with DD when she's being so sweet and good. Totally jinxed myself!!!

She wanted to go to PBK- fine, no prob, we had time to kill. She was playing fine until some little girl took something from her. DON'T cross DD! She got all pissy and tried to get it back from the girl. The mom and I stepped in. I pointed out that DD still had a cup and she needed to share. Other mom just kept saying, "share share"...which is fine, but really, your DD took it from mine, so she should give it back and THEN let DD share. But, whatever, I just tried to calm DD down and redirect her. She wasn't having it. So, I told her she needed to stop or we were leaving. NOPE, just made it worse. She was heading into full meltdown- fall on the floor, roll around screaming, tantrum- and the girl has some serious lungs! I dragged her out of the store- kicking and screaming- still trying to calm her down. Luckily it's an outdoor mall, so it was loud, but no echoing! She's wiggling and thrashing...but I REALLY needed to get DS that hat from TCP- the whole point of our mall trip. After trying to calm her down for a couple minutes I decided screw it, I knew where the hat was, it would take 2 minutes. Despite the stares and looks of disgust, I went for it! I even put DD on the ground while I paid- still rolling, kicking, screaming. I just pretended I didn't see or hear or, or anyone else around for that matter!

Then I had to carry her through Dick's to get back to my car- with some very scared men in there either thinking, "Is *that* what my wife deals with?" or "THAT'S why I'm never having children!"

I had to wrestle her into the car, which took another five minutes. I even had a woman next to me in the parking lot offer me a lolipop to give her. I said thanks, but she was so far gone it wouldn't help.

She didn't let up for about 30 minutes!! I drove home, dragged her inside, threw her in her crib, shut the door, and when I finally went back to get her she stopped and said, "All done now, Mommy"

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

But, I never yelled (I did have to raise my voice over hers, but I was just very stern, not *yelling*), and while I did give her a pinch on the leg to see if I could shock her, I didn't hit her- and man did I want to!

Wow, this got longer than I thought...good therapy!

Of course I called my mom in the midst of it, which was a mistake since all she could offer was a laugh and, "Now you know what you were like at 2! I've told you I used to leave the house so the neighbors could see I wasn't beating you." Now I understand! That's exactly how DD sounds!

octmom
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I think I remember you mentioning once where you live, and I had to laugh because I was at that mall last Friday (I live about 45-60 minutes west on 64) and my 2.5 yo DD threw a tantrum in the same PBK! She was so mad that she started howling something that sounded like either Polish or Russian (she threw in 'ski' several times) and I had to bring her outside to settle her down. DS and I actually had to laugh at DD because she was being so ridiculous. Lucky for us, she calmed down as soon as we got outside. even funnier is that my mom was visiting and was with us and told me how much DD is like I was as a little girl. :lol:

elephantmeg
10-21-2008, 01:07 PM
oh dear. sigh. Hope the rest of the day went smoothly!

LarsMal
10-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I think I remember you mentioning once where you live, and I had to laugh because I was at that mall last Friday (I live about 45-60 minutes west on 64) and my 2.5 yo DD threw a tantrum in the same PBK!

Yep- that's the mall!! My kids think of it as an outing, so I practically live there.

Luckily we only live a couple miles away, so I didn't have to listen to it for too long in the car. I'm pretty sure they will have her picture on the store windows soon with the "NO" symbol on it!