PDA

View Full Version : Q about loose teeth & new teeth coming in behind

caleymama
10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
6yo DD has not lost any teeth yet. Her two bottom front teeth are wiggly, but not near coming out. I noticed last week that the two corresponding adult teeth were visible under the gum behind the baby teeth. Just now I noticed that they have broken through the gums. Her baby teeth are a smidge looser, but not much. Does this warrant a call to the dentist or is it likely that the adult teeth coming up will get the baby teeth moving & eventually out?

I know I need to get my medical advice from our dentist, but I'm mainly just wondering what others' experiences with this have been. I was slow to lose my baby teeth and had to have several pulled over the years, but not these first two.

TIA :)

egoldber
10-21-2008, 11:44 AM
This is very common. Sarah actually just lost (at age 7!!) her first two teeth, and it was those two, the bottom front teeth. By the time they came out (they were loose for a longgggggggg time) the two permanent teeth had already erupted and were halfway in.

The only time you need to be concerned is if the baby teeth are still there weeks or months after the permanent teeth have fully erupted.

caleymama
10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your reply Beth. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm going to let them go, which was my inclination, and hope that the baby teeth come out sooner rather than later. One of the two teeth has been a little loose for probably 6 months and the other is newly loose.

mom2binsd
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Don't panic like I did!

I also noticed that DD age 5 had an adult tooth coming in behind a bottom baby tooth that was a little loose (I'm ashamed to admit the new tooth was pretty far through, guess I should pay better attention).

I called our dentist and they assured me it normal, to keep wiggling the loose tooth and to come in if the loose tooth doesn't fall out and the new one starts coming in funny (we have an app't in Nov anyway).

Tondi G
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Same thing happened with my DS's first loose tooth. The adult tooth was in behind it and I was so worried it was going to mess things up in his mouth. The tooth finally came out in a piece of pizza! He lost 2 more teeth since then... we are waiting on the 2nd front upper to fall out finally!

toothfairy
10-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Wiggle those wobbly teeth! If the primary teeth didn't budge at all I might be a tad concerned, but since they're loose don't worry just yet.

Amy